Manchester Infill & Small Developments

Great to hear about the trail—I still haven’t checked it out personally, though the Hands Across the Merrimack bridge is usually full of people lately. Goffstown’s village is really nice, and I think it feels much farther away from downtown Manchester than the few miles it actually is (it makes me think of the small villages around Monadnock). Once the rail is complete, especially with scenic overlooks and other amenities like you mentioned, it will be a great asset. I believe a lot of people who live around Goffstown village commute into Manchester, so hopefully some will choose the rail trail in good weather. Obviously, a regional transit system that offered at least hourly commuter bus service between places like Goffstown, Bedford, Londonderry and other surrounding towns into downtown would help in getting people to commute into town without a car.

I’m glad the Bedford Mall is being redeveloped, though I would have preferred something a bit denser—still building up to the road as they’re doing is an improvement over the old mall. That said, there is so much underused land along the older strip corridors in Manchester and the suburbs that should be redeveloped before new malls, outlet centers or “power centers” are built on open space.

The way Granite Square (along with the McGregor Street area) is zoned seems like a huge oversight to me. Like you said, the city wants to expand the downtown to the West Side area there (as several planning studies have recommended) and Granite Street has been spruced up quite a bit, and while I wish it hadn’t been widened, I agree that the street itself is quite nice now. It’s just entirely lacking anything to make people want to walk along it—on both sides of the river really. In the 1970s and 80s, the city demolished the great, urban buildings that made Granite Square a sort of downtown for the West Side, while also widening and realigning Granite Street between the river and Elm Street, in the process removing at least a dozen buildings and transforming the street from an urban gateway to more of a commuter-focused one. As you drive or walk up Granite Street from the river now, it’s really an approach to downtown rather than a part of it. This could easily change given the great visibility of land along the street on either side of the river. It just needs to be zoned properly and developers given the proper incentives to add urban-appropriate projects there. What is strange to me is that all the “B-1 Neighborhood Business” districts, which are a great idea, were added in the last few years. I think Granite Square should be zoned CBD (same as downtown), but why it wasn’t included in the new B-1 districts instead of keeping it zoned for largely suburban use is beyond me.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure zoning is ultimately determined by the mayor and aldermen. I’m not sure how much the planning department has pushed for better, more urban zoning, but the 2009 Master Plan is basically all good stuff. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any part of it that has been implemented by the BMA. I wonder if giving the planning department greater control—maybe just giving the BMA more of an up-or-down vote, or giving the Master Plan, once approved by the BMA, the force of law—would help? Of course, it was more powerful planning agencies 40 years ago that gave us many of the problems we’re now trying to solve.

I know I have been slacking on writing this piece, but form-based codes actually do that--give a regulating plan (distilled from community visioning and input in a larger comprehensive plan) the force of law. Also, in Maine at least, the comp plans sort of have the force of law because any regulations adopted pursuant to them must be consistent with them. So, while admitting there is a lot of wiggle room around the word "consistent" the plans themselves provide the context for regulations, and are in a way legally binding once removed, if that makes any sense. I would assume it is similar in NH, but I don't know because I don't work there. Also, I don't know if a strong mayor could have any say in zoning--which is a legislative function. Usually it is the council or its equivalent, but in reality the politics of a situation means he or she will either way have a huge persuasion effect. I think strong planning departments are precisely what is needed. True, they resulted in the blunders of urban renewal before, but something equally strong is needed to overcome those blunders. Is it likely that, knowing what we know now, strong planners would again make things worse? Probably not, every planning school in America teaches about the mistakes of top down planning in the past, but that might be just what we need to get back to square one, before urban renewal. We have put our cities in this state by top down approaches, which are inequitable but efficient, and now we are stuck wondering how to get back to basics in an equitable but extremely inefficient manner. But whereas we used to have a good state of urbanism, now we are a world leader in exemplifying how not to build places. Let's just get back to a fair starting point...people complain about urban renewal because of what it tore down....well, using old photos let's see what it was, and rebuild it. If people object to rebuilding it, can they really complain that it was torn down? Or, stated otherwise, if they complain it was torn down, can they really oppose it being rebuilt?

