Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Mexico City is the most underrated North American destination. It is my favorite North American city to visit, mainly because unlike NYC I can afford to go to the fancy restaurants and bars in Mexico City.

Scary brown people

Scary brown people everywhere

DeltaOne finally coming to BOS-LAX:

http://news.delta.com/delta-one-service-amenities-take-flight-select-long-haul-domestic-markets

Will operate on two of three daily frequencies from April 1, 2018.

Separately, Delta has announced that these enhanced service flights operated with DeltaOne amenities AND seating will be eligible for complimentary upgrades on day of flight, but in practice upgrades will be few and far between even for Platinum and Diamond Medallions. Of course, Delta has waffled on this policy many times so who knows in 6-12 months what the state of all this will be.

He usually takes AA via Dallas or Miami (he has lifetime Gold) but was very happy with the Aeromexico flight, aside from an awkward flight time. Aeromexico usually costs more than the AA route, and he doesnt have status, but he said going forward he'll probably pay the premium.

Note that the awkward flight time is due to the Mexico City airport being full, but there building a new airport which will clear that up.

I booked through Delta (at work) and had an hour and a half layover at JFK (Delta to JFK and AeroMexico to Mexico City), the JFK flight got me into Mexico City around 7pm local. The flight was super nice and was on a 787 Dreamliner.

The direct flight from Mexico City to Boston was a lot more convenient than the other direction. Flight departed Mexico City at 3:30pm local and arrive in Boston at 9pm local. The plane is smaller, 737-800, but seemed pretty new.

Finally! And given the success Norwegian has had on BOS-LGW I imagine it won't be too long before Level gives Paris-Orly a shot from Logan..

Finally we get our Boston-Barcelona flight. It was snuck in with LEVEL's launch of Paris-Orly.

http://newsroom.aviator.aero/level-launches-four-routes-from-paris-orly-with-fares-from-eu99/

Starts 3-28-18 and is Wed/Sat on A330-200 until early August when it becomes Mon/Thurs/Sat

BOS-BCN 20:15-9:25
BCN-BOS 16:00-18:15

Interesting. Flights aren't bookable yet (they're listed, but you get an error), but I'm interested to see what fares look like. LEVEL looks like it's going to be doing its best Norwegian impression (though LEVEL has IFE), so they may do OK. I wish they'd start with more than twice per week. That makes it less appealing.

Not BOS, but PVD:

Air Canada (Express) is returning to PVD. Seasonally, at least Flights for the summer season begin in May: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...sh-six-new-routes-three-new-cities/904691001/

TF Green is on a nice little run with the Frontier and Norwegian additions. This is another good one. After LCCs like Southwest and Jetblue expanded in Boston, Providence took a bit of a nose dive in Passenger numbers. I'm glad to see they're adding more flights (inc. more international ones) now. It's a great airport.

Scary brown people

Scary brown people everywhere

Or you know rather than jump on the racism bandwagon maybe it has to do with needing to know the Spanish language.

I just don't have the patience to deal with non-English speaking destinations. That's not racism... just pragmatism.

Or you know rather than jump on the racism bandwagon maybe it has to do with needing to know the Spanish language.

I just don't have the patience to deal with non-English speaking destinations. That's not racism... just pragmatism.

Maybe not racism, but that's still a largely inaccurate generalization. English is spoken almost everywhere - even in countries where English isn't the primary language. You need to know approximately zero Spanish in Mexico City to be able to get by easily. I've had an easier time communicating with people in Rwanda, Tanzania, Mexico, Denmark, India, etc. than I did in rural Scotland where the "English" is so thick it's hard to understand. Even in Japan, where almost nobody will speak English, it's easy to get around and get by because signs, menus, etc. are all in English.

I understand that everyone has their preferences, and non-English speaking countries intimidate some travelers; but not speaking the local language really isn't an issue in most places people travel to at least semi-regularly. At all.

Your "pragmatism" is causing you to miss out on... most of the world.

