Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

The Azores is much closer... closer than SFO.

Indeed. It's a matter of distance. Boston-Brazil (São Paulo, most likely) would be in the region of about 9 hours. Boston-Ponta Delgada is about 4.5. So the flight to Brazil is effectively twice the distance. That said, airline costs often rise faster as flight time increases, so Brazil could have possibly even as much as 2.5-3x the costs as a flight to the Azores. However, given that the flight would be filled primarily with tourist traffic, any airline would be hard pressed to command an average fare twice the price that SATA gets for its flights and still fill its planes enough to make money. Especially when, unlike the Azores, the airline flight Boston-Brazil would have a lot more competition. Meaning that they would have higher costs for a longer flight with less money. Not a recipe for a successful flight.

Eastern New England is, I believe, home to the largest Portuguese-speaking population in the world outside of Lusophone countries. Another unique flight to Boston is the 1-2x weekly TACV flights to the Cape Verde Islands, off Africa. However, given the location of those other countries, Boston makes sense as a launching point. For Brazil, the multitude of airline hubs between Boston and Brazil mean that the market is adequately served through New York, Washington, Atlanta or Miami (I think Charlotte might have a flight now as well).

I remember back in the late-1990s, there were rumours that VARIG was looking to start Boston flights. The source of that rumour was the little airport newspaper that you can pick up at the terminals. So, take it with a grain of salt. Of course, VARIG at the time had status as the flag carrier and today has been taken over by a competitor and barely exists in name anymore.

It's my understanding that Terminal E was designed from the ground up to be the only Logan terminal with the facilities to handle any international flights and that MassPort wanted it that way. Since it was rebuilt at a cost of ~400m less than 15 years ago, my bet is no international flights would be allowed to leave or arrive at any other terminal in the forseeable future.

I'm not so sure Massport always wanted it that way. Massport tends to be neutral on this issue - It's DHS and the airlines who were having the arguments, about proposed processing facilities in both Terminal B and Terminal A.

The real question here is: Is there any american domestic carrier with enough proposed international traffic from Logan that having the facility co-located with their domestic gates makes sense? Remember, arriving passengers have to re-clear security, so they can't just walk from one gate to another. The A-E skywalk was supposed to help resolve this for Delta by speeding up the transfer between terminals.

JetBlue and its partners do seem to be targeting a large international transfer hub at Logan, but JetBlue is in Terminal C and will have the sterile connector, so they're taken care of.

http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/

Jet Blue has quite a few partner airlines that fly internationally out of Logan, JAL, Lufthansa, Air Lingus, Icelandair, and American among them! Wouldn't take much for Jet Blue to become a feeder airline for international flights, once Terminal C and E are linked behind security, to connect passengers from other parts of the US and the Caribbean to Logan. Hopefully, MassPort will include moving sidewalks in this addition!

i should have been more clear, they don't have codeshare agreements with Delta, so it wouldn't make sense for Delta to expand international flights from BOS without making a codeshare with jetblue.

Hello all,

As a avid-traveler and aviation enthusiast, I've been taken an interest in who is coming to Logan Airport. Like others on here, I believe Logan is still lacking in some service. I'd like to hear your thoughts on my ideas below.

Middle East

I think the Middle East/Indian Subcontinent is ripe for the picking. There is talk about Emirates (according to flyertalk - announcement is coming soon), Turkish and Qatar all coming to Logan. From looking at the destinations offered by all three I hope to see Turkish and one of the other two big gulf carriers. Turkish would have its own O&D highly stimulated for Boston-Istanbul (tourism, research, education, business, etc.), would get loyal United US Airways and Air Canada fliers due to membership in Star Alliance, and can serve Middle East markets without overflying most of them. The route could also be served with an A330 and could connect well with Central Asia and Eastern/Southern Africa as well. The other two gulf carriers will be great for secondary Indian subcontinent markets, Eastern/Southern Africa, and SE Asia.

Central/South America

The Brazil question has been beaten to death and I just do not see TAM sending a 767 to Boston. However, no one has mentioned potential service to hubs in the region that could be served by a narrow-body plane: Bogota (AviancaTaca) and Panama City (Copa). Though probably not great on O&D, you can get to a fair amount of destinations from these locations. AviancaTaca is also rumored to replace the San Salvador hub with either San Jose, Costa Rica or Guatemala City. These may work well from Boston due to amount of O&D from these destinations.

Asia

We have the Boston-Tokyo flight but its not the best on connections. There is definitely room for 1-2 more carriers. It would be nice to see a representative from each alliance add a flight. Korean Air from Skyteam and Air China from Star Alliance perhaps? They both have the larger 787-9 on order so it may be a while. Out of the future 787-8 operators, China Southern, though their main hub is in Guangzhou, does have a mini-hub in Beijing and does flies to Amsterdam and Dubai so a Boston flight wouldn't be a total shot in the dark. The flight could also be a 1-stop Boston-Beijing-Guangzhou as well. They would just need to poach that route authority from China Eastern.

