Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I won't derail this read except with one comment: As per my original post about direct service from Boston, I fly into MCI a LOT! LOL It's truly horrible with almost no food or amenity options; but last March, I did see the brand new terminal under construction. It looks nice. As you mention, EVERY gate at MCI has their own security. It was designed back in the 70's when you could park near your gate and just run into the terminal to catch your plane. It was probably a good idea at the time, but with HUGE unintended consequences after security became FAR more important. Because of this weird design, there are almost NO food/drink and other amenity options AFTER security. I think each gate area has been retro-fitted with restrooms, a minimum of one food option and one essential store per gate. My last flight had ONE Starbucks, ONE hamburger option, and ONE news stand store. It was like rats packed into a space that was 10 times smaller than it should have been. Anyway........if you are going to fly direct from Boston.........it's the ONLY game in town if you are traveling to Nebraska, Kansas, western Missouri, Iowa, or Oklahoma. As I mentioned, it serves a BIG territory.
Having family in KC, Lincoln, and Omaha, I know exactly what you mean. The last time I flew out of MCI in 2012 (I had just read McCullough's biography on Harry Truman and used the opportunity to stop in and see if everything was up to date and visit the Truman Library and NPS sites in Independence, while also visiting cousins in Parkville and Liberty before moving on to visit friends in Dallas), I was surprised at how inefficient the terminals were. Each security checkpoint served maybe only two or three gates and the waiting areas were small. I happened to be flying to DFW from MCI, where I saw the basically (and ridiculously) larger but more versatile version of the same terminals. I recall at least some of the restaurants at MCI having dual bars and dining areas: one on the airside and one on the curbside, served by the same kitchen and staff. I remember TWA and Midwest Express used to have one stop stay-on-the-plane service BOS-OMA via STL and MKE, respectively, and I think I recall Midwest having a direct BOS-OMA flight in the mid 1990s.

I feel like this should be bigger news. Is this the first direct connection from Boston to Eastern Europe?

Like the Norse one it's wait until it is loaded but man the clock is ticking for LOT. You would want this loaded by February 1 for a hypothetical June start though I recall TAP announcing around January-ish.

Like the Norse one it's wait until it is loaded but man the clock is ticking for LOT. You would want this loaded by February 1 for a hypothetical June start though I recall TAP announcing around January-ish.
I think Condor announced in mid-Feb 2022. They have some time.

Hainan intends to restore non-stop service to both Beijing (Capital) and Shanghai (Pudong) as of February 17th.

Hainan intends to restore non-stop service to both Beijing (Capital) and Shanghai (Pudong) as of February 17th.

I couldn't believe it so I pulled up the DOT filing and confirmed.

Go to regulations.gov and pull up DOT-OST-2020-0052-0102. That is Hainan's filing with DOT about the flight reinstatements.

Both Beijing and Shanghai will be three weekly 787 (unclear if 788 or 789). Beijing Mon/Wed/Fri and Shanghai Tue/Thu/Sat service.

I couldn't believe it so I pulled up the DOT filing and confirmed.

Go to regulations.gov and pull up DOT-OST-2020-0052-0102. That is Hainan's filing with DOT about the flight reinstatements.

Both Beijing and Shanghai will be three weekly 787 (unclear if 788 or 789). Beijing Mon/Wed/Fri and Shanghai Tue/Thu/Sat service.

You're a better researcher than me - good work. I spent about 10 minutes trying to look it up and gave up.

Last edited:
There's a DC-Bozeman flight on an E175? Jesus, that's gotta be one uncomfortable haul. Seems like the perfect job for a Delta A220/C-series

Yeah--1,530 nm on a straight line, I checked. But, say you start hitting the Rockies' notoriously chronic and brutal downdrafts around, where, the Dakotas/MT border? In that case, you're being buffeted for some 250 nm.

I checked the specs on Wikipedia--the A220 is significantly faster (470 nm/hr vs. 430 nm/hr, cruising, which translates to 20 minutes for that distance), and its maximum takeoff weight, which I'm assuming is a proxy for how much brawn a plane has to help it power through turbulence, is 63% greater... either way, having flown around the Intermountain West a lot, you can tossed around the sky anywhere out there!

I checked the specs on Wikipedia--the A220 is significantly faster (470 nm/hr vs. 430 nm/hr, cruising, which translates to 20 minutes for that distance), and its maximum takeoff weight, which I'm assuming is a proxy for how much brawn a plane has to help it power through turbulence, is 63% greater... either way, having flown around the Intermountain West a lot, you can tossed around the sky anywhere out there!

MTOW's a reasonable if imperfect proxy, because aircraft are frequently not operated at MTOW (operating empty weight, OEW, is closer to fixed, with the weight of a loaded aircraft somewhere between OEW and MTOW at takeoff, and decreasing thereafter as fuel is burned). That said, you're right that the A220 is quite a bit brawnier than the E175. The E-jets (particularly the 170/175) also have something of a reputation for being uncomfortable in turbulence and in windy approaches, not to mention being a narrower aircraft with narrower seats than an A220.

JetBlue has set the times and equipment for their upcoming seasonal service to Vancouver. It's going to run from June 15 through September 3.

B6049 BOS1740 – 2107YVR 320 D
B6050 YVR2210 – 0627+1BOS 320 D

DOT Table 6 numbers for Q3 2022 came out recently

Top 11 (there was a tie for 10) unserved in PDEW are

Albuquerque - 108
Omaha - 92
Birmingham AL - 80
Greenville SC - 80
Oklahoma City -80
Reno/Lake Tahoe - 77
Madison WI - 75
Tuscon AZ - 62
Des Moines IA - 61
Greensboro NC - 57
Jackson Hole WY - 57 (Not served in 22 but has been done during pandemic intermittently)

Regarding possible market stimulation of the above it may or may not work. Here's three examples of routes that started post pandemic and their Q3 numbers in the past 4 years

First the stellar performer Asheville NC - note this is a now a 2 airline market

2019 - 46
2020 - 13
2021 - 76
2022- 151

Second - San Antonio ok rebound over pre pandemic traffic

2019- 178
2020 - 35
2021 - 140
2022 - 220

Third - Louisville KY - has not recovered post pandemic. I am interested to see what the tripling of capacity will do.

2019 - 140
2020 - 26
2021 - 90
2022 - 118

It is a bit of a mixed bag. The best performer was the shortest route. Could Greenville SC, Greensboro NC, and Madison WI be the best targets on that list?

Avianca has firmed their return to Boston.

Bogota – Boston eff 27MAR23 5 weekly A320neo (Last served until March 2019)
AV222 BOG0720 – 1445BOS 32N 15
AV226 BOG1400 – 2125BOS 32N 26
AV228 BOG2310 – 0635+1BOS 32N 3

AV223 BOS0005 – 0510BOG 32N 37
AV229 BOS0800 – 1305BOG 32N 4
AV227 BOS1605 – 2110BOG 32N 15

Level is increasing service to Barcelona from 3 to 4 weekly for the period of June 12 - September 25.

I mean even Southwest can't make DAL-BOS work.

Kind of surprised by that. Boston is a pretty large market from Dallas, so I'd assume some of their business class passengers want it. They manage to run service to LGA, even though NYC-Dallas has something like 33 flights a day between United, Delta, JetBlue, America, and Spirit. Boston has 9 between America, Delta and JetBlue.

Back