Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I started hating United after taking a flight from San Diego to Newark.

5-6 hour flight time on a new plane.

• Rock hard seats, less comfortable than the red line
    Minimal legroom
    ZERO entertainment options
    1. No overhead movies
    2. No seat back movies
    3. No armrest radio
    No power outlets
    No free snacks or food

These days United competes with Spirit and Frontier.

There's this great thing called first class. If you want a better experience, pay for it.

I started hating United after taking a flight from San Diego to Newark.

5-6 hour flight time on a new plane.

• Rock hard seats, less comfortable than the red line
    Minimal legroom
    ZERO entertainment options
    1. No overhead movies
    2. No seat back movies
    3. No armrest radio
    No power outlets
    No free snacks or food

These days United competes with Spirit and Frontier.

For years now, customers have been consistently selecting for the very lowest airfare available above all else.

That purchasing behavior drives the kind of customer experience. You shop for cheap transportation, you get cheap transportation.

There's this great thing called first class. If you want a better experience, pay for it.

or pay the same at a better airline. That's ultra low cost kind of quality we are talking about here, without ultra low pricing.

As for virgin America, I think we've all learned from experience that once a merger is announced, the quality of service plummets for both airlines involved, especially the one being taken over. The employees never take well to an uncertain future.

A decline in service right about now could be expected, I really wish we'd block these mergers.

the traveling public

the traveling public

the traveling public

I will give you $800 to stop using this phrase. Whether or not the traveling public is aware of how United operates is entirely irrelevant. Forcing someone who has bought and paid for a ticket off a plane is a shit policy. The fact that you don't understand that speaks to how little you know about how the traveling public (viz. human beings) operates.

Last edited:
Anyways, it will be interesting to see what DL has in the works for Boston next year once the Terminal B project is complete and Southwest moves over there to free up 4 (?) gates in A for Delta.

To keep this on topic - Delta has a lot varied aircraft which could help them launch some other destinations in US that JetBlue cannot. I could see the following

Increase Florida
Chicago-O'Hare - this one has to happen
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Madison WI/Louisville/Omaha with E175
New Orleans
Aruba
St. Maarten
San Juan - seasonally perhaps but they don't like to start new Caribbean markets from Logan
Manchester UK - take it over from Virgin with 757
Barcelona - Beat Norwegian and Level/IAG to the punch
Rome -seasonally if Alitalia bites the dust.

To keep this on topic - Delta has a lot varied aircraft which could help them launch some other destinations in US that JetBlue cannot. I could see the following

Increase Florida
Chicago-O'Hare - this one has to happen
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Madison WI/Louisville/Omaha with E175
New Orleans
Aruba
St. Maarten
San Juan - seasonally perhaps but they don't like to start new Caribbean markets from Logan
Manchester UK - take it over from Virgin with 757
Barcelona - Beat Norwegian and Level/IAG to the punch
Rome -seasonally if Alitalia bites the dust.

Chicago will be very interesting as it will turn that market into a bigger bloodbath. Delta would be the 5th carrier in the ORD/MDW market.

Messed up in a big way? All procedures were followed by UA's personnel at O'Hare. They had an operational need to position four crewmembers of a United Express partner to SDF to support the operation of a flight the following morning. FAA required minimum rest and applicable collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) have certain requirements of the timing and conditions necessary. Volunteers were solicited to receive vouchers for future travel on United/United Express up to $1000, plus overnight accommodation and meal vouchers. No one volunteered, so UA had to involuntarily deny boarding to several passengers, which requires cold hard cash per the US DOT guidelines.

Said passenger refused to de-board the aircraft when directed by United personnel and later Chicago Airport police and was forcibly removed. As someone who works in the industry and has directly worked for two carriers, the traveling public and media are generally clueless about how airlines operate and actually make money. Airlines are easy targets for the media and consumer groups. That said, UA desperately needs better social media personnel. Telling the traveling public over social media that the contract of carriage allows them to deny boarding to someone who is insubordinate and could be a liability is asking for confrontation.

So what? Personnel management is the airline's problem, not the customer's. Yes, airlines do have to make money, but they happen to be enjoying record profits at this time (much of which is underwritten by many of the rules that make this sort of crap legal -rules and exemptions that would be a scam in any other industry), though I get the feeling that this will cost United dearly and go down as a prime example of what not to do in business school textbooks of the future. This whole incident reflects an appalling lack of planning and judgment on United's part.

Whoever is responsible for their PR is in the wrong business. The CEO's corporate newspeak is indicative of a lot what is wrong with business in this country. Had they actually apologized (and not say "we apologize" -that's not an apology), made amends, and moved on this probably would have blown over a lot more quickly.

I will give you $800 to stop using this phrase. Whether or not the traveling public is aware of how United operates is entirely irrelevant. Forcing someone who has bought and paid for a ticket off a plane is a shit policy. The fact that you don't understand that speaks to how little you know about how the traveling public (viz. human beings) operates.

Ok, what should the people who occasionally travel on UA or feel the need to engage with their social channels be called? Passengers? General Public? Customers?

People book hotel rooms and then get "walked" and directed to a provider transportation to a nearby property, often times are not charged for their stay and the property they originally booked usually covers at least a single night or sometimes entire stay at the reaccomodation property. This becoming an increasingly common occurrence in our area, particularly during the summer when all properties in a 50-mile radius end up being completely sold out. With hoteliers as a customer you are subject to state, county and in some cases city ordinances. They aren't required to disclose their "walk rates", aren't required to give a specific compensation in the form of cold hard cash like the airlines are on the spot.

