Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

If I remember correctly, the long-term plan is to make 2 more pedestrian bridges that connect North Point Park with Nashua Street Park and Nashua Street Park to Paul Revere Park/ perhaps Lovejoy Wharf area. Can anyone confirm this?

^ This. There's at least the plan to piggy-back a pedbridge from the old Spaulding site to North Point Park when they rebuild the train draws. I don't know about plans to bridge between Lovejoy and Paul Revere Park. If so, that bridge would be on the harbor side of the locks.

The locks aren't going anywhere.

I go by this every day and I'm glad to see them continuously working on the harborwalk. They made it nice and wide, and it should be really nice. Will be awesome to have water taxi service restored and [potentially] ferry service. Though a ferry might be a bit much unless they can work out North Station access for easy connections.

If I remember correctly, the long-term plan is to make 2 more pedestrian bridges that connect North Point Park with Nashua Street Park and Nashua Street Park to Paul Revere Park/ perhaps Lovejoy Wharf area. Can anyone confirm this?

The plan at least at the time when the Great Ped Bridge was opened was:

1) Bridge on the N Station side crossing the tracks from small Park behind N Station to Nashua St. Park -- might wait until the old Spauding and Mass Gen Parking lots are developed

2) Crossing the Charles -- Piggyback on the Railroad Drawbridge

3) less likely -- crossing the water @ the cove in front of the MBTA viaduct

4) now even less likely -- crossing behind the MOS from Stable to original Lock

Looks like the portion over the old building is topped. Thanks for the pictures, John!

Regarding the pedestrian bridge crossing the tracks on the North Station side - the Boston Garden/80 Causeway EPNF says that the proponent has committed to working with City of Boston, DCR, MBTA and others to advance the completion of the missing segment of the pathway...
I guess we have to wait and see what exactly "committed to working with" means.

Exactly. The funny part is that the article even sets up the fact that something major is missing: " It leaves something out, though, of the grand scheme of Lovejoy Wharf...."

And then they say parking. How about the freaking condo tower that is supposed to be there??

That rendering was pulled from TAT's Website. Originally, the entire project was designed by TAT. However, the condo portion of the revised plan is being designed by Robert Stern.

here is a refresher on the additional bridge locations:

http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=136169&postcount=80

Paul the refresher is somewhat dated [2007 graphic]

When the "New Pedestrian Crossing opened to much ado I was there for the "Great Walk-over" -- and asked the question directly to the DCR head

As I posted before this essentially was the gist of our conversation:

The plan at least at the time when the Great Ped Bridge was opened was:

1) Bridge on the N Station side crossing the tracks from small Park behind N Station to Nashua St. Park -- might wait until the old Spaulding and Mass Gen Parking lots are developed -- as far as DCR is concerned the project is "shovel ready" -- looking for the $

2) Crossing the Charles -- Piggyback on the Railroad Drawbridge -- depends on the T

3) less likely -- crossing the water @ the cove in front of the MBTA viaduct

4) now even less likely -- crossing behind the MOS from Stable to original Lock

Based on everything that has happened since then -- I would bet they will try to beat the $ for the rail crossing bridge out of one of the adjacent developers

You can fagitabouit -- with respect to Federal of State $ anytime soon

From the BRA's twitter: "Project change at Lovejoy Wharf approved. Reduces original 250 rental units to 175 condo units & eliminates parking component"

I'm fine with eliminating the parking - happy even - but geeez, the rental market in this city is a nightmare.

I'm fine with eliminating the parking - happy even - but geeez, the rental market in this city is a nightmare.

I'm assuming you're referring to a lack of apartments and astronomical rents? FWIW, the Victor and the Kensington have been offering some failry generous move-in specialts (free months rent etc.) since opening a few months ago. There's some chattering out there that they dont' seem to be filling up as quickly as anticipated.

There are a ton of apartments coming online in the next 12-18 months. It could prove interesting. On the flipside, condos downtown are very scarce right now and have been selling at a fairly rapid pace.

I'm assuming you're referring to a lack of apartments and astronomical rents? FWIW, the Victor and the Kensington have been offering some failry generous move-in specialts (free months rent etc.) since opening a few months ago. There's some chattering out there that they dont' seem to be filling up as quickly as anticipated.

There are a ton of apartments coming online in the next 12-18 months. It could prove interesting. On the flipside, condos downtown are very scarce right now and have been selling at a fairly rapid pace.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm hopeful about the signs you mention, but I'm worried that:

a) even all of those apartments simply won't be enough
b) changes in the luxury market aren't going to have a strong enough effect on the rest of the market.

All those buildings will do more then ok, it's just a matter of timing and people being in leases. That's a short term issue for properties. Come Sept. 1, all those apartments will be filled and then people will trade up.

Boston needs a ton of apts, and a lot are permitted. Developers know that and are going to stagger their timelines to try and avoid competing in the same rental cycle. Without any inside knowledge, this would be my guess as to why the 3/4 buildings proposed and permitted on the backside of north station have been lagging. After these fill, and the bruins/celtics end, I bet the basketball city towers get going. Nashua street hopefully early spring.

There is also a huge demand for condos and i bet many that jumped to rental are exploring the early condo cash out.

This staggering is a short term reaction to buildings and not a change in demand fundamentals. I think the crucial part of the longer-term equation is if Boston can maintain the healthy pace that supports developer interest and conversion but also slows rental rate growth to a more natural/inflationary level.

lovejoy.jpg

Back