Manchester Infill & Small Developments

There has been talk about arms park, but here is an article I found about UNHM's possible expansion in the future.

http://www.nhbr.com/businesseducation/666058-272/story.html

I went here for Freshman year, it is a nice school. That parking lot though behind the school kills me. It is not entirely used for school parking and is often not full.

I think any expansion from UNHM would be beneficial to the city as many colleges give so much back to the cities they are located in.

It is interesting how the average student age is dropping. Being a cheaper alternative to Durham, I bet the economy and rising cost of school plays into this very much so.

Expanding UNH Manchester would be great for the school and the city, but as with so many other things, I don't expect to see anything happen until there's a new legislature since the current one slashed funding to UNH.

As you probably know, that parking lot is actually Arms Park, and while the hardscape works well for certain fairs and festivals, especially the fireworks, it really should be redeveloped as a real park--with some hardscape. Since it's so huge, it would make a lot of sense for UNH to develop part of it, especially if they put some park- and river-facing retail on the ground level for restaurants and such and maybe even put in some housing, or get a private developer to build some housing there as well.

Arms Park could be a great place, but it needs uses other than offices nearby. Milly's and Cotton bring some people down for dinner and drinks after the work crowd leaves, but that's still not many people. Making UNH a stronger presence and developing some additional retail and housing would really improve the area. The City should be pushing this.

OK, this comment/question goes beyond just Manchester and NH.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111026/NEWS15/710269967/-1/news02

Are they really looking to build yet another Walmart? Will the close the old S. Willow Walmart and keep the super center open?

There is already a Walmart in Salem, Nashua, Derry, Hooksett, and Bedford not to mention the one on South Willow. Are they for real?

I think their idea is to close the one on South Willow, and they wanted to build one on Gold Street, which the neighborhood has vehemently opposed. This would go on a site right by the rail trail, possibly the old New England Grocers Association building, but I'm not positive of that. I believe the ZBA approved some variances, which neighbors are challenging in court, but again I can't remember the details. It sounds like they're simply suggesting that Wal-Mart abandon that site for the much more accessible (from South Willow) spot of the recently closed Lowe's on Huse Road. Interestingly, the current Wal-Mart is where an old HQ hardware store used to be.

It's easy to write off the whole South Willow area as just a giant sprawling mess, which the street itself largely is, but the opposition to the Wal-Mart is a good reminder that there are still reasonably dense suburban neighborhoods all around the area. Manchester (and the surrounding towns) is quickly running out of developable open land--it's time for the city to start acting like one and direct developers to existing properties and more sustainable, urban growth.

Last edited:
it's time for the city to start acting like one and direct developers to existing properties and more sustainable, urban growth.

Are you forgetting that they still have that lovely large piece of land to the north west that currently is all forest? They might as well use that before they begin to develop and revitalize some of the abandoned and run down properties and buildings. (sarcasm)

But yes, they should use the Lowe's vs. build a new building (as I assume they are planning) Better use of resources, money, time, and a million other things.

Good news and bad news.

The Hacket hill business park nearly dead?

FLMike or anyone who gets the Union Leader fill us in.

I am glad that this may not ever be built, preserving the land as it should be. However the lack of development is not a good sign. But hopefully without this, if business really wants to come to NH they will find better locations than a suppose to be conservation wetland and walking paths for the area.

Lastly, I doubt the reason for not building this is the preservation of untouched land, but rather the economy and lack of funding, which is a bad thing, but it ends up doing good. The biggest concern is that it will be developed in the future.

I would love to see that article in print to get more info on specifics.

Good news and bad news.

The Hacket hill business park nearly dead?

FLMike or anyone who gets the Union Leader fill us in.

I am glad that this may not ever be built, preserving the land as it should be. However the lack of development is not a good sign. But hopefully without this, if business really wants to come to NH they will find better locations than a suppose to be conservation wetland and walking paths for the area.

Lastly, I doubt the reason for not building this is the preservation of untouched land, but rather the economy and lack of funding, which is a bad thing, but it ends up doing good. The biggest concern is that it will be developed in the future.

I would love to see that article in print to get more info on specifics.

Thanks for finding this. I'll be in Manchester this weekend, so I'll grab my dad's copy of today's paper and see what the article says.

The blog, Manchester Oblique--which is very good for anyone who hasn't checked it out--actually recently documented the Hacket Hill area, its history and current development plans.

