Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Can El Al's fleet fly nonstop from SFO to Israel? (Would the flight go westbound instead of east?)
Not sure about their fleet, but its much longer than most of their other routes. The great circle routing (from KLS2.com) says SFO-TLV is 7422 miles flown east over Greenland, compared to 6180 for ORD, 5730 for NRT, and only 5491 for BOS.
gcmap

Shouldn't be an issue for the 777, or the 787 should they be used to open new routes.

El Al already flies Tel Aviv-LAX non-stop, so they have the planes already to fly long routes. They use a 772 on the route.

I checked on that, apparently LAX only runs three times per week and that's a market of 145k per year, nearly three times the size of Boston-Tel Aviv, so there's another strike against Boston being a realistic option.

Do you know if it flies (from LAX to TLV) eastbound or west? Or maybe varying depending on wind and weather?

AMR Stands to Gain Vast Route Network

By JACK NICAS

The anticipated marriage of American Airlines parent AMR Corp. AAMRQ +2.46% and US Airways Group Inc. LCC +3.78% would represent a departure from other airline mergers in recent decades, aimed more at creating a huge route network that leapfrogs the competition, rather than at culling money-losing and overlapping flights.

The prospective deal could restore American, which has suffered billions of dollars of losses in recent years, to its former status as the world's biggest carrier.

The new American would have hubs at seven of the nine busiest U.S. airports and boast a strong presence in Europe and Latin America. It would suddenly become a major player in Boston and Tampa, Fla., and at New York's LaGuardia Airport and Reagan National Airport near Washington.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324906004578290440263035854.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

^ That assumes they won't consolidate and transfer traffic flows to the most appropriate hubs, which they most likely will. For instance, US has to route any BOS-Midwest or BOS-West Coast flights through only PHL, PHX or CLT whereas DFW and ORD are equally - if not universally better - suited to serve the same passengers with larger local market demand to boot.

The last remaining Caribbean destinations on US are as good as gone and they certainly won't need as many flights to all of the combined carrier's hubs and focus cities at DFW/CLT/PHL/ORD/MIA/DCA/JFK/LAX.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. I cannot imagine the combined AA/US will be trimming flights to their hubs by much. They may use this opportunity to reinforce their position in Boston. I cannot see AA/US trimming flights to their hubs by much. AA has ended all point-to-point flying from Boston over the last decade, so why cut flights to the hubs? If they keep them in tact for the most part, Boston is a key market they will want to throw frequency at and continue to serve at or near current levels. It will all depend on how they position each hub to fit into the network.

Some of their hubs will probably lose some amount of importance once they are combined. Phoenix comes to mind. Charlotte will see a shift in their Europe service.

Either way it's crazy that in less than 6 years, Northwest, Continental and now US Airways will be gone.

Some of their hubs will probably lose some amount of importance once they are combined. Phoenix comes to mind. Charlotte will see a shift in their Europe service.
PHX is the natural city to retreat from. Its always been an awesome connecting hub, but its always going to have tremendous pressure from Southwest, and I'm sure they'd rather try to dominate LAX and route other connections to ORD and DFW (from which AA has always been good at hitting California's secondary airports).

I think it leaves JetBlue at BOS looking a lot like Alaska at SEA...the locally dominant alliance-ambiguous hub.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. I cannot imagine the combined AA/US will be trimming flights to their hubs by much. They may use this opportunity to reinforce their position in Boston. I cannot see AA/US trimming flights to their hubs by much. AA has ended all point-to-point flying from Boston over the last decade, so why cut flights to the hubs? If they keep them in tact for the most part, Boston is a key market they will want to throw frequency at and continue to serve at or near current levels. It will all depend on how they position each hub to fit into the network.

They will definitely be optimizing the network and cutting where there are any redundancies (e.g. US relies on CLT to cover all of the traffic flows that DFW, MIA and ORD are - 9x daily flights is going to be overkill in a unified network with all four of those hubs). It'll most likely be PHL/CLT/PHX that bear the brunt of any network rationalization.

Here's the current combined hub schedule out of BOS:

PHL 20x daily
DCA 15x daily
CLT 9x daily
DFW 8x daily
ORD 8x daily
MIA 7x daily
PHX 4x daily
JFK 4x daily
LAX 3x daily

PHX is the natural city to retreat from. Its always been an awesome connecting hub, but its always going to have tremendous pressure from Southwest, and I'm sure they'd rather try to dominate LAX and route other connections to ORD and DFW (from which AA has always been good at hitting California's secondary airports).