Patrick, living here in Manchester and driving around the city you almost get the feel that zoning was a "dirty word" until maybe 10-15 years ago. Manchester almost has the attitude similar to Houston, TX which is "it's my land I can do whatever I want with it." Someone brought up a great point that the downtown Market Basket does not reflect an urban supermarket at all, but it is located in the urban core of the city. When you drive down South Willow St. in Manchester you sense there was very little planning involved with the commerical buildings (signage, street scape, land of parking lots, ect.).
Don't get me wrong, Manchester is an up and coming city for younger people/families as it continues to grow faster than any other New England city, but it seems they rush projects thru the pipe line hoping they don't pull out.
A side note, I heard from a buddy of mine that they are in the process of billing Manchester as a destination city... a place where you would spend a weekend shopping, going out to dinner, ect. I guess there is a push to keep the bars open until 3am which I think is not a bad thing, esp. with the state motto "Live free or die" . Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Although the Market Basket is not more "urban" they did try to make it appeal to the area with a brick facade and have a "mill city" type appearance which I actually love. I know there could have been better things, but reusing much of the same building is not the end of the world. And I think there is a lot worse designs that could have been done for the market. An example is the market on valley street, which is not at all attractive.

Granite Street had to be widened as this is how much of the central business district and mills workers come in form 293. But a train would have been a better option IMO.

And I bet Granite was zoned as CBD because of places like that newish gas station. If only that piece of land (the liquor store one) is built with an urban building, that alone could change the area.

Has anyone heard anything about that Liquor store?

It is interesting, Sean, that you refer to Manchester's attitude as a property rights place, because it, along with a few others, is one of the most planned cities in New England. As a mill city, it was a city laid out, on a grid, built for the workers, and has evolved since. Boston, on the other hand, evolved from a series of cow paths around the oldest protected public space in America. I think it would be great to have a destination built in Manchester. Imagine bringing the mall downtown....Burlington has done it, with another suburban mall, and even more suburban shopping two towns away. Manchester, with three times as many people, might be able to pull it off with the right mix of ingredients.

It is interesting, Sean, that you refer to Manchester's attitude as a property rights place, because it, along with a few others, is one of the most planned cities in New England. As a mill city, it was a city laid out, on a grid, built for the workers, and has evolved since. Boston, on the other hand, evolved from a series of cow paths around the oldest protected public space in America. I think it would be great to have a destination built in Manchester. Imagine bringing the mall downtown....Burlington has done it, with another suburban mall, and even more suburban shopping two towns away. Manchester, with three times as many people, might be able to pull it off with the right mix of ingredients.

This is a great point. Manchester was planned in a way that even other mill cities like Lowell weren't at all. A single entity owned the land and nearly the entire manufacturing complex, and laid out the entire city center except for a few existing roads that remained. It's slightly less obvious since urban renewal, but still fairly clear, too, that the Amoskeag Corporation maintained strict design guidelines for all the mill buildings, rowhouses and so on. In fact, the uniquely uniform landscape was called the most harmonious urban space in America by Ada Louise Huxtable, architecture critic for the New York Times, in a plea to spare the Millyard before demolition and canal infill took place.

Even with much of the Millyard gone, that uniqueness, harmony and stern beauty is something Manchester has only recently begun to notice and I think is still waiting to be harnessed fully. The good thing there is how much embodied potential the city has. Similarly, I think Manchester can make much more of its physical surroundings--the river right in town, the mountains and lakes just outside the city, not to mention better transit connections to Boston, Concord and Nashua.

I also think the property rights segment, while real, is simply a vocal minority of residents, and probably more so residents of neighboring towns or elsewhere in the state. In cities, far more than in the suburbs or country, the use and quality of properties around yours has a huge impact on your quality-of-life and property value. I believe that most residents of Manchester would probably favor form-based design like Patrick mentioned. In a sense, prescribing certain physical and formal design guidelines while allowing greater freedom of use is much more libertarian and certainly draws more on historical precedence than the current mess. The popular support for neighborhood center zoning, recent civic and infrastructure improvements in the city, and the praise of the downtown rehabilitation all indicate that local residents understand the importance of strong architecture and good urban design.

