Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

All 5 flights look to be A320's too... I thought they would use the E-190 here. Very aggressive move by JetBlue!

Does JetBlue have the space to increase departures by 40%? With that type of growth logan could hit 40 million pax soon.

I'm hoping that Vancouver is their next new addition. MSP also seems like a big hole in their network.

I doubt we'll be seeing JetBlue fly to Vancouver anytime soon. There are plenty of other holes they would fill first - MSP (as you mentioned), St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee are some of the more notable ones. It'd be great if they started Canadian service, but something tells me they'll finish their domestic network first. MSP and St. Louis are now the two most glaring holes.

This is big for JetBlue - will they finally officially call Logan a hub?

Norwegian air is starting transatlantic Barcelona service from Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Newark Liberty and Oakland. Hopefully Boston will be next though a 787 might be too big for Boston to Barcelona. The A321LR which will be delivered in a few years will hopefully allow more transatlantic non-stops from Logan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...wegian-air-fly-spain-four-us-cities/89962580/

Don't rule out a Barcelona flight for next summer just yet. Norwegian hasn't released Summer 2017 schedule for Boston yet and they have for the other US destinations. Something is up.... could be waiting to see where the NAI Permit goes.

So I FINALLY got to see the C to E connector last week before my flight to Frankfurt...they did an amazing job with this. This is certainly going to be a great tool for B6 in their expansion...great modern facility with plenty of outlets to charge before hopping on a flight. Agree with earlier posts (either here or on Airliners) that it is clear where B6 domestic ends and the international side of things begin.

As for the A380 gates/lounges and further expansion, that can't open soon enough. It was a bit of a zoo when I was there, and that was only at 5PM...can only imagine what it's like when things are truly hopping at every gate.

All 5 flights look to be A320's too... I thought they would use the E-190 here. Very aggressive move by JetBlue!

Aggressive opening pricing as well! We booked on one of the inaugural flights on March 30th, returning that Sunday, April 2nd for $47 each one way. Grand total, roundtrip for the two of us, drum roll please.....$184.40! Unheard of for a single roundtrip, Atl-Bos.

So I FINALLY got to see the C to E connector last week before my flight to Frankfurt...they did an amazing job with this. This is certainly going to be a great tool for B6 in their expansion...great modern facility with plenty of outlets to charge before hopping on a flight. Agree with earlier posts (either here or on Airliners) that it is clear where B6 domestic ends and the international side of things begin.

As for the A380 gates/lounges and further expansion, that can't open soon enough. It was a bit of a zoo when I was there, and that was only at 5PM...can only imagine what it's like when things are truly hopping at every gate.

Did you get a look at the progress of the E expansion?

Hopefully in the mix for summer 2017!

British Airways removes planned A380 Boston service in 1Q17

British Airways in Late-August’s schedule update has removed planned Airbus A380 operation on London Heathrow – Boston route. The oneWorld member previously scheduled 4 weekly A380 service between 01FEB17 and 25MAR17. With adjustment, this route will be served by Boeing 747 / 777 / 787 only during this period.

The following schedule is effective for the week of 10FEB17. Operational frequency varies.

BA213 LHR1120 – 1400BOS 744 D
BA203 LHR1515 – 1805BOS 777 14
BA215 LHR1640 – 1920BOS EQV D
BA239 LHR1855 – 2130BOS 789 D

BA238 BOS0810 – 1930LHR 789 D
BA212 BOS1755 – 0510+1LHR 744 D
BA202 BOS2010 – 0725+1LHR 777 14
BA214 BOS2120 – 0845+1LHR EQV D

^ The BA realignment makes a lot of sense. That was a strange period to throw the A380 on the BOS LHR route.

As a general note, this is just a delay of A380 service, not an outright cancellation of it altogether.

Last edited:
Most likely reason is that the new A380 gates will not be quite ready Spring 17!

EODyrHP.jpg

I took this image from the flyertalk forums, user Cap'n Benj posted the photo.

At least from this exterior shot it looks like they're making good progress on the new E gates.

I took this image from the flyertalk forums, user Cap'n Benj posted the photo.

At least from this exterior shot it looks like they're making good progress on the new E gates.

Mass -- Looks very positive progress of course all of the interior finishes take a very significant fraction of the time in the full process from foundation to opening

Here's hoping we finally get some Euro-style glass boarding bridges -- e.g. ThyssenKrupp
20160518_baet_passengerboardingbridges_rs13822_rs13822_0112_75_flughafen_rgb-hpr_image_w662_h497.jpg

eau_dubai_c1_passerelles_fr.jpg

5021.jpg

http://www.burnsmcd.com/insightsnews/news/releases/2015/12/glass-passenger-boarding-bridges
U.S. Airports Have Option to Install Glass Passenger Boarding Bridges

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The association that guides U.S. fire protection standards has determined passenger boarding bridges, currently bland steel boxes at most airports, can now be built safely using glass, opening up a new experience for air travelers.