You're right that the lack of development is bad news for the city in the near-term, but I hope in the longer-term (hopefully not too long) R&D and other office development not happening at Hacket Hill will mean it is more likely to occur in appropriate areas like the Rivers Edge or West Side near CMC. Both of those areas have seen recent redevelopment and re-urbanization of key sites, have been targeted for and identified as good sites for that sort of facility, and would bring more people and create real neighborhoods near downtown.

My fear, like you said, is that the Hacket Hill land has already been sold (not sure--this article could be about the whole sale not going through), and will be held and developed in the future.

Last edited:
Not much info, but this snippet from the Zoning Board meeting agenda next week (11/10) sounds promising:

Case #132-ZO-2011
Ronald Decola (Agent) proposes to convert existing commercial mill building to 110 unit residential use and seeks a variance from Section(s) 8.04 Minimum Lot Area, District AMX of the Zoning Ordinance, as per plans submitted through October 26, 2011 at 300 Bedford Street.

The Mill West apartments on McGregor Street will be great and a good thing for that neighborhood and downtown, but getting apartments or condos in the actual Millyard will be huge in turning the area into more than a beautiful 9-5 office park. 300 Bedford Street is the building commonly known as Tower Mill, which sits at the base of Market Street, already one of the nicest downtown. This could be huge for the area if it's as promising as I'm hoping.

Last edited:
300 Bedford Street is a really nice building. And it is ahrd to turn these mills into low income residential areas, so this is good on many points.

I think the first residential in the actual mill building area with the exception of the housing which isn't truly in the mill area. But those are lower income.

And if these are loft style condos/apartments, they could attract young wealth to not only Manchester, but the mill area, and hopefully pushing for redevelopment of the streets leading down to the river form Elm and as I would like to see, a completed river walk attracting new business to the scenic foot oriented trail along the mills.

I have not heard much about Mill West recently, nor the proposed liquor store.

Hacket Hill falling has its pluses even though it is a bad sign (waiting to read the article) but this news is better than any office development in a wetland area.

And on another note, does anyone else at least read this thread other than FLM and I? We not even from Manch, (at least I went to school there and live near, and FLMike use to live there, but hardly does anyone else chime in except for the die hard Portland crew just checking in.

I would love to hear actual thought regarding some of the topics, and new issues from actual residents. Other towns in NH have less population, so I don't expect people to talk as much about them, but there has to be more than two people with interest. Or maybe not...

300 Bedford Street is a really nice building. And it is ahrd to turn these mills into low income residential areas, so this is good on many points.

I think the first residential in the actual mill building area with the exception of the housing which isn't truly in the mill area. But those are lower income.

And if these are loft style condos/apartments, they could attract young wealth to not only Manchester, but the mill area, and hopefully pushing for redevelopment of the streets leading down to the river form Elm and as I would like to see, a completed river walk attracting new business to the scenic foot oriented trail along the mills.

I have not heard much about Mill West recently, nor the proposed liquor store.

Hacket Hill falling has its pluses even though it is a bad sign (waiting to read the article) but this news is better than any office development in a wetland area.

And on another note, does anyone else at least read this thread other than FLM and I? We not even from Manch, (at least I went to school there and live near, and FLMike use to live there, but hardly does anyone else chime in except for the die hard Portland crew just checking in.

I would love to hear actual thought regarding some of the topics, and new issues from actual residents. Other towns in NH have less population, so I don't expect people to talk as much about them, but there has to be more than two people with interest. Or maybe not...

I'll scan and post that article soon--it's not entirely clear what happened though. I think there must have been earlier articles, but basically it sounds like the developer is backing out.

Yes, Tower Mill is beautiful, and I agree that they will likely be higher-end condos/apartments. What I'd love to see, and what I'm expecting, is that it will be what I would consider moderately priced housing targeted at young professionals. Manchester has a decent amount of pretty far high-end apartments (Residences at Elm & Bridge, Wall St Tower) though it could always use more, and there are too many low-rent apartments owned by absentee landlords. What is really missing is good housing that is affordable (not low-rent) and appealing to young professionals looking for an urban lifestyle. More of the old rowhouses, which are very beautiful, between the Millyard and downtown could be targeted to the same market.

And I hope others are reading--I'd love to see more input, especially from actual Manchester residents, but also those from the rest of New England with thoughts and ideas for Manchester. Development has been slow lately and the city leadership hasn't been promoting much in terms of overall vision, so I guess the quiet here isn't surprising.