I learned on Friday from someone who will be doing a study abroad program that there is no direct flight from Boston to Rome. Does anyone know why? It seems like a "Duh!" market, I thought, and I never would have guessed we didn't have direct flights. We have so many of Italian decent here and many of them go visit Italy or family in Italy, plus American tourists love to eat up all the sights in Rome, seems like one of the major "stereotypical" European vacations.

Alitalia serves Rome, albeit seasonally now. It has been year round in the past however I suspect since they've moved their primary international hub from Milan(the economic center of Italy) to Rome(the tourist center) they've lost the high yielding business traffic that sustained it in the off season. The hard product that Logan receives is also inferior to virtually every carrier at Logan with the exception of SATA and perhaps Delta.

Another thing worth noting, last Thursday I caught a JAL 777 at Logan, so apparently it is capable of operating here.

Another thing worth noting, last Thursday I caught a JAL 777 at Logan, so apparently it is capable of operating here.

They have subbed the 772 a few times over the last couple of months on the Narita to Logan run.

I don't believe a fully loaded 772 (passengers, cargo and fuel) could operate at Logan due to runway issues. The 772's the JAL has sent are most likely not fully loaded in any of the previously mentioned thing (fuel, cargo and passengers).

They have subbed the 772 a few times over the last couple of months on the Narita to Logan run.

I don't believe a fully loaded 772 (passengers, cargo and fuel) could operate at Logan due to runway issues. The 772's the JAL has sent are most likely not fully loaded in any of the previously mentioned thing (fuel, cargo and passengers).

A commercial jet flying from Boston to Japan does not need a full tank of full? That begs the question of what the longest distance a commercial jet can fly on a tank of fuel? Is Logan-->Australia non-stop logistically conceivable?

A commercial jet flying from Boston to Japan does not need a full tank of full? That begs the question of what the longest distance a commercial jet can fly on a tank of fuel? Is Logan-->Australia non-stop logistically conceivable?

If the plane is not flying with a full load of passengers and cargo, which I am going to assume their 772 subs have not been, then a full load of fuel will not be required to make the flight.

Boston to Australia is a very long distance, over 10,000 miles. I think a 772 LR might be able to do it, but then again it might come up short.

The 77L would definitely be short - it has a max range of somewhere near 9,300 mi.

Not to mention BOS-Australia would be a waste of resources - the vast majority of US-Australia traffic is headed to/from California and NYC and BOS-Australia would overfly 99% of any potential connecting destinations.

The 77L would definitely be short - it has a max range of somewhere near 9,300 mi.

Not to mention BOS-Australia would be a waste of resources - the vast majority of US-Australia traffic is headed to/from California and NYC and BOS-Australia would overfly 99% of any potential connecting destinations.

whats the other 1%? Maine???

the vast majority of US-Australia traffic is headed to/from California and NYC...

And QANTAS doesn't even make the NYC-SYD directly. It has (or had) an A330 based at LAX that makes the LAX-JFK route, as an extension of its Australia-LAX 747/A380 flights, open only, of course, to those coming from or going to Australia.

http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/

Jet Blue has quite a few partner airlines that fly internationally out of Logan, JAL, Lufthansa, Air Lingus, Icelandair, and American among them! Wouldn't take much for Jet Blue to become a feeder airline for international flights, once Terminal C and E are linked behind security, to connect passengers from other parts of the US and the Caribbean to Logan. Hopefully, MassPort will include moving sidewalks in this addition!

Bush signed some Caribbean destinations as pre-cleared for entry at any terminal in the United States. In The Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Bermuda and Aruba once you clear the US immigration and customs offices in those foreign airports you don't need to in America again. Some isles have this, and others are seeking to join the programme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance

i heard southwest was starting service to kansas city in april

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/four-more-cities

Looks like it's official. 2 daily non-stop flights beginning April 13, 2012.

Did I read that blog correctly that Logan is losing its AirTran non-stop to Ft. Myers? That's not good. That leaves only JetBlue which inevitably means an increase in fares on that route. JetBlue's Logan--->Florida domination continues....

Did I read that blog correctly that Logan is losing its AirTran non-stop to Ft. Myers? That's not good. That leaves only JetBlue which inevitably means an increase in fares on that route. JetBlue's Logan--->Florida domination continues....

the airtran flight is switching over to southwest

the airtran flight is switching over to southwest

The now southwest RSW-BOS flight is seasonal and will only operate in the winter and ends at the end of April. So it will comeback. It will be interesting to see if Southwest tries other seasonal services to Florida as the Logan operation grows.

Back