The recent move by the National Fire Protection Association is expected to be adopted widely by local safety officials throughout the country and provide a fresh alternative to airport designers, said Randy Pope, chairman of the NFPA task force that began studying glass bridges in 2007 and recommended dropping the ban on glass.

Last edited:
Another Logan Construction Project

It's getting to be that we should have a separate thread either for all Massport Projects [there are some substantial ones in Southey as well -- or possibly just for Logan Projects

Here's what is close to being a project under construction [2 or 3 months to start] in Terminal B with more to come see below:
Capital Programs » L1430-C1

Post Security Concourse Gates 37/38
Contract: L1430-C1
Documents:
L1430-C1 (14.2k) updated Thursday, May 12, 20
The Gate Connector project is comprised of two major components. The first critical component of the project is to provide a post security connection from gates 37-38 to the existing foodcourt.

This includes new offices for tenant airlines, a new concourse connecting the gate holdrooms to the foodcourt, and new airside toilet rooms dedicated to the new expanded holdroom space. Construction of the new gate connector space will require careful phasing to ensure that airline operations remain uninterrupted.

The second component of the project is the replacement of ceilings and duct distribution systems in the departures level public concourse and in the new gate connector space.

Anyway here's the next to be proposed -- $125M for:

The airline consolidation and enhancement project will combine the operations of the legacy air carrier USAirways, currently operating out of Pier A as American Airlines, into one consolidated operation at Pier B. The project is comprised of both renovated and new construction.

The scope is for both the arrivals and departures levels and will entail modifications to the apron to accommodate the new American Airlines fleet mix.

The program is comprised of enhancements to public circulation spaces, vertical transportation, passenger amenities and concessions shell space, ticketing hall, the security checkpoint, toilet rooms, departure lounges, and baggage handling areas for both inbound and outbound baggage screening and operations.

A Supplemental Information Package which will provide more details on the scope of the Project as well as the selection process and evaluation criteria shall be available as of Wednesday, September 14, 2016, on the Massport website

Details should be available on Wednesday at the following URL
http://www.massport.com/doing-business/_layouts/CapitalPrograms/default.aspx

Down the road a piece there is another major project in the works:
Capital Programs
Projected Projects » L1313

Pre & Post-Sec Connector-Term A&B

And of course the Big Dog more than 1100 pages of details on the 7 new gates and misc at Terminal E [West Concourse and Blue Line connector]

available from Massport under
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT/ DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT
Terminal E Modernization Project
Boston-Logan International Airport
EAST BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
EEA# 15434
PREPARED FOR Massachusetts Port Authority
July 15, 2016
Terminal E Modernization Project
Environmental Notification Form
Environmental Assessment/Draft Environmental Impact Report Vol I
Environmental Assessment/Draft Environmental Impact Report Vol II - Technical Appendices

https://www.massport.com/environment/environmental-reporting/environmental-filings/

-- currently being assaulted by numerous NIMBYs and BANANAs

^ Interesting that this appears to reflect a change for American. Earlier announcements seemed to indicate that American planned to consolidate into Pier A, the old US Airways side of Terminal B. Now this announcement says consolidation into an enlarged Pier B, the old American side.

^ Interesting that this appears to reflect a change for American. Earlier announcements seemed to indicate that American planned to consolidate into Pier A, the old US Airways side of Terminal B. Now this announcement says consolidation into an enlarged Pier B, the old American side.
I think the Massport announcement is in error. IIRC, a preliminary re-configuration had the A consolidation grabbing several United gates nearest the shuttle gates. Presumably these would be replaced by building United new gates on the pier.

Anyway here's the next to be proposed -- $125M for:

Details should be available on Wednesday at the following URL
http://www.massport.com/doing-business/_layouts/CapitalPrograms/default.aspx

Interesting that they're looking for a CM. I checked that page daily for months waiting for them to select an architect back in February and that solicitation started from the most basic requirements and left it up to the proponents to include sketches and concepts. I was waiting with excitement for them to post those and then... nothing.

I'm not sure whether Massport has a design now, or whether they backed out back in the Spring and are trying again now (because AA or United wanted them to wait, perhaps).

Pier A is the American side. Pier B is the US Airways side. The language in the announcement maybe reflects US Airways' status as the "surviving" company in the merger, but it's confusing.

Back