What is really missing is good housing that is affordable (not low-rent) and appealing to young professionals looking for an urban lifestyle. More of the old rowhouses, which are very beautiful, between the Millyard and downtown could be targeted to the same market.

I am surprised, but it looks as if many if not all of these are considered low-income rental apartments. very few of those houses between Elm and the Mills are a bit more high-end, but I think most have limits on your income before you can rent.

And the city whenever they acquire land or old house to redevelop, they say it must be geared towards "affordable housing." Which in my opinion and observation mean, low income residents. Which the city has more than enough of. The city could use some more high-end, but lacks like you stated, the mid range priced apartments, condos, and residence in the inner part of the city. Hopefully this will be a good residence at both these mills, and hopefully not the last, but if done properly, will definitely be a call for further enhancement and growth of the mill area rather than focusing on Elm only with little planned connection to the mill and river, which in my opinion could define Manchester and be a treasure for attracting new residence, businesses, and an improvement for those living there

The Manchester Airport Access Road, officially Raymond Wieczorek Drive, was dedicated and opened yesterday. This has been a long time coming, and is a good thing for the airport, Greater Manchester and the areas of Bedford, Manchester, Londonderry and Merrimack right around the road, which will almost surely see new growth as a result. I know for sure that Bedford is hoping to develop the area more densely and with TOD in mind. Now it's time to get the commuter rail connected, which will have a station at the Bedford/Merrimack side with a shuttle running to the airport, and will provide even more economic development to that area and the region as a whole.

Here's the UL write-up:

AR-711119985.jpg

Airport access road dedicated
By DENIS PAISTE

MANCHESTER — State and federal officials celebrated the opening of the new Manchester-Boston Regional Airport access road with its dedication Thursday as Raymond Wieczorek Drive.

“This new road provides a critical link to one of the major economic engines for the region and the state — the Manchester-Boston Airport,” Gov. John Lynch said.

“Finally motorists can easily and quickly access the airport without having to wind their way down Brown Avenue, something which I have done for close to 35 years,” Lynch said.

“Ray Wieczorek has dedicated his life to serving the people of the city of Manchester, the surrounding area and the people of the state of New Hampshire,” the governor said. “I have had the real honor and pleasure of working with Ray Wieczorek during these last several years. He is someone who is open-minded, independent-thinking and so committed to serving the people of New Hampshire.

“I'm proud to be able to call Ray Wieczorek a friend of mine,” Lynch said. “Ray, thank you for all that you have done for all of us.”

He added: “I want to thank the Department of Transportation and all of the contractors who worked on this road to get it done ahead of schedule and under budget,” Lynch said. “It is going to provide economic development and so many additional jobs for our great state of New Hampshire. “

Airport access road

Twenty years in the making, the new road connects the F.E. Everett Turnpike to the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport across the river. The project includes two interchanges, two roundabouts, seven bridges, a multi-use path, and related road work. It officially opens Friday.

More than 200 attended the event.

State Sen. David Boutin, R-Hooksett, said, “For over 40 years, Ray has served our country, state and his beloved community with honor and distinction.”

“So it is fitting today that we honor and celebrate his many civic contributions that have made our state better today and for future generations by naming this road Raymond Wieczorek Drive,” Boutin said.

“He had a big vision for the city of Manchester and for the region,” Boutin said. “And that vision led to the revitalization of the Millyard.

“It's also led to the Verizon (Wireless) Arena and the offshoot of that is a new and rejuvenated downtown where we actually have people walking the streets at night.

“What a remarkable thing,” he said.

Family credited

Wieczorek paid tribute to his family, particularly his late wife, Susan.

“Thank you for supporting me and always letting me know that my work, while at times very difficult, was well worth the effort,” he said, reading from a plaque he gave to her bearing a key to the city,

Former Manchester mayor and U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta, R-N.H., said, “It's been a real pleasure to see this project come to fruition. So many people here have had so much to do with this project,” he said.

“It's not just local city officials, but the state of New Hampshire, governors, Executive Council, Legislature, as well as our Department of Transportation, working corroboratively to make sure that this happens,” Guinta said.

The use of ARRA (Recovery Act) funds allowed the New Hampshire Department of Transportation to accelerate the completion of the project by two years.

Federal Highway Administration N.H. Division Director Patrick Bauer, said, “We are very proud to be part of this new roadway project, with over $117 million in regular federal aid funds used in the project. In addition, over $15 million in Recovery Act funds were authorized for the project.”

