Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

On the un-sexy side of potential route additions:

BTV and maybe BGR seem like low-hanging regional fruit. Probably just a matter of gate space for whoever would fly those routes (probably Delta) There could also be potential for more PWM-BOS (if only for airside connections)

Potential to regain BOS-PQI if the Feds give an EAS contract to Silver.

Last edited:
Looks like JetBlue is adding non-stop service from Logan to Bozeman (BZN). Haven't seen the frequency, times or start date yet. Based on that addition and the Steamboat/Hayden add last year, I wonder if we eventually see JetBlue winter non-stop service to Jackson Hole (JAC). I've always wondered about Reno/Tahoe too.

Would love to see the source on this & any stats on seats filled on that BOS > Hayden route. Interesting that all the new "ski flights" are Ikon Pass resorts (Jac, Steamboat, Big Sky). The duopoly in the ski pass industry will have a major spillover effect if those direct flights enter service.

Would love to see the source on this

JetBlue tweeted it this morning. I just went back to look for the tweet and it has since been deleted although you can still see that the JetBlue account did respond to a tweet this am about things to do in Bozeman. Hmmmm.....

On the un-sexy side of potential route additions:

BTV and maybe BGR seem like low-hanging regional fruit. Probably just a matter of gate space for whoever would fly those routes (probably Delta) There could also be potential for more PWM-BOS (if only for airside connections)

All are drivable in under four hours and already have access to most major east coast hubs.

JetBlue tweeted it this morning. I just went back to look for the tweet and it has since been deleted although you can still see that the JetBlue account did respond to a tweet this am about things to do in Bozeman. Hmmmm.....

Boston-Havana and Boston-Oakland are cut though.

Bozeman will be Wed/Sat and there will be a winter ski season schedule too.

Long Beach got trimmed too today and Havana-JFK will only be weekly. JetBlue also added Guatemala City from JFK.

Looks like they're closing down Oakland all together. Gotta figure it's only a matter of time before they close Long Beach completely.

Bozeman will be a nice summer add for those wanting to visit Yellowstone.

Gotta figure it's only a matter of time before they [JetBlue] close Long Beach completely.
I thought that LGB would represent a durable base for *somebody*, given its capacity constraints (slots) would always have some opportunity to run monopoly/duopoly routes (whereas LAX tends to have 3 or 4 airlines on routes in the bigger markets).

Jetblue also hiking checked bag rates. Again.

Scumbags.

Looks like JetBlue is adding non-stop service from Logan to Bozeman (BZN). Haven't seen the frequency, times or start date yet. Based on that addition and the Steamboat/Hayden add last year, I wonder if we eventually see JetBlue winter non-stop service to Jackson Hole (JAC). I've always wondered about Reno/Tahoe too.
Nice another Ikon pass flight. That flight also makes sense for summer Yellowstone traffic.

I hope they add a flight to Aspen too.

LEVEL is dropping BOS-ORY .. before it even started.

However, this week we added so many routes, that losing a summer seasonal ORY isn't a huge deal. Also could this mean a drop of an AA BOS-CDG?

LEVEL is dropping BOS-ORY .. before it even started.

However, this week we added so many routes, that losing a summer seasonal ORY isn't a huge deal. Also could this mean a drop of an AA BOS-CDG?

Boston to Europe is over served, just like pretty much every US city including places like Miami, San Francisco and Dallas/Ft. Worth. Bookings must have been pretty bad for them to cut it before it even began. I doubt we'll see AA start service to CDG. Air France/Delta have it well served.

Frontier Airlines is adding new daily nonstop service from BOS-PHL.

Service begins May 1st, 2020 and runs on a daily schedule.

Now there will be 27x daily departures on BOS-PHL (Peak Day). 12x AA, 8x jetBlue, 6x Delta, 1x Frontier.

*Edited to reflect 12, not 10, AA Departures*

Last edited:
Frontier Airlines is adding new daily nonstop service from BOS-PHL.

Service begins May 1st, 2020 and runs on a daily schedule.

Now there will be 25x daily departures on BOS-PHL (Peak Day). 10x AA, 8x jetBlue, 6x Delta, 1x Frontier.

There's no way that's sustainable.

AA needs the flights to feed their network, but DL and B6 have more than enough capacity on that route for business P2P travel.

There's no way that's sustainable.

AA needs the flights to feed their network, but DL and B6 have more than enough capacity on that route for business P2P travel.

Yeah AUS, RDU, NYC, PHL and SFO are all very overserved for this upcoming summer. However, I think Frontier will do well because its really the only 'get away' flight, or being heavily advertised as. Fares are very low and the times are great.. mid morning.

AA has already cut PHL from peak day 16 daily flights. However I could stand corrected on 10x this summer peak day... it might be more 12 to 14.

*Edit: Yes... AA has 12, my mistake* So very overkill in all honesty.

Last edited:
Frontier seems an odd entry for BOS-PHL, and I have doubts about their ability to survive on the route. As North Shore mentioned, AA can weather reduced P2P traffic considering AA is a hub and feeds the rest of their network. Delta and JetBlue have big followings out of Boston and can probably also serve the business and (I would imagine, small) leisure market. I just don't know who will be flying Frontier to PHL once the promo fares are gone.

Given that AA chased Southwest out of BOS-PHL, I don't see how Frontier lasts, unless it is somehow a utilization or positioning flight, a short hop that fills a plane's midday.

Given that AA chased Southwest out of BOS-PHL, I don't see how Frontier lasts, unless it is somehow a utilization or positioning flight, a short hop that fills a plane's midday.

But didn't AA do that when they had a lock on the route? With B6 and DL, it's a different context this time.

But didn't AA do that when they had a lock on the route? With B6 and DL, it's a different context this time.

Which likely makes even more difficult for Frontier. AA, DL, and B6 are Boston's Big Three. AA has the hub at PHL, and DL and B6 have hubs/focus cities in Boston. All three have big followings out of BOS. Who is Frontier's market in Boston? PHL isn't Myrtle Beach or Orlando. There's some leisure travel in there, but the O&D market is heavily skewed towards business travelers. I am really having a hard time understanding the thought process on this one is, and would expect it to go down as another miss on Frontier "let's throw things at the wall and see what sticks" approach to p2p routes.*

*The exception being that this is purely a positioning flight for other routes they think will be more profitable.

Back