All businesses and industries have operational challenges. People buy tickets at Fenway and sometimes the game is rained out, and then they aren't able to attend the rescheduled game. What about power outages from NStar (Eversource)? There's tons of other other examples in consumer facing industries.

It's not right they were unable to transport this gentleman but there is a procedure in place and when he purchased his ticket he had the opportunity to review the CofC and neglected to do so.

Actually, its called Jetblue. Or Delta. Or Virgin America (RIP).

For years now, customers have been consistently selecting for the very lowest airfare available above all else.

That purchasing behavior drives the kind of customer experience. You shop for cheap transportation, you get cheap transportation.

False. Its common to say "people will book whatever is cheapest, period". And yet many people will always exclude Spirit, Frontier and Allegient from their searches because it doesnt matter how cheap they are, they are an unacceptable experience.

It was my mistake to associate United as a mainline airline. I hadnt realized they were now competing with Spirit et al but at mainline prices.

Youre right, I went with United that time, likely because they were cheaper. But it only takes one garbage experience to make sure that mistake isnt made again.

Hell, this past Monday to go from BOS to NJ I had a choice between United and Amtrak. United was $10 more (49 vs 59), but would save me 90 minutes.

I went with Amtrak.

Actually, its called Jetblue. Or Delta. Or Virgin America (RIP).

False. Its common to say "people will book whatever is cheapest, period". And yet many people will always exclude Spirit, Frontier and Allegient from their searches because it doesnt matter how cheap they are, they are an unacceptable experience.

It was my mistake to associate United as a mainline airline. I hadnt realized they were now competing with Spirit et al but at mainline prices.

Youre right, I went with United that time, likely because they were cheaper. But it only takes one garbage experience to make sure that mistake isnt made again.

Hell, this past Monday to go from BOS to NJ I had a choice between United and Amtrak. United was $10 more (49 vs 59), but would save me 90 minutes.

I went with Amtrak.

More people need to push back on the massive deterioration of service quality. I am one who will not book the bare-bones carriers, nor United, because of horrible experiences.

Ok, what should the people who occasionally travel on UA or feel the need to engage with their social channels be called? Passengers? General Public? Customers?

People book hotel rooms and then get "walked" and directed to a provider transportation to a nearby property, often times are not charged for their stay and the property they originally booked usually covers at least a single night or sometimes entire stay at the reaccomodation property. This becoming an increasingly common occurrence in our area, particularly during the summer when all properties in a 50-mile radius end up being completely sold out. With hoteliers as a customer you are subject to state, county and in some cases city ordinances. They aren't required to disclose their "walk rates", aren't required to give a specific compensation in the form of cold hard cash like the airlines are on the spot.

All businesses and industries have operational challenges. People buy tickets at Fenway and sometimes the game is rained out, and then they aren't able to attend the rescheduled game. What about power outages from NStar (Eversource)? There's tons of other other examples in consumer facing industries.

It's not right they were unable to transport this gentleman but there is a procedure in place and when he purchased his ticket he had the opportunity to review the CofC and neglected to do so.

Here's the problem here: Your response is redolent with industry vernacular: "Walk rates". If you don't work in the field, that term has zero meaning to anyone.

People who pay for a service, such as say, an airline ticket, are customers. That's what anyone of reasonable mind would term them, even if that's not the proper corporate lingo. You may even refer them to passengers - until they are forcibly removed from a plane, I mean.

I've seen you post here log enough that I've understood and respected your tremendous wealth of knowledge on the inside of the industry. At the same time, I think it also serves to insulate you from how the outside world sees things.

Contracts of carriage are one thing, but sometime bad PR and the resulting backlash vastly outweighs whatever legal standing an airline might have.

Last edited:
I just want AA to switch their BOS-LAX planes to lie flats (maybe a reconfigured 757). Pretty please? Maybe bring back a BOS-LHR? Regardless, I recently tried Prem. Econ on Norwegian to London Gatwick, and that's pretty much a no brainer for heading out there for $400 one way for the date I went.

I just want AA to switch their BOS-LAX planes to lie flats (maybe a reconfigured 757). Pretty please? Maybe bring back a BOS-LHR? Regardless, I recently tried Prem. Econ on Norwegian to London Gatwick, and that's pretty much a no brainer for heading out there for $400 one way for the date I went.

757 to LAX is extremely unlikely at this stage. LAX no longer sees the 757/763/S80 anymore and no longer has B-checks for those types. As it is with the fleet drawdown and cabin improvement project underway the fleet has very little slack.

LHR is equally unlike and is well served by BA under the JBV.

American Airlines will be cutting Boston-Buffalo at the end of the summer leaving JetBlue as the only operator..... for now.

Some talk on airliners.net that Rochester NY is begging for Boston service on JetBlue as well.

JetBlue is going to add a 5th daily flight on Boston-Buffalo starting in November.

Emirates reducing flights from 5 of 12 cities including Boston. Effective June 2, 2017, second service EK239/240 will be suspended; reducing Boston service to daily.

Could this mean an upgauge to the A380?

It stands to reason EK may make their soon to be single daily flight an A380. Based on their loads for the current flights they shouldn't have an issue filling up a daily 380.

It stands to reason EK may make their soon to be single daily flight an A380. Based on their loads for the current flights they shouldn't have an issue filling up a daily 380.

I think its possible that this happens. However, things must be bad if they made this cut for July and August: their two best months load wise at Logan.

JetBlue is applying for Boston to Havana flights. They would operate 1 time a week - Saturday.

Back