Finally, to sort of bring in the conversation about the separation of the river, Millyard and Elm Street from the Portsmouth Photos thread, I think the downtown mall idea could be great in Manchester, especially in a particular spot. The Hampshire Plaza (it might be called something like Brady-Sullivan Plaza now, but I don't know of anyone who calls it that) mall is the single-story base to the 20-story, black-and-glass tower on Elm Street. The mall replaced an old Victorian building that would have been a much better counterpoint to the tower, but either way the mall failed and is now used largely as student housing for NHIA. Because of the slope toward the river, the rear of the mall is above two levels of parking but at street level along Elm.

Whether the eventual train station ends up at Granite Street or in the Bedford Street parking lot, Spring Street runs along the side of the mall between Elm and Commercial and basically to Arms Park and the river. It's the only cross-street along Elm with a view through the Millyard to the river. If the train station is built in the Bedford St lot, Spring Street will become a major gateway. Either way, it has huge potential as a connector between Millyard, river and Elm, but right now it's basically loading docks, parking garages and surface parking.

The Hampshire Plaza mall could be demolished (or significantly renovated and built-up) so that there are multiple stories along Elm and storefronts along Spring with parking concealed in the interior. The superblock there, especially if additional stories are built, is plenty big for an anchor store or two along with traditional mall stores in an urban setting.

I'm really glad to hear from Sean that the city is trying to make itself a destination--it needs to attract more visitors and not just on event/game nights, as well as recent graduates, young families and professionals to live downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. To do this, Manchester needs to stop competing so much with its suburbs--Bedford, Hooksett and Londonderry will always have more and cheaper open land for strip malls--and promote itself and act like the urban city it is.

The Hampshire Plaza mall could be demolished (or significantly renovated and built-up) so that there are multiple stories along Elm and storefronts along Spring with parking concealed in the interior. The superblock there, especially if additional stories are built, is plenty big for an anchor store or two along with traditional mall stores in an urban setting.

I'm really glad to hear from Sean that the city is trying to make itself a destination--it needs to attract more visitors and not just on event/game nights, as well as recent graduates, young families and professionals to live downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. To do this, Manchester needs to stop competing so much with its suburbs--Bedford, Hooksett and Londonderry will always have more and cheaper open land for strip malls--and promote itself and act like the urban city it is.

Manchester competes against local suburbs? In what way, I am curious, I am asking, not a rhetorical question. Manchester has little in terms of inner city housing for middle class to high class. This is an important thing to address. And some of it is being done with the Residence at Manchester, the Pembroke Building, The Riverside Condos and possible apartments in 2012 (which should be good) and possible loft apartments in the Mill West. But it still lacks any large upper scale residential population. There needs to be some neighborhoods with some nice urban housing, some more large apartment buildings or towers. This in tern will attract some more businesses to the area to serve these people. Enough is being built on the outskirts of the city in relation to apartments and condos.

We have talked about that mall before, the big issue is the lack of anchor stores there. There needs to be a few anchor stores and more stores in general. Like you said, another floor would be ideal.

Lastly, someone spoke of Red Oak Apartments' conceptual plans for the second street neighborhood? Anyone have any info on this, pictures? And was it shot down by the city or what? Negative responses? Why so?

Manchester competes against local suburbs? In what way, I am curious, I am asking, not a rhetorical question. Manchester has little in terms of inner city housing for middle class to high class. This is an important thing to address. And some of it is being done with the Residence at Manchester, the Pembroke Building, The Riverside Condos and possible apartments in 2012 (which should be good) and possible loft apartments in the Mill West. But it still lacks any large upper scale residential population. There needs to be some neighborhoods with some nice urban housing, some more large apartment buildings or towers. This in tern will attract some more businesses to the area to serve these people. Enough is being built on the outskirts of the city in relation to apartments and condos.