$175 million total cost

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, “The project, which will create a new, two-mile highway, will provide access to 1,000 acres of prime industrial and commercial land for economic development in Londonderry, New Hampshire. The total cost of the project is estimated at $175 million, of which $15 million is ARRA-funded. According to NHDOT, the project has employed over 200 people and created 26 full-time jobs.

New Hampshire Democratic Party issued a statement Thursday critical of Guinta for opposing the Recovery Act.

“That these politicians who oppose and spread mistruths about the Recovery Act are now heralding the infrastructure and jobs that are a result of its funding shows once again that they will say or do anything to get elected,” said Harrell Kirstein, press secretary for the New Hampshire Democratic Party.

NASCAR fans, too

Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas, who was re-elected to a second term Tuesday, said Wieczorek responds quickly to constituents and “he truly gives them 100 percent to fix their problem.”

Gatsas, as well as Guinta, said the Manchester airport should be renamed the Manchester-Boston International Airport.

“We want to make sure that we can bring international flights,” Guinta said.

“That's probably the most important project that we can ask our delegation to work on for the entire state of New Hampshire,” Gatsas said.

New Hampshire Motor Speedway Executive Vice President and General Manager Jerry Gappens, who attended the event, said the new road will benefit both fans and race crews who use the airport.

“We got fans in for our NASCAR weekends from all 50 states and four foreign countries this year,” Gappens said.

“I would estimate 10 percent of our fan base uses Manchester-Boston Regional Airport,” he said.

The new front door

The new road is “an essential component to the continued success and economic vibrancy of this region and of the state,” Airport Director Mark Brewer said.

“Eighty-four percent of our customers will be coming down this road,” he said. “This truly is going to become the new front door to the airport.”

Thursday morning, the Executive Council approved accepting a $3.34 million grant from the Federal Aviation Administration for a solar panel installation on top of the airport parking garage.

The project will generate about 650,000 kilowatt hours of electricity a year.

Robin Comstock, president and CEO of the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, said, “This is just simply said an excellent example of a private-public sector partnership of community working cooperatively together to build a better today with a brighter tomorrow.”

Pearl Harbor survivors

The blessing was given by the Rev. Paul Montminy of St. Catherine of Siena Church.

Pearl Harbor survivors, for whom the bridge crossing the Merrimack as part of the access road is being named the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge, were honored.

Merrimack High School Marching Band played the “National Emblem March,” and Merrimack High School choir sang “America the Beautiful” and “The Star Spangled Banner.” Later, five of the students fainted.

Well, I already found myself using the bridge on two separate occasions. It is useful I guess.

Commuter rail... they can't even secure funding to complete a highway project already half way into it.

But while we are on the highway click here.

Reading the Mancunian's responses on Good Good Manchester is interesting. Comparing the "what could make Manchester better?" part. I seem to read the same things over and over.

Reading the Mancunian's responses on Good Good Manchester is interesting. Comparing the "what could make Manchester better?" part. I seem to read the same things over and over.

I've thought the exact same thing. What's heartening is seeing that there's some consensus and at least quite a few engaged citizens who want the same things for the city, many of which we've discussed at length here. Now, they just need to get the city leaders to hear them.

I read a few years back that the City of Manchester wanted to label itself a "Destination City." This would include weekend packages for daytrippers to stay overnight in the downtown hotels. The article also mentioned how bar times would be extended to 3am on Friday and Saturdays. Also, I know former Mayors have had a problem with the nickname "Manchvegas", although with some of the characters I see roaming around downtown, sometimes I feel like this is Sin City. I haven't heard any news about this. Manchester has a ton of potential with all the vacant lots surrounding the Elm Street/downtown area. Plus the bars and restaurants in downtown are crowded during the later part of the week. Has anyone else heard anything regarding this?

I have heard the thing about wanting it to be more of a destination city. However, it is hard to do with little to distinguish between other cities. I think the city has much work to do before it can consider being a destination city. Primarily on attracting new varieties of business, expanding the downtown area, and general beautification all around the city, but focusing on the mill and downtown areas.

This would apply to any city, but it reminds me of Manchester, specifically Franklin St. where FLMike has stated before it is nicer due to the foliage there making it softer (if only that fairpoint building was redeveloped to look nicer.) But this street here is interesting because of the large parking lot, however in street view, it doesn't look bad due to the nice sidewalks, and trees appropriately placed. This could be done at many of the large parking lots in Manchester and other cities to make them less ugly, like along Franklin St. Market Basket parking lot along Elm could be like this possibly, I think the plan called for tree planting, but will they cut them 8 years form now when they are larger so people can still see the Market Basket building? I hope not.

