Lynnport (Former GE Gear Plant) | Lynn

Tangent -- Why Not -- just before GE announced the Big Move to Boston there was a smaller notice about a new GE Division -- Current Powered by GE [strange name] currently [pun?] located in a WeWork space 745 Atlantic Ave., across from South Station

http://www.currentbyge.com/
WELCOME TO THE Energized Future
CURRENT, POWERED BY GE, IS REVOLUTIONIZING THE WAY THE WORLD THINKS ABOUT ENERGY, FROM THE SOCKET TO THE GRID.
What we can do together

At Current, we are activating and leading the transition to a 21st century ecosystem by helping companies redefine the way they use energy and data technologies.

Reduce: Cut down on energy costs and consumption by switching to energy-saving technology like LEDs.

Produce: Become more energy independent by adopting on-site generation like solar and combined heat and power.

Shift: Use energy storage, electric vehicle charging and demand response to reduce energy costs and carbon footprints.

Optimize: Harness data insights from the Industrial Internet to improve performance, create efficiencies and plan for the future.

Perhaps they want a nice captive place to show off to customers while they we wait for the "Solar Veil" on the channel

Tangent -- Why Not -- just before GE announced the Big Move to Boston there was a smaller notice about a new GE Division -- Current Powered by GE [strange name] currently [pun?] located in a WeWork space 745 Atlantic Ave., across from South Station

http://www.currentbyge.com/

Perhaps they want a nice captive place to show off to customers while they we wait for the "Solar Veil" on the channel

Interesting. Probably some connection to that.

From the Lynnport/Former GE redevelopment perspective the challenge will be to phase in a desirable/affordable residential apartment area in between the still active GE Riverworks Facilities, the Lynnway and the riverfront/waterfront.

I don't know if GE still has a financial interest in the success of the Lynnport development, but it would be mutually beneficial if they spent a bit of effort making their side of the tracks visually appealing to current and new neighbors and also as an attractive place to showcase technologies to various customers as the closest large industrial facility to their new headquarters.

I could certainly see them helicoptering in some big new clients after a presentation at the headquarters they could fly them up to the Riverworks helipad and give them a demo and tour.

Does GE still own the Everett Land (Near Malden River)?

A property search looks like BERKELEY GREEN II LLC is the owner of that parcel(s) and it looks like some redevelopment is in the works there based on some mention in the Mystic Watershed notes about getting public waterfront access.

Street address is listed as 0 Tremont St or just Tremont St, but it appears the only access to the parcel is from "Air Force Rd"... another street in need of renaming.

"Pending Financing"

Unfortunately, financing seems to be the primary challenge to Lynn developments. Quite a few have been permitted over the years. But I think one big one is all Lynn needs to turn itself around. Lynn has everything to be hot except momentum.

"Pending Financing"

Unfortunately, financing seems to be the primary challenge to Lynn developments. Quite a few have been permitted over the years. But I think one big one is all Lynn needs to turn itself around. Lynn has everything to be hot except momentum.

I think Lynn's biggest issue is that it has subpar access to both transit and highways. Most places with gentrification and lots of development are either have rapid transit or are near a highway.

BXFQ1AW.jpg

from March http://www.itemlive.com/news/developer-gears-up-on-the-lynnway/

Oh no, 128 reference. In b4 Whigh's return with ultra-hi-res pics & history of every company that has office park on 128.

I think Lynn's biggest issue is that it has subpar access to both transit and highways. Most places with gentrification and lots of development are either have rapid transit or are near a highway.

Transit wise you have a commuter rail station here which will be opened to non-employees for easy access to North Station and points along that line. With Revere bucking for a CR station across from Wonderland that would give you some potential for transfers to the Blue Line without waiting around another 30 years for BLX. Either way, two CR stations (with hopefully more frequent service) are plenty of transit to support more development.

For better highway access you need to do two things: 1) build a new road along the edge of the GE Riverworks from Rt 107 over to 1A. 2) finally build the Rt 1 to Rt 107 connector (rt 60 bypass) that you see the very old unfinished ramp for on Rt 1.

Back