Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Other then slightly more turbulence, is there much of a difference?

Usually there are only 2 bathrooms at the back of the plane for ~160 people. The wait can get really long and the bathrooms can get pretty nasty, especially on an overnight flight when everyone will be using them at once when they wake up. I've seen the line stretch halfway down the cabin on an A321 redeye transcon flight.

There's also not anywhere you can get up and stretch. The back galley is usually occupied by the FA's and people waiting to go to the bathroom. Even if there's no one there it's usually pretty cramped with not much room to move. In a widebody there's usually a ton of space near the lavatories to get up and stretch for a few minutes.

I personally wouldn't fly on a narrow-body TATL unless the price was significantly (i.e. $300+) cheaper.

That might be a tough sell to people - an 8 hour and 45 minutes flight on a single aisle plane.

Are we talking Athens or Milan?

A321neoLR cannot do Boston-Athens. The rumored XLR may be able to.

Norwegian could do Athens on a 787 though but they would probably lose their shirt.

I could see Delta throwing a seasonal aircraft on that route.

Though I think the Athens to Boston route is the type of route that a MOM Boeing aircraft would be perfect for.

That might be a tough sell to people - an 8 hour and 45 minutes flight on a single aisle plane.

95% of people have no idea what kind of plane theyre getting until they stand inside it

95% of people have no idea what kind of plane theyre getting until they stand inside it

And Norwegian is going after the leisure traveler more then the frequent business traveler with their trans Atlantic flights.

But just another point on Athens, Emirates flies from Athens to Newark. I could see them doing something similar to Boston.

True, but most of them select seats and can see that it's a single aisle or wide body. I think that even if they're clueless to the differences, once they experience a TATL flight on a narrow body and hate it, they'll know what to look out for next time and it'll be a deterrent. While Norwegian, Primera, and others aren't going to ever attract the loyal business travelers (especially since the narrow bodies on Norwegian don't have a premium cabin), they can turn leisure travelers off permanently. I guess time will tell whether enough travelers will deal with it for the lower costs. Spirit manages to survive even though they offer a miserable product, but my guess is lots of people won't tolerate it overseas.

Personally, I'm sort of an avgeek who tries to find deal and will fly almost anything if the price is right, but I seek out widebodies for overseas flights. It would take a decent price difference to make it worth it for me to fly TATL on a narrow body, and honestly, the price difference usually isn't that much when you start talking seat assignments and bags. For example, I'm flying BOS-DUB next month for $415 r/t on Aer Lingus. That's an A330 and includes my seat assignment and checked bags. I'll also get a meal, beverages, IFE, etc. The base ticket on Norwegian from PVD may be $100 cheaper, but it ends up being more expensive if I check a bag or want to pick my seats. Norwegian is banking on enough people who feel the sacrifices for that $100 difference are worth it. I don't think the market is there. Not completely, anyway.

*disclaimer*
I flew Norwegian's 787 a few times out of Boston in both premium and econ. I didn't hate it (especially the premium product for the money). But the 737 Max looks dreadful.

Last edited:
Norwegian is banking on enough people who feel the sacrifices for that $100 difference are worth .

Or people who don't travel often and don't realize they aren't comparing apples to apples in terms of what a base fare includes and does not include.

Primera Air continues to add flights to Europe, now Frankfurt will be added. Starting in summer 2019 they will fly 4 weekly flights between Frankfurt and Boston.

They're also adding daily flights to Toronto and New York JFK from Frankfurt too and 3 weekly to Montreal.

https://twitter.com/primeraair/status/1037308203632132098

I'm not sure I'd make long-range plans with them, though. They have aircraft delivery issues and they're still in that start up phase of throwing things at the wall. Most of these Boston routes won't last.

I'm not sure I'd make long-range plans with them, though. They have aircraft delivery issues and they're still in that start up phase of throwing things at the wall. Most of these Boston routes won't last.

Agreed. Though I almost pulled the trigger on a $179 round trip to Paris this month. Even with bags and seat assignment it was well under $300 r/t.

I'm surprised by FRA. London and Paris can probably handle the redundancy because, well, they're London and Paris. But Frankfurt is a different animal and unless Primera is secretly establishing a hub there (London, Paris, Berlin, and Brussels are "operating bases"), I really don't understand the move. Though if it drives down LH fares, even temporarily, I won't hate it.

Another week, another new route added by Primera. This time they're adding non-stop flights to Boston from Madrid. 3 weekly flights. They're also adding daily flights to Newark and 4 weekly flights to Toronto.

Flights to Boston begin on August 17, 2019.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/3...s-trans-atlantic-service-from-madrid-in-3q19/

So next summer we'll have Madrid, Brussels, Frankfurt, Berlin, London Stanstead and Paris Charles de Gaulle.

Last edited:
Another week, another new route added by Primera. This time they're adding non-stop flights to Boston from Madrid. 3 weekly flights. They're also adding daily flights to Newark and 4 weekly flights to Toronto.

Flights to Boston begin on August 17, 2019.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/3...s-trans-atlantic-service-from-madrid-in-3q19/

So next summer we'll have Madrid, Brussels, Frankfurt, Berlin, London Stanstead and Paris Charles de Gaulle.

Hopefully this will help with Iberia's prices which I find to be random and pricey.

Back