I found this picture just looking for an aquarium shop there, and was amazed at how big that parking lot was. Then in Street view you don't even notice it.

Just to follow up on the earlier discussion of the apartments/condos going into Tower Mill at 300 Bedford St:

I'll have to scan the article soon, but according to the UL, the conversion to high-end housing in Tower Mill is going forward. Construction may begin toward the end of the winter. Apparently, Brady Sullivan had previously won approval to do 84 units of housing with 64,000 square feet of commercial, but decided to do entirely residential, resulting in 110 units now. They will be high-end units, with a common theatre and basketball court, it sounds like.

Ideally, I'd like to see small retail or cafe at the ground-floor where the building abuts Stark Street and the Mill Girl Statue. I think some combination of Stark and Market Streets (connecting to Hanover Street via City Hall Plaza) have the greatest potential for being an attractive, lively cross-street between Elm, the Millyard and Arms Park. So a cafe, bar or shop facing the steps at the statue would be great. Still, this project is great news for downtown Manchester. The apartments or condos (can't recall which) will mean several hundred people will be living in the Millyard, making it much less of a 9-5 area. This, in turn, will help eventually lead to more restaurants and non-office/after-hours activity in the Millyard, extending the vitality of Elm Street down to the river.

Due to unfortunate urban renewal schemes, the Bedford Street-side of the building has a fair amount of parking for residents, but the article points out that there are no parking requirements in the Millyard. The planning board chairman is quoted as saying that parking difficulty is just going to be part of living in the Millyard. That should hopefully help encourage more walking and transit use by more professionals in Manchester.

2966181572_81937c4006.jpg

Tower Mill, 300 Bedford Street at the base of Market Street - photo by Elizabeth Thomsen

From the December 2 Union Leader:

110 apartments proposed for 300 Bedford St.

MANCHESTER — Brady Sullivan Properties proposed the first full-scale residential development for the Millyard on Thursday, a potentially $14 million facelift of the mill building at 300 Bedford St.

The project would put 110 apartments within site of the Mill Lady statue on Commercial Street.

Four years ago, the city approved 84 residential units and 64,000-square-feet of commercial space for the five-story, 170-year-old mill. But Brady Sullivan never went ahead with its plans.

Company representative Ronald K. Decola said there is no demand for commercial space in Manchester.

“The demand is really for residential living space, especially quality living space,” Decola said after presenting plans to the Manchester Planning Board.

He said rentals will be two bedroom and go for $1,200 to $1,400 a month.

The development — the Lofts at Mill No. 1 — would include a billiard room, a 10 to 12-seat theater, a lounge area and a basketball court. Some units would have small balconies.

One thing they won’t have is an abundance of parking. Plans call for only 132 spaces.

“People are going to have a hard time parking, but that’s going to be the nature of living in the Millyard,” said Planning Board Chairman Michael Landry.

The city has no parking requirements for Millyard development, and Decola stressed that Millyard streets are empty at night.

Decola said construction could begin toward the end of this winter and take about a year. Brady Sullivan is also redeveloping a mill complex on the West Side into 290 apartments.

Also last night: • The Planning Board said it will take at least two weeks to decide how Dunkin’ Donuts should shield a exterior 8-by-20-foot freezer it wants to add to the Hanover Street store that is about ready to open.

Dunkin’ Donuts needs the outdoor freezer in order to provide more room for food preparation, the company said. But planners are worried about the looks.

“This is going to look like an afterthought of a brand new, great-looking building,” Landry said.

• The shopping center that includes Chuck E. Cheese plans to spend about $1.3 million to upgrade the parking lot and build a 15,100-squarefoot addition to the north side of the main building.

The owner, South Willow Property Inc., has spoken to several potential tenants for the addition, including a medical office, a restaurant and retail, said Brian Pratt, a consulting engineer working on the project.

Other changes include a walk-up ATM and parking-lot islands with sloped granite curbing and drought-resistant trees.

• Allegro MicroSystems said it plans to employ 100 additional engineers at its Perimter Road plant over the next 10 years.

Dave Donelan, director of manufacture process engineering, said the company wants to add a 2,400-squarefoot storage site at its facility in order to free up space for the engineers.

• A metal supply company said it wants to open a storage yard for recycling containers on