We have talked about that mall before, the big issue is the lack of anchor stores there. There needs to be a few anchor stores and more stores in general. Like you said, another floor would be ideal.

Lastly, someone spoke of Red Oak Apartments' conceptual plans for the second street neighborhood? Anyone have any info on this, pictures? And was it shot down by the city or what? Negative responses? Why so?

When cities compete with each other, usually it is for commercial tax base, which is usually supposed to be a better fiscal investment than residential tax base (but this is often a myth, because state level aid is given in some states, like Maine, when population increases, even if the schools are more than able to accommodate the increase). So, some commentators have said this results in what is known as a 'race to the bottom' in that each town, desperate for tax dollars, will deregulate themselves to the point where just about anything, any type of development, will be acceptable. This causes standardless cities that look accordingly. So, in context, if a Manchester suburb offered cheap land, relaxed zoning, and lots of parking, downtown Manchester might offer relaxed zoning, too, to compete, and allow suburban parking ratios and parking patterns (like big parking lots in front of a store), etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is what was meant by competing with the suburbs.

I think that mall needs to be wiped off the face of Elm. One side, I believe it is the east side of Elm, looks tremendous. The other side, with the highrises, looks not too appealing, which is unfortunate from a continuity perspective because behind it are all the very urban mill buildings. With a downtown mall, infill connecting the various urban nodes together, and an emphasis on the river's edge and riverwalk, Manchester has potential to become a destination for sure.

Anyone know what's up with the potential suburban style liquor store on Granite St? I think there was some meeting about it early this month or late last. Anyone attend that?

And as an FYI, that Chili Competition is going on this in two weekends Oct. 1st and 2nd. and the prior Fri. Then Oct. Second is the Reptile show as well for anyone who may be interested. I have been to both and both are good. Entry for both of them is I think $7 unless it has changed. (Chili may have been $8.)

Edit: The New England Reptile Expo is going to be Oct. 9th, not on the weekend of the 1st. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's up with the potential suburban style liquor store on Granite St? I think there was some meeting about it early this month or late last. Anyone attend that?

There was an article in the print edition of the UL after that meeting. I keep meaning to scan it and keep forgetting. Basically, attendance was fairly low and Alderman Phil Greazzo, who represents the area and is opposed to the liquor store, was a little disappointed with the turnout. I hope he keeps on it, though... a stand-alone liquor store here would be a terrible waste of land.

Well, since the only person who really seems to get access to the print is in Cambridge, scan it in once you can.

Well, since the only person who really seems to get access to the print is in Cambridge, scan it in once you can.

Haha. My dad lets the newspapers stack up pretty high before the recycling is taken out, so I sift through when I'm home. I've got a couple other stories that I want to scan... the problem is I tend to think of it when I'm at work, and they're all in a drawer at home.

As a side note, especially because the UL website is pretty bad, I'd really like to see the Hippo cover more development news. The Hippo is great, and generally I like that they've expanded coverage to Concord and Nashua since the area should really function more as a region in my mind, but I think the local news isn't as good as some of the weeklies in Portland, for instance.

Why is the Alderman Phil Greazzo against the liquor store? Is it for the same reasons we are here, or is taking the superficial side where "alcohol is bad?"

Why is the Alderman Phil Greazzo against the liquor store? Is it for the same reasons we are here, or is taking the superficial side where "alcohol is bad?"

I'm going to try to remember to scan the article tonight. I believe his opposition has more to do with it being a poor use of land, and believing that his constituents generally oppose it than any broader opposition to liquor. The West Side had a liquor store for a long time, and it should have one again--the state liquor stores are especially clean and well-run, and avoid the worst stereotypes, and I think most people in the city and state don't oppose alcohol--it just shouldn't be a stand-alone, suburban-style store. I think we're all in agreement there, and I believe Alderman Greazzo is, too, but I'm not positive.

