Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Ah, thought it was being built inside the loop for some reason, but couldn't really envision where it'd go.

Emirates to start Boston-Dubai in March!

They will use the 777-200LR to start as kmp1284 accurately predicted.

EK 237 Dep DXB 0945 Arr BOS 1515
EK 238 Dep BOS 2255 Arr DXB 1910+1

http://www.ameinfo.com/emirates-spreads-wings-atlantic-announcing-boston-354820

I was expecting a schedule similar to Washington D.C. with a post midnight departure from Dubai. Like Turkish and Copa, the plane will sit at Logan for quite a bit!

There will be 555 extra seats going across the Atlantic daily by mid-June next summer. How will the European Carriers and Delta react? In some ways Turkish Airlines is a bigger thorn in their side since they can grab Tel Aviv and Athens plus some other Eastern European traffic as well.

Wow, I think we all knew it was pretty much coming, but not this fast. Looks like they are trying to jump in front of Turkish with a March start.

Needless to say, Logan is going to have a pretty impressive array of carriers with COPA, JAL, Turkish and now Emirates joining the lineup.

We'll have to see how things play out in 2014. I am sure we won't see any real changes until 2015 by the incumbent European carriers and how their flights have been hurt by the Istanbul and Dubai non-stops.

Somehow the Globe reporter missed the part about Emirates getting a $1.5 million kick-back sweetener from MassPort in order to convince them to start service.

From Boston Business Journal:

To help the Emirates service get off the ground here, the airline will receive an incentive package valued at $1.5 million through Massport’s “International Air Service Incentive Program.” The Massport spokesman tells me Massport will waive all landing fees in the first year, and half of the landing fees in the second year, for a total benefit of $1.2 million. (Massport calculates the fees based on the size of the plane.) There will also be $350,000 in marketing and promotional support extended to Emirates in the first year.

www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bottom_line/2013/09/massport-offers-15m-to-emirates.html

Which makes me wonder about this timely article in today's Globe about how Chinese tourists would come to Boston and spend money if only there was an airline that flew here directly.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/20...se-tourists/GKN8ePFX1z6CXQSL0ufdsK/story.html

Somehow the Globe reporter missed the part about Emirates getting a $1.5 million kick-back sweetener from MassPort in order to convince them to start service.

From Boston Business Journal:

www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bottom_line/2013/09/massport-offers-15m-to-emirates.html

Which makes me wonder about this timely article in today's Globe about how Chinese tourists would come to Boston and spend money if only there was an airline that flew here directly.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/20...se-tourists/GKN8ePFX1z6CXQSL0ufdsK/story.html

All major airports in the USA give kickbacks to these airlines to start service including hub airports such as Dallas-Fort Worth and Miami. The Globe had mentioned this subsidy in articles about the Panama City and Istanbul flights.

Thanks! Great stuff!

Barcelona surprises me as the largest O&D market with a flight. What is stimulating such demand?

Any chance that Air Canada or any other carriers could tap into a flight to Vancouver? (Especially Air Canada, with their hub connections to Western Canada and the Asia-Oceania region of the world.)

Is Mexico City really strong and profitable enough at this point?

Slightly off-topic, but any chance we could see JetBlue open a lounge similar to the one they recently opened at JFK, especially with plans for long-haul "first class" seats?

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/2013/02/26/lounge-to-open-at-jfk-t5-in-may/

Just to expand on this, with Emirates coming in, will the feed into and from JetBlue's Boston hub, since the airlines have an interlining and codesharing arrangement, and the ability for flyers to collect miles/points on each others frequent flyer programs?

Looking ahead, it sounds like the next target the airport is chasing is El Al Airlines to Tel Aviv.

Down the line, I've read that Qatar Airways is looking at starting service to Boston to their hub in Doha. And I would say it's a very sure bet that Korean Air will start daily service on the Boston-Seoul route once they start receiving their 787s. And the non-stop service to China that suppose to happen seems to still up in the air.

Boston looks like it will be in great position in terms of its offerings, and it will be a big boost to businesses (currently in the area and in attracting new ones), and I would argue that it's very competitive when it comes to pricing compared to other US airports.

I looked at the airport's FB page about the announcement, and dear god...the first comment: "This is needed why?" Luckily, someone asked a question back questioning this statement.

Last edited:
With Turkish and Emirates coming, I think El Al has very little chance, if any at all, of starting service.

Qatar has stated in various interviews/reports that Boston is very high on their radar and a city perfect for the 787. However with the recent announcements, they will probably stay away for a while. I am going to assume had Emirates not announced they're starting non-stop flights to Boston that Qatar would have been the first Gulf carrier to give Boston a go.

A non-stop to China is probably Massport's top concern right now.

Just to expand on this, with Emirates coming in, will the feed into and from JetBlue's Boston hub, since the airlines have an interlining and codesharing arrangement, and the ability for flyers to collect miles/points on each others frequent flyer programs?

I have a friend who's a pretty senior exec at Jet Blue and he claims they're largely responsible for Emirates, Turkish and JAL coming in. Because Jet Blue code shares with each, and because Jet Blue has so many flights out of Logan, he said they're expecting a third of the passengers on each of those routes will be using Boston for connections.

With Turkish and Emirates coming, I think El Al has very little chance, if any at all, of starting service.

Qatar has stated in various interviews/reports that Boston is very high on their radar and a city perfect for the 787. However with the recent announcements, they will probably stay away for a while. I am going to assume had Emirates not announced they're starting non-stop flights to Boston that Qatar would have been the first Gulf carrier to give Boston a go.

A non-stop to China is probably Massport's top concern right now.

