Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Oh, I agree. I thought the routes were just announced for JFK-SF/LA for right now. Boston-SF/LA seems like would be the next expansion step, if the JFK routes go well. I do wonder if they will introduce it on flights like BOS-Seattle, BOS-Las Vegas

I wouldn't count on Boston-Seattle and Vegas. I could see NY-Seattle being marginally viable but I wouldn't say the odds are very high. Another thing to note, from something I read earlier, they only have about 12 of the 2-class A321's coming so they might only be able to get away with NY-LA/SF. The next logical route would be Boston-SF but depending on the frequencies, they might not have the equipment.

Seattle already has perhaps too much capacity on it between JetBlue and Alaska. I believe this year there will be 4 daily flights between the 2 during off peak (which is down from 6 dailies during the peak summer).

I could see JetBlue running these planes on Boston-San Francisco and put some pressure on United.

Speaking of something else, the new American is going to have a very strong position in Boston once the merger is complete next year. The combined carrier will have flights to Miami, Charlotte, Chicago, Richmond, New York - LGA, New York - JFK, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Phoenix, Washington - Reagan and Los Angeles. Along with season service to some Caribbean destinations and Paris.

Will be interesting to see what kind if streamlining happens.

Speaking of something else, the new American is going to have a very strong position in Boston once the merger is complete next year.

Will be interesting to see what kind if streamlining happens.

Also, you should include the Tokyo, London, and Madrid Flights since they are all operated under a joint venture with American Airlines.

If Qatar were to start Doha, you would include that as well though it would just be a codeshare and not a JV.

Massport has released the numbers for July.

Through the first 7 months of 2013, a total of 17,398,665 passengers have flown through the airport. This is a 1.7% increase over the same period of 2012. It looks like there's a very good chance 2013 will top 2012 and be the busiest year in Logan's history.

Total international passengers stands at 2,616,730 which is up 4.1% from the same period in 2012.

JAL loads look to continue to be pretty strong at about 87% for the month.

Massport has released the numbers for July.

JAL loads look to continue to be pretty strong at about 87% for the month.

The number may actually be higher than 87%.

There was an extra trans-pacific flight that month (possible charter?) since it said there were 64 takeoffs and departures. There only should have been 62 with 31 days in July.

Also, the Copa flight looks to have been listed under Caribbean and not Central America so we can't get a good number for the loads on the 2/3rd's of July the flight operated.

DOJ's filing suit to block the aa/us merger . . . yet another example of government inappropriately sticking it's nose into private business. These clowns are out of control.
The resultant merger would yield a company only slightly larger than the recently-merged united/continental, the not-quite-as-recently-merged delta/northwest, and southwest. Just how catastrophic do they expect the effect to be on consumers? And why should airlines have to operate unprofitable routes--it makes ZERO business sense to do so.

You give someone a job, and he feels he has to do something to justify getting his paycheck. You give too many people government jobs, and that justification becomes destructive.

DOJ's filing suit to block the aa/us merger . . . yet another example of government inappropriately sticking it's nose into private business. These clowns are out of control.
The resultant merger would yield a company only slightly larger than the recently-merged united/continental, the not-quite-as-recently-merged delta/northwest, and southwest. Just how catastrophic do they expect the effect to be on consumers? And why should airlines have to operate unprofitable routes--it makes ZERO business sense to do so.
I generally agree, but I'm hoping the purpose is to squeeze a few slots out of US at DCA and then settle.

Free markets break down at slot-controlled airports--especially where the slots are not regularly re-priced and re-allocated. DCA is this way, with both slots and a perimeter rule, US's operations aren't so much a "private business" as they are a government-granted monopoly on slots that are supposed to be for the public good. But by under-using the slots, US limits capacity and raises costs.

Southwest's filings for new slots at DCA have done a fabulous job of showing how consumers are hurt at DCA. Flying a 120 seat 737 to a Southwest city generates lower fares and more trips--the kind of private enterprise that is good for consumers. US's flying in RJs to captive cities produces limited service and high prices. It benefits a few (congresscritters and their cronies) but hurts way more people and to a greater extent than are "helped" by the RJ service.

So I would be happy to see the DOJ "take back" and auction some US and AA slots--they aren't private property, they're a public good.

