Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

They're only going toe deep, with infrequent flights for only a month and a half.

There is already a bunch of competition on that route. Spirit, Jetblue, and Delta all fly there. Plus you have AA and Delta flying to MIA (lots of overlap with FLL), and Jetblue and Delta to PBI.

Though the Boston to South Florida market is huge, so there might be room for one more carrier.

Hahaha, one sorry flight a week, what's the point, Southwest? Jet Blue kills it in terms of service, seat comfort, snacks, and price! No comparison, I dropped SW the minute Jet Blue began flying ATL-BOS, and ATL-FLL.

This sounds as if it is an aircraft positioning flight, with the aircrafts' ultimate to/from destination being in the Caribbean, e.g. Cuba, Turks and Caicos.

Curious to hear if people who are knowledgeable about aviation / the airline industry think this is meaningful?

It sounds impressive to me, but I don't know enough about the space to make an informed judgment.

Curious to hear if people who are knowledgeable about aviation / the airline industry think this is meaningful?

It sounds impressive to me, but I don't know enough about the space to make an informed judgment.

I am no aviation expert but to me this is another missile fired (albeit a big one) in the ongoing JetBlue/Delta war over BOS supremacy. Hubs also don't mean what they used to and that's generally a good thing.

It seems to me (also not an expert) like a very significant statement of commitment to Boston. It also is telling about their strategy - beef up TATL routes as well as feeders domestically. another takeaway for me was role congestion at JFK is playing in Delta's growth at BOS.

JetBlue is shifting its Houston flight from Hobby over to Bush Intercontinental. The move will take place starting October 27, 2019.

They may not use the term Hub -- but when you have this many departures in a 15 hr day -- you are a HUB

from Wikipedia on JetBlue destinations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JetBlue_destinations

JetBlue destinations (2011)
As of July 29, 2016, JetBlue serves over 100 destinations throughout the United States and abroad. JetBlue is one of the largest airlines in the Northeast United States. JetBlue's most recent[when?] focus has been on Boston and the Caribbean.

Jet Blue top cities by departures (June 2, 2019)
Rank Airport Departures
  • 1 Boston 194
  • 2 New York–JFK 170
  • 3 Fort Lauderdale 117
  • 4 Orlando 84

If the cutoff is Orlando at about 6 per hour -- Boston is doing about 15 / hr

Strange Little Deletion:
Jet Blue has cancelled all morning flights the first week of July LGA-BOS or BOS-LGA but then they return as if nothing happened on July 8th

(Also odd: my R/T BOS-LGA-BOS on B6 was to/from the Marine Air Terminal.)

Is this possibly construction related?

DL and AA seem to be running their full schedules BOS-LGA next week.

Strange Little Deletion:
Jet Blue has cancelled all morning flights the first week of July LGA-BOS or BOS-LGA but then they return as if nothing happened on July 8th

(Also odd: my R/T BOS-LGA-BOS on B6 was to/from the Marine Air Terminal.)

Is this possibly construction related?

DL and AA seem to be running their full schedules BOS-LGA next week.

As someone who is heavily invested in the aviation industry (specifically Boston, as it's my base) I think I can answer this. The week of July 1-8, usually has a different schedule than the rest of the summer when it comes to the aviation world. There will be more demand on routes like BOS/JFK/LGA/PHL/DCA to MCO/FLL/TPA/RSW/JAX, and less on business heavy routes like LGA-BOS or ORD-BOS. The schedules for these flights will be slightly reduced during this "holiday" week, and placed on routes with higher demand. Its more like how there are 4 planes assigned to BOS-DCA on American Airlines Monday through Friday, but on Saturdays only 1 or 2 are, and routes like BOS-CUN and BOS-PUJ get assigned aircraft because there is less business demand and more leisure demand on the weekends. So its more or less JetBlue catering to the heightened demand to desirable getaway July 4th Holiday destinations.

Also, source tells me that American Airlines could be significantly slashing BOS-DCA flights as Delta enters the market and jetBlue ramps up frequencies. The margins were slim on this flight from US Airways takeover, but have improved even with service reductions. Well see.. but thats a little inside information I have.

Massachoicetts, thanks for that explanation. I had great difficulty finding a flight on Saturday the 6th from BOS to DCA, other than early morning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...pe-with-new-long-range-airbus-321xlrjets.html

Looks like Logan will get more European destinations via Jet Blue!

It'll be interesting to see where Jetblue deploys these planes to. We already know about London. Delta has built out a pretty solid European network from Boston. Amsterdam, Paris and London are all year round and at least daily. Seasonal service to Dublin, Lisbon and Edinburgh. It'll be interesting to see if they also do some further expansion - places like Milan, Brussels, Porto and even Athens could work for seasonal service.

Back