Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Delta is going to give Boston - Los Angeles another shot. They're starting daily 752 service which commences in June.

Probably won't last long as 1x daily; they'll need to increase frequency or the route will be gone soon - American, United, JetBlue and Virgin all offer multiple BOS-LAX.

Getting closer and closer....
American Airlines said Thursday that it's seeking U.S. government approval to operate more flights to Brazil.

The airline said it filed an application with the Department of Transportation to add a new daily round-trip flight between Sao Paolo and both Los Angeles and Chicago.

American wants to start the Los Angeles flights late this year and the Chicago flights in late 2014.

http://news.yahoo.com/american-airlines-seeks-ok-more-204859717.html

What does this have to do with Boston? Are you back on that flyer where you think Boston's going to pick up regular service to Brazil?

Boston has a pretty good sized market to Brazil, but yields are another thing. While it would be nice to have a non-stop to Brazil, I don't think we'll be seeing one anytime soon.

Speaking of Logan, passenger numbers for January are out and they are up. 2,019,662 people flew through last month. That represents a 2.2% increase over January of 2012. Good way to start the year.

It's not even a good sized market. It's a pretty small market actually and frankly, it's completely asinine to even think it's remotely viable.

Sao Paulo - 37,241, 51 passengers per day each way
Belo Horizonte - 23,222, 32 passengers pdew
Rio de Janeiro - 17,146, 23 passengers pdew
Grande Vitoria - 8,127, 11 passengers pdew
Brasilia - 5,252, 7 passengers pdew
Goianial - 3,902, 5 passengers pdew
Florianopolis - 3,717, 5 passengers pdew
Curitiba - 3,409, 5 passengers pdew

For a grand total of ~139 passengers per day each way between Boston and Brazil.

Even utilizing the most absurd and false assumptions such as:
-100% of the Boston-Brazil market will utilize this service
-Boston-Brazil is a high yielding market
-Boston-Brazil is a market experiencing rapid growth
-Boston and Brazil have significant business ties
-Brazil is a popular tourist destination for Bostonians and likewise Boston for Brazilians

The numbers don't work.

I should have elaborated.....relative to all US-Brazil markets, Boston is a pretty good sized market. Not trying to imply that the numbers warrant service.

Boston-Brazil will probably never happen. I think it's time we put that one to bed. In much the same way that many European routes from the West Coast, even if the traffic is there, don't stand much of a chance of operating successfully (San Francisco-Rome comes to mind), it's a long route with low yields and there are a half-dozen viable hubs in between that work perfectly well funnelling traffic.

Furthermore, it will NOT be a US airline flying it. I give the biggest odds of the route ever being served to TAM. However, I'm still doubtful that Boston - South America (outside Brazil) is big enough, combined with Brazil traffic, to warrant a flight to TAMs hub in Sao Paulo; not when there's New York, Washington, Atlanta, Miami and, to a lesser extent, Dallas and Houston in between. Hell, even Charlotte has a flight to Rio and soon a flight to Sao Paulo.

Here's a few major South American cities outside Brazil with over 10 people travelling per day from Boston that could theoretically (though not necessarily practically) use GRU as a connecting point:

- Santiago: 14 pdew (contracting)
- Buenos Aires: 23 pdew (growing)
- Lima: 20 pdew (contracting)

There's probably a half-dozen other markets, like Concepción, Chile; Córdoba, Argentina; La Paz, Bolivia; Montevideo, Uruguay; and Asunsión, Paraguay that have under ten that could theoretically help to fill a TAM plane from GRU to BOS. Though, again, yields are not strong enough to support a nearly 5,000-mile flight and several of those cities are served by American nonstop from Miami. Even if Brazil is the "big enchilada" out of Boston, almost all second-tier cities in Brazil, with the arguable exceptions of Belem and Natal, are served from Miami by TAM and American, a soon-to-be partner of TAM.

Starting April 1, JAL will further reduce Boston service from six weekly flights to four. After April 22 when the subsidies expire, I would not be surprised to see the route suspended either until the summer high season or the 787 re-entering service.

Yea I saw that. It's down to 4 weekly 772 flights from March 1 - May 31.

They've trimmed down all of their 787 flights everywhere.

I think they will maintain 3-4 weekly 772 flights until the 787s are back online.

The article says September 2014. Is that a misprint? 4 plus years to build this seems a big excessive.

I think the Terminal B project is September 2014 and since Suffolk is doing that also it could explain the mix up.

Suffolk's press release explains the uncertainty about dates.

Construction of ConRAC began in June 2010. Beneficial occupancy is scheduled for late 2013, while construction will be completed September 2014.
The additional months may involve conversion /deconstruction of existing rental car lots and buildings into developable space, assuming that is part of the overall contract.

So sick of the separated United terminals. Flew out of Terminal C to SFO on United on Tuesday night and on SFO-BOS flight back last night we landed in Terminal A. Was a group of 20-25 of us trekking through the parking garage at 1am back to the Terminal C side. Don't know what it's going to take to fix this but don't see any solution near-term.

Peterborough
http://www.verskans.com

Why would you need to return to the other terminal? I don't think many United passengers use Logan as a connecting point, so the impact on most passengers (e.g. having to go through security again) is probably fairly small.

Why would you need to return to the other terminal? I don't think many United passengers use Logan as a connecting point, so the impact on most passengers (e.g. having to go through security again) is probably fairly small.

Parked my car in central parking on the C side, 20 min walk across airport from A terminal.

More JetBlue expansion, they're adding non-stop flights to Houston-Hobby.

Service starts on July 25th. Looks like it's going to be twice daily service.

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1801404&highlight=

A shitty schedule:

Boston (BOS) to Houston (HOU):
Depart – Arrive
7:00 a.m. – 9:57 a.m.
1:40 p.m. – 4:39 p.m.

Houston (HOU) to Boston (BOS):
10:35 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
5:20 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Ideally you'd want a later second departure out of Boston and an earlier first departure out of Houston, at least for the business market that JetBlue needs so desperately to return Boston to profitability.

Back