Exactly. Everybody seems to think PHX is going to take a massive backseat to LAX and DFW, and that's probably right on the money. DFW will be the primary demise of the PHX hub though, not LAX. Like BOS, LAX is a tricky market to try to dominate since there are so many similarly-sized competitors. Even JetBlue, which has gained a huge share in BOS, only has around a quarter of the market; a combined AA-US will be roughly the same size. The situation is even more fragmented in LAX.

Here's the current combined hub schedule out of BOS:

PHL 20x daily
DCA 15x daily
CLT 9x daily
DFW 8x daily
ORD 8x daily
MIA 7x daily
PHX 4x daily
JFK 4x daily
LAX 3x daily

Plus non-hub flying of:

LGA 16x
PIT 4x
SYR 3x
RIC 2x
BUF 3x
ROC 3x
MDT 2x

For a total of ~111 daily flights.

By Summer 2014 I see the schedule looking something like this:

PHL 12x(Several non-peak flights switched to Eagle)
DCA 15x or nothing(DCA/LGA shuttle could be divested per antitrust regs)
CLT 7x
DFW 9x (Smaller planes perhaps but important business market warrants frequency)
ORD 9x (see above)
MIA 7x
PHX 2x
JFK 5x(Could see this going to Eagle with their new E175's)
LAX 4x
LGA 15x or nothing(see DCA)
PIT 2x

Wildcards

SFO
RDU
SEA
SAN

That looks like a pretty solid list, though I'd tweak a few things:

- I don't think we'll see any non-hub routes sticking around (BOS-PIT) or any new ones being added (BOS-SFO/RDU/SEA/SAN). Both AA and US have retrenched to their hubs over the past few years, a huge change in strategy for US that I don't see them reversing anytime soon. Not to mention, the combined carrier will be even less capable of competing with JetBlue on a cost basis.

- I can see them maintaining BOS-PHL at shuttle service levels (14-16x daily) because PHL is a much better Northeast connecting hub than JFK will ever be for AA-US. In that same vein, there really wouldn't be a need for any more BOS-JFK because the local traffic is better served via LGA and connections via PHL.

- BOS-CLT could see a pretty significant cut in frequencies - maybe somewhere in the 4-6x daily range. DFW, ORD and MIA would each see a frequency or two added to pick up the slack. It'll be interesting to see how the optimize CLT and whether they opt to flow the same amount of traffic through it or cut capacity in favor of AA's massive hubs.

That looks like a pretty solid list, though I'd tweak a few things:

- I don't think we'll see any non-hub routes sticking around (BOS-PIT) or any new ones being added (BOS-SFO/RDU/SEA/SAN). Both AA and US have retrenched to their hubs over the past few years, a huge change in strategy for US that I don't see them reversing anytime soon. Not to mention, the combined carrier will be even less capable of competing with JetBlue on a cost basis.

There have been rumors of a code share with JetBlue so its possible that all of the routes you mentioned above will be a code share with them or Alaska (for BOS-SEA/SAN).

I think BOS-PHX will be served by two airlines come 2015: JetBlue and Southwest (They restart the route).

I totally get, that adding flights to big hubs is good and big O&D hub markets is better, and that after a merger you "fund" such additions by pulling down minor hubs (as has happened at CVG in favor of DTW, for example).

A merged AA can "fund" growth at LAX ORD and DFW by pulling down PHX. But what does pulling down BOS fund (and where are those planes needed "more")?.

Today, despite ripping out non-hub flying elsewhere, US still flies from BOS to
LGA 16x
PIT 4x
SYR 3x
RIC 2x
BUF 3x
ROC 3x
MDT 2x
Seems to me that if they "make sense" for US to fly them right now--if they haven't been ripped out yet why rip them out in the future? Unlike PHX, BOS isn't really redundant, unless One World can totally trust JetBlue.

I suspect they're flown by US because they are strong (or strategically important) Star Alliance cities (exactly the kind that the merger should allow a merged carrier to try for) and therefore Star Alliance has felt a need to to offer BOS as a key destination alongside EWR/ORD/IAD/PHL for its customers in PIT, ROC, SYR, RIC, BUF and MDT.

But given that AA/US will compete for the exact same cities from nearly the same hubs (LGA/ORD/DCA/PHL), I'd think One World would *also* find it strategically important to offer BOS to that same list of hinterland cities.

Seems to me that pulling out of them would be contingent on cutting a better/stronger deal between One World and JetBlue. And that JetBlue could drive a pretty hard bargain because with US leaving Star, United would be motivated to cut a deal with JetBlue.