If JetBlue won an auction for more DCA slots, I think you could expect them to use them to immediately increase BOS-DCA frequencies--it is a perfect market for JetBlue that JetBlue is shut out of by US/AA's slot squatting.

ConRAC opening has been pushed back a week.It will now begin operations 9/25.

I generally agree, but I'm hoping the purpose is to squeeze a few slots out of US at DCA and then settle.

So I would be happy to see the DOJ "take back" and auction some US and AA slots--they aren't private property, they're a public good.

DOJ's point of view is that AA merging with US takes a Low cost carrier out of the market (that carrier being US) and thus is more concerned about the effects of the merger on the entire country instead of one airport.

A couple one-off charters to Logan from Jet2 a Low Cost Carrier in the UK have been announced for Spring 2014. These are very similar to Allegiant Air routes in many ways.

Glasgow-Boston for St. Patrick's Day Weekend

Leeds/Bradford-Boston for Easter Weekend

http://www.jet2.com/new/discovery-weekends/
http://www.eturbonews.com/37292/british-low-cost-airline-launches-flights-us

Could this be the start of "low cost" transatlantic service? The carrier did state that, if successful, it will pursue more of these ventures.

Could this be the start of "low cost" transatlantic service? The carrier did state that, if successful, it will pursue more of these ventures.

Interesting question. I've always thought that this is impossible - not because the distances are so long or jet fuel so expensive but because airports and governments tax the hell out of planes from foreign countries. At least that's what I'd heard, but I'll defer to kmp1284 on that one.

Would be very cool if a low-cost trans-Atlantic business model did come about. Will keep my eyes open for that.

Interesting question. I've always thought that this is impossible - not because the distances are so long or jet fuel so expensive but because airports and governments tax the hell out of planes from foreign countries. At least that's what I'd heard, but I'll defer to kmp1284 on that one.

Would be very cool if a low-cost trans-Atlantic business model did come about. Will keep my eyes open for that.

Just priced everything out:

Jet2.com - Glasgow-Boston-Glasgow is 499 UK pounds or 777 US dollars
Jet2 does charge fees for checked baggage, seat selection, and credit card/Paypal payments

Baggage 30 GBP for one bag each way (OUCH!)
2-2.5% Credit Card/Paypal Fee

Other carrier 1-stop prices for same date

Aer Lingus = 714
Icelandair = 738
One world JV (American+BA+IB) = 788
Delta/KLM = 800
United = 964
Virgin Atlantic = 1069

So Jet2 would not be the low-fare carrier though they would obvioulsy be the most convenient route. Taxes are a huge part of the fare - about 200-300 depending on how you route your flight. EDIT: The Jet2 flight has 270 USD in taxes and airport fees added to base fare.

It may be tough to compete against the established carriers with scheduled daily service. The nickel and diming on baggage and credit card payments will also aggravate the US consumer especially when Icelandair gives you 2 checked bags for free from Boston. Right now these flights are strictly marketed to UK originating passenger due to schedule.

Still, having a few weekly or bi-weekly flights from secondary UK airports may work during the summer or other peak travel times. I think that's what the future will hold.

Someone tried this a few years ago; a Euro ULCC running a couple flights a week during the summer from Glasgow and I think it might have been Cork to Boston and NYC. I think they've since gone under. If there was a market for this sort of thing I'd imagine RyanAir or one of the more established ULCC's would be getting in on the action.

Someone tried this a few years ago; a Euro ULCC running a couple flights a week during the summer from Glasgow and I think it might have been Cork to Boston and NYC. I think they've since gone under. If there was a market for this sort of thing I'd imagine RyanAir or one of the more established ULCC's would be getting in on the action.

That was flyglobespan and it was Knock and Glasgow. They were pretty close to daily on Boston - Glasgow at one point but they had some reliability and then financial issues.

RyanAir definitely has studied Transatlantic it but they are 100% 737 as well.

Jet2 is a more of a mature operation and they are just dipping the pinky toe in right now. This is really more of a "public charter" right now too.

Cool! Would they fly a 777 out of logan?

After those other cities are added, and maybe some more in Texas, it will be interesting to see how many other places they open up in the US. I imagine there aren't a ton of second level cities with huge numbers going to Dubai or beyond that emirates can split.

Back