I think the European carriers (along with Turkish Airlines) will more than fulfill the need to Tel Aviv/Israel with their hubs, networks, and frankly, better product, frequent flyer programs, and service. El Al is a bit of a tricky airline.

I could still see Qatar coming in the next few years, especially as they build up their economy, investment dollars, tourism, and Doha hub network. They will be joining the Oneworld Alliance, and depending on how the AA-US merger shakes out, it might help get them to Boston. But, for right now, there will be over 500 daily seats added to the capacity, so that might be too much for another regional carrier to jump into right now.

I agree on the China front. Beijing or Shanghai? I think a carrier like Korean Air would do well in connecting traffic from New England to Asia through it's Asian hub with it's big, efficient, and growing hub in Seoul, as JAL is limited in Tokyo due to the slots.

I have a friend who's a pretty senior exec at Jet Blue and he claims they're largely responsible for Emirates, Turkish and JAL coming in. Because Jet Blue code shares with each, and because Jet Blue has so many flights out of Logan, he said they're expecting a third of the passengers on each of those routes will be using Boston for connections.

Interesting. I could see that, but I think all these airlines would have no problems in serving Boston without JetBlue's network here. It will only help though, but wouldn't their JFK hub be a better connection point?

Last edited:
The local Boston-Dubai market is very small. It's sure to see some stimulation with the non-stop flight being introduced. So connections will be needed to fill the planes. Emirates will also count heavily on people making onward connections through their growing Dubai hub.

http://www.boston.com/travel/destin...enter-logan/O27otuxufsg8lLI9y01uAP/story.html

Quick blurb in the Globe about the new rental center at Logan.

The local Boston-Dubai market is very small. It's sure to see some stimulation with the non-stop flight being introduced. So connections will be needed to fill the planes. Emirates will also count heavily on people making onward connections through their growing Dubai hub.

The move is certainly to plug into it's move to move traffic through their Dubai hub.

Will see Dubai and Boston/New England increase their marketing presence in each others' markets?

The move is certainly to plug into it's move to move traffic through their Dubai hub.

Will see Dubai and Boston/New England increase their marketing presence in each others' markets?

I know for a fact this route will have positive residual affects locally on the luxury real estate market in Boston. A growing number of international college students and their families are buying luxury units downtown both to live in and as investments, and a slightly less stressful link between Dubai and Boston will only bring more of them.

This is a win for Dubai, too. Imagine how many more Bostonians will be spending their holidays/spring breaks in the middle east now.

Interesting. I could see that, but I think all these airlines would have no problems in serving Boston without JetBlue's network here. It will only help though, but wouldn't their JFK hub be a better connection point?

From BOS, the partner airline gets a monopoly on the local market and the connecting markets over their other-end hub, (small though BOS is, it doesn't have to compete for local traffic against another airport the way that JFK has to compete against EWR).

And on JetBlue, BOS has better coverage in some ways than JFK to the big population centers of the Northeast, with BOS having JetBlue service to PHL, DCA, BWI, PIT, RIC (all of which BOS has and JetBlue's JFK doesn't)--partly because BOS is less congested and a more reliable connecting point, partly because the trips are less padded (on a % basis).

Other news, Delta is making Boston-Los Angeles double daily starting in May.

JetBlue recently announced service to Savannah. As of right now only JFK is getting flights but I would imagine JetBlue will eventually add a flight out of Boston as well.

From BOS, the partner airline gets a monopoly on the local market and the connecting markets over their other-end hub, (small though BOS is, it doesn't have to compete for local traffic against another airport the way that JFK has to compete against EWR).

And on JetBlue, BOS has better coverage in some ways than JFK to the big population centers of the Northeast, with BOS having JetBlue service to PHL, DCA, BWI, PIT, RIC (all of which BOS has and JetBlue's JFK doesn't)--partly because BOS is less congested and a more reliable connecting point, partly because the trips are less padded (on a % basis).

Gotcha, makes sense.

Is it easier to connect internationally at Boston than through JFK? Don't you have to exit through security at both terminals then go through security again at the other terminal?

^ that connection is being worked on so it will be pretty easy to transfer from JetBlue to the international terminal. You'll just walk by the southwest slots. Connections from international arrivals will be more tricky but that's not necessarily a Logan problem, more customs processes

Emirates Skywards Members can earn and use miles/points on JetBlue

Jetblue Trueblue Members can only earn on Emirates right now but with the two way codeshare coming one may be able to use points in the future.

People also mentioned Japan Airlines and Turkish Airlines

Japan Airlines frequent fliers can only earn miles on JAL codeshare flights operated by JetBlue. TrueBlue members cannot earn points on Japan Airlines

Turkish Airlines only has interline agreement with JetBlue meaning someone could fly RIC-BOS-IST on one ticket with JetBlue doing RIC-BOS and Turkish doing BOS-IST.

^ that connection is being worked on so it will be pretty easy to transfer from JetBlue to the international terminal. You'll just walk by the southwest slots. Connections from international arrivals will be more tricky but that's not necessarily a Logan problem, more customs processes

This is true but the only way to get to the upper level International departure area of Terminal E from the lower, mid-level where Southwest/AirTran departures/arrivals gates are located is either using a set of stairs or a very small elevator, neither of which is good for people with carry-ons. Few people want to lug their carry-ons up or down a flight of stairs or wait in line for an elevator that's large enough for only a few people and their luggage (and said elevator not in plain sight). I haven't seen any evidence of MassPort correcting this problem and it is a problem. Unless, of course, this isn't the connection that MassPort has in mind between the two terminals.

Back