(and why not keep MDT, if JetBLue isn't flying it?)

Last edited:
I could see US/AA wanting to keep frequency on BOS-CLT. It's a pretty good sized market and an important business market. A market like that needs frequency and also one where you could see high aircraft utilization since turns would be a lot faster than say Boston-Seattle.

I totally get, that adding flights to big hubs is good and big O&D hub markets is better, and that after a merger you "fund" such additions by pulling down minor hubs (as has happened at CVG in favor of DTW, for example).

A merged AA can "fund" growth at LAX ORD and DFW by pulling down PHX. But what does pulling down BOS fund (and where are those planes needed "more")?.

Today, despite ripping out non-hub flying elsewhere, US still flies from BOS to Seems to me that if they "make sense" for US to fly them right now--if they haven't been ripped out yet why rip them out in the future? Unlike PHX, BOS isn't really redundant, unless One World can totally trust JetBlue.

I suspect they're flown by US because they are strong (or strategically important) Star Alliance cities (exactly the kind that the merger should allow a merged carrier to try for) and therefore Star Alliance has felt a need to to offer BOS as a key destination alongside EWR/ORD/IAD/PHL for its customers in PIT, ROC, SYR, RIC, BUF and MDT.

But given that AA/US will compete for the exact same cities from nearly the same hubs (LGA/ORD/DCA/PHL), I'd think One World would *also* find it strategically important to offer BOS to that same list of hinterland cities.

You're right, BOS isn't redundant like PHX, but it is largely irrelevant in terms of network connectivity for both the combined AA-US and their Oneworld partners. Don't get me wrong, BOS is a very strong destination; it's just that offering something like BOS-ROC or BOS-MDT does little to nothing in the overall scheme of things.

I think US's non-hub routes from BOS are still flown for a few reasons. Primarily they are holdovers from their BOS focus city and massive point-to-point network in the Northeast, something they have all but dismantled in favor of focusing resources to consolidate their dominance at PHL and DCA. But aside from this, the reasons why US continues to fly them:

1. They are obligated to a certain level of regional flying with the express carriers they have contracted and the leftover BOS point-to-point routes are likely the least risky or least expensive given the short stage lengths.

2. I think SYR, ROC and MDT are products of express carriers' crew base/hubs in those cities. I know MDT is a base for Piedmont Airlines and given how small its market to BOS is (only 23 total daily passengers), I am guessing the only reason that is still around is because of crew positioning. Although, looks like the average fares are sky high so that certainly helps in all three cases.

3. RIC, PIT and BUF actually have decent markets to BOS. As such it's no surprise that JetBlue is also in those markets; JetBlue carries nearly the same amount of traffic as US does to PIT and dominates the BOS-BUF/RIC. US closed its PIT hub in the early 2000s and has a massive residual base to draw from there. These were likely the strongest of the Boston point-to-point network US had built up and have stuck around because they haven't come up with a more profitable way to allocate the flying.

Seems to me that pulling out of them would be contingent on cutting a better/stronger deal between One World and JetBlue. And that JetBlue could drive a pretty hard bargain because with US leaving Star, United would be motivated to cut a deal with JetBlue.

(and why not keep MDT, if JetBLue isn't flying it?)

No, pulling out of them will be contingent on whether there is more profitable flying that these regional jets can be doing from other hubs of the combined carrier. I can easily see them cutting all non-hub flying from BOS once the dust settles and they identify better opportunities for those aircraft at hubs like DFW and MIA.

While a standalone AA benefits greatly from a strategic partnership with JetBlue in order to build critical mass at JFK - AA's primary transatlantic hub - the combined carrier won't have to rely on JFK to the same degree at all. AA-US will have a massive omnidirectional fortress hub at PHL while JFK will likely be retooled to better serve the local NYC market. Not to mention, the AA-JetBlue partnership is almost entirely centered around the synergies at JFK for both carriers: AA gets domestic feed while JetBlue gets to connect passengers to AA's international network. BOS, on the other hand, is a priority for JetBlue and nothing more than a spoke for AA (albeit a large one).

From Logan's Facebook:

Vote for a color scheme for the new Terminal B connector and enter to win a $100 Legal Sea Foods gift card! Simply email us your favorite color scheme from the three choices below, your name and address to: love@massport.com for a chance to win. A winer will be chosen on Valentine's!

61741_10151312508407981_1827373823_n.jpg

Back