Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Interesting, a new option for me to get to Fresno.

It's a shame it couldn't be a red-eye on the SAN-BOS leg.

150 flights to where? I get that they want to make good on their commitment to Boston, but Boston's not that big of a market.

150 flights to where? I get that they want to make good on their commitment to Boston, but Boston's not that big of a market.

Boston is not a big market? I don't buy that. Boston has to be a top 10 or 12 O&D market in this country.

Boston is not a big market? I don't buy that. Boston has to be a top 10 or 12 O&D market in this country.

JetBlue wants to make Boston a hub to feed their international partner airlines. That's why they are building the security side people mover/walkway from terminal C (Jetblue's exclusive terminal as of 2014) to Terminal E, international terminal. Boston is closer to Europe, the Middle East, and and India than any other big US city and could be a huge hub if the politicians, neighbors, infrastructure and runways could handle it. Even with things the way they are, it could be a larger international hub than it is.

They are going to have to increase flights to Chicago for starters.
If Virgin America goes away they can increase LA and SF flights too.

Domestically, they would need to start Houston Hobby, Savannah, Louisville and maybe an extra Midwest destination. They had their chance to jump into Kansas City and St. Louis and gave it up to Southwest. They may have to tango with Delta in Atlanta/Detroit/Minneapolis at some point as well

"Semi-internationally" they may want to try a secondary Puerto Rico airport such as Aguadilla

Internationally, I do not think they can do much more that would add daily flights with the exception for maybe Port-a-Prince, Haiti. 1-2 Weekly services are possible for Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Puerto Plata.

I think 150 flights would be during peak summer travel season and you would see a low during September-October for heavy maintenance.

JetBlue wants to make Boston a hub to feed their international partner airlines. That's why they are building the security side people mover/walkway from terminal C (Jetblue's exclusive terminal as of 2014) to Terminal E, international terminal. Boston is closer to Europe, the Middle East, and and India than any other big US city and could be a huge hub if the politicians, neighbors, infrastructure and runways could handle it. Even with things the way they are, it could be a larger international hub than it is.

They should be praying for Turkish, Emirates, or Qatar to get to Logan by then.

I wonder how many connections they are getting on the Japan Airlines flight right now?

Boston would work great as an international hub to europe, middle east. JetBlue has strong network, in and out of boston, and when the connection to E opens, it will be a pretty seamless transition. Then if you are going to Europe from anywhere west of Boston (which is everywhere) you have a good alternative to NYC, Chicago, Atlanta. And personally, JetBlue's flight experience and that of its international partners is way better than Delta, United or AA. I would choose that route over any of those alternatives

I wonder how many connections they are getting on the Japan Airlines flight right now?

Considering people have to go backwards from the rest of the US to connect in Boston, I'm guessing not that many?

Considering how much American, Delta, United and US have all slashed Boston routes over the past few years, it's really not much of a stretch.

They still have plenty of large and medium-sized markets in the Midwest and South that they could potentially serve from Boston: Minneapolis, Detroit, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Houston, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, Memphis, Indianapolis, Omaha, Milwaukee. There's also Philadelphia and Miami that are rather large, glaring holes in their Boston network.

Between any combination of those plus frequency adds to current markets plus any international adds and they could easily get to 150.

If they're cutting as much of their long-haul fleet as expected, I can't imagine there are any long haul routes that would go before Boston... If they had a more efficient plane with a high density configuration, i.e. the A332's that Alitalia operates to Boston and Chicago, I could see the route sticking around....

Turns out the route cuts are leisure routes to the Caribbean; San Juan, Santo Domingo and Havana. Furthermore, Spain isn't Italy. While much of the Boston-Italy traffic is leisure, Boston-Madrid has a healthy business component, especially in recent years with developments like the Santander take-over of Sovereign Bank. The A340s that Iberia send are too big, but not because of the premium cabins. An Air France-configured A330-200 with about 45 business class seats, a premium economy and a relatively small back end would be perfect for the route.

Finally, didn't the former San Salvador flight have a bizarre depature and arrival time? Was it something like a 2:30am arrival into Logan?

Yeah. It was a marginal route for TACA. So I guess that leaving the plane sitting overnight (for the first few years it arrived around 10pm and left at about 7:30am) wasn't feasible. Slowly over time they reduced and reduced the layover until it was arriving well after midnight and departing at about 5am. When I worked at Terminal E, I saw a few times them closing up their desks for the day when I'd be getting there at 5am. Word from a customs officer I asked at the time was that CBP told TACA that they weren't staffing the facility that late at night. TACA appears to have decided that the route wasn't worth it and canned it.

Central American flights have a tough time out of Boston. Remember AeroMexico stuck around for a couple of years to Mexico City. It appears that it's a combination of lower yields and a really long flight time that makes for odd timings in order for the flights to have a modicum of a chance at connecting at the hub cities.

Bogota could work because it's a long enough flight within the same timezone that a 10:30 or 11pm arrival and 1am departure would mean that they wouldn't be stepping on the toes of CBP too much and that would get the flight in around 6am. The only downside is that with the obvious exception of Brazilians, most of New England's Latino population is from Central America and the Caribbean, so many of the connections would require backtracking.

Turns out the route cuts are leisure routes to the Caribbean; San Juan, Santo Domingo and Havana. Furthermore, Spain isn't Italy. While much of the Boston-Italy traffic is leisure, Boston-Madrid has a healthy business component, especially in recent years with developments like the Santander take-over of Sovereign Bank. The A340s that Iberia send are too big, but not because of the premium cabins. An Air France-configured A330-200 with about 45 business class seats, a premium economy and a relatively small back end would be perfect for the route.

I was very surprised by that. I thought for sure that with only three flights per week in the winter is was a goner. BA's been reducing their capacity somewhat too though. They're down to three daily 777's at the moment, where every other winter, at least as long as I've been flying BA it's been 2 777's and a 744.

In other news on the London route, Delta has acquired a 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/delta-takes-49-stake-in-virgin-atlantic-for-360-million/

I was very surprised by that. I thought for sure that with only three flights per week in the winter is was a goner. BA's been reducing their capacity somewhat too though. They're down to three daily 777's at the moment, where every other winter, at least as long as I've been flying BA it's been 2 777's and a 744.

In other news on the London route, Delta has acquired a 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/delta-takes-49-stake-in-virgin-atlantic-for-360-million/

You sure about that? My friend is flying to London tomorrow and his flight is a 744.

Just checked, the 74's still show up occasionally on the 214 but it's mostly 777's on the three flights.

http://www.thebasource.com/routetracker.html

When I booked both of my upcoming trips to London it showed 777's across the board(early Jan. and late Feb.). I usually fly the 238/9 which are 777s anyways, but I always check the other flights on the off chance of something interesting showing up like the new 773.

JetBlue is attempting to go against the US Boston-Philly "shuttle" with 5 flights a day starting the 23rd - already bookable on their website.

finally! Was southwest not seeing the ridership or did they just end up prioritizing other routes b/c of the airtran merger? Will JetBlue be able to keep this around if Southwest wasn't?

Back