Not BOS, but PVD:

Air Canada (Express) is returning to PVD. Seasonally, at least Flights for the summer season begin in May: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...sh-six-new-routes-three-new-cities/904691001/

TF Green is on a nice little run with the Frontier and Norwegian additions. This is another good one. After LCCs like Southwest and Jetblue expanded in Boston, Providence took a bit of a nose dive in Passenger numbers. I'm glad to see they're adding more flights (inc. more international ones) now. It's a great airport.

PVD seems to be rebounding from the recession much better than MHT.

PVD seems to be rebounding from the recession much better than MHT.

It seems that way. While PVD is actually a bit further from Boston than MHT, it's far better connected and serves a much larger population center. So those factors certainly don't hurt. I've flown from MHT a few times too though and the experience has been good.

Fortunately for English speakers, English is the language of business like French is the language of diplomacy. English is a common lingua franca and you will find that many well educated people around the world speak at least some english.

Also the star rating system for hotels, four star hotels require bilingual staff, 5 star hotels multi lingual staff. English is usually one of the languages spoken. There's a reason why international business travelers tend to stay in these higher quality places.

We are talking about Mexico City, not Tuxtla Gutiérrez

I dont think this was reported:

Copa:
Panama City – Boston eff 02FEB18 Increase from 7 to 11 weekly

JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes is scheduled at a Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce meeting Thursday, where he is expected to announce the start date for flights from Worcester Regional Airport to New York.

The airline earlier this year announced the expansion of flights from Worcester airport to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, a major development for New England's second-largest city.

These new flights will allow people in Central Massachusetts to make day trips to New York or connect to international flights departing from JFK.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/12/jetblue_ceo_to_announce_start.html

J
These new flights will allow people in Central Massachusetts to make day trips to New York or connect to international flights departing from JFK.
[/url]

Day trips? Worcester is even closer to NYC by car than Boston and lots of people drive to NYC from Boston. Weird statement by the CEO.

Day trips? Worcester is even closer to NYC by car than Boston and lots of people drive to NYC from Boston. Weird statement by the CEO.

He's an airline CEO. He's not saying that trips were impossible on other modes. He's saying day trips are now possible by air.

Worcester is in a funny spot vs NYC travel, perhaps exploitable by JetBlue:
- Acela is a good option...but you have to drive to PVD
- Driving is good to Westchester/Triboro type places that LGA or HPN are near, but getting to Brooklyn or Wall St can be hard
- JFK has Air Train + A Train access to Brooklyn & Wall Street
- Growth at PVD suggests ORH should be able to support more service, even though it has always struggled
- JetBlue has had decent success adding odd airports within major metros (LGB in Los Angeles, SWF and HPN in Greater NYC)
- I-95 (and soon I-84) (re)construction are a big wildcard for car trips

Last edited:
Good news and potential bad news.

Boston-London Gatwick will be daily on Norwegian for the summer season.

BUT it appears seasonal Boston-Oslo/Copenhagen are cut by Norwegian unless there is a shuffle going on from other recent long haul adds (Los Angeles-Milan, JFK-Amsterdam, JFK/LA-Madrid). They did post a long-haul route map with the routes still being served. There's a chance they are just syncing these flights to go on the off-days of the Boston-Paris flight.

Good news and potential bad news.

Boston-London Gatwick will be daily on Norwegian for the summer season.

BUT it appears seasonal Boston-Oslo/Copenhagen are cut by Norwegian unless there is a shuffle going on from other recent long haul adds (Los Angeles-Milan, JFK-Amsterdam, JFK/LA-Madrid). They did post a long-haul route map with the routes still being served. There's a chance they are just syncing these flights to go on the off-days of the Boston-Paris flight.

Looks like they're definitely cutting Oslo and Stockholm to help fill LGW daily and also new routes from LAX and JFK.

On the plus side Hainan is adding frequencies on Shanghai - Boston. They cut Shanghai - Seattle in order to do this.

Back