It sounds like the next phase of the Piscataquog Trail is moving ahead, and the old wooden railroad trestle over the river between the West Side and Pinardville will be replaced with a new, metal structure to connect with the Goffstown Trail:

The City of Manchester recently received NHDOT approval of the Engineering Study compliled by Hoyle, Tanner & Associates, Inc. The Engineering Study's intent is to evaluate existing conditions and project goals, and to recommend a solution which best accomplishes the project goals. The recommended option to complete Phase IV of the Piscataquog Trail was to replace the timber trestle bridge with a new clear-span metal truss bike/ped bridge, and continue a paved trail to the connection with Agnes Streeet at the Piscataquog River Apartments. A gravel base will be placed to the Goffstown town line to match the surface of the Goffstown Rail Trail.

Well, I hope you are right about the alderman, because I agree, a state run liquor store is not bad. And I think that the "downtown area" should include more variety in its stores, and the city needs to do its part to attract more variety. Right now it is barber, salons, restaurants, pizza, and art. And, the Mill yard needs more diversity. A liquor store, although not super unique, is a start.

But you go to NYC or Boston, and even some other smaller cities and towns, and there are many cool stores and restaurants all over the place, Manchester, although offers a lot, has little in terms of awesomeness. It does have its few hidden jems (Red arrow, ally cat pizza, there is a good authentic mexican restaurant I hope to go to, and probably others that I do not know about) But it still needs more, and not always hidden.

The bike path, yeah, I knew they were going to in 2012, hope they actually get it done before the winter. I'm telling you, once that is done, it will be a big thing for both Goffstown and Manch. So many people use the Manchester trail, and I did see a number of people in Goffstown. Although the GRT is not paved, and people are attracted to paved, it is maintained well, and the bad bridges and bad parts are being fixed up nicely. it is a work in progress that will only become more priority once it connect with Manchester. It will also get more people out of their cars and traveling further. Another move in the right direction.

One thing that the path lacks though, is bike racks. I didn't see any along there. And benches were scarce, both manch and goffstown side.

Here's a scan of the UL article from August about the proposed Riverwalk condos:

AR-708169977.jpg

307402_254919311216552_193095777398906_688979_2072250111_n.jpg

There has been talk about arms park, but here is an article I found about UNHM's possible expansion in the future.

http://www.nhbr.com/businesseducation/666058-272/story.html

I went here for Freshman year, it is a nice school. That parking lot though behind the school kills me. It is not entirely used for school parking and is often not full.

I think any expansion from UNHM would be beneficial to the city as many colleges give so much back to the cities they are located in.

It is interesting how the average student age is dropping. Being a cheaper alternative to Durham, I bet the economy and rising cost of school plays into this very much so.

cool rendering for the condos. Not perfect, but impressive and positive density, for sure. And near the river, which is scenic and should attract higher rents.

Rapid+Transit.jpg

Was just looking into BRT, and was wondering if it is a cheaper alternative to street cars. As a street car would require a track and track maintenance and I am assuming a car would cost more than a bus.

However these buses have predefined easy to see stops and runs and if they are brightly colored or whatever, would get more usage than regular bus routes as I am a firm believer that buses do not get used as they are not as defined and easy to use as street cars or subways/light rail. You need to first learn how the bus works to feel comfortable using it.

As it is, an improved bus (possibly painted brighter color so people notice them,) improved routes obviously, and better designated stops with seats and overhangs and proper signage, maps, and fares listed would definitely improve ridership now that I think about it. If the buses were bright red, people would look at them for sure.

Apartments:
And those condos/apartments, yes, are very nice and I am glad to see a design that incorporates the riverwalk with improvement. It looks as if that concept has parking underneath the apartments? If so, that is GREAT! Proper use of land. I think this concept drawing is nice and I could see it working, being practical, like you said attracting higher wealth tenants, and being good for the area. One thing Manchester lacks is the mixed wealth. They have very little medium to high wealth residents in the center and downtown area. Once you leave downtown it is very low wealth which must not be good for the local economy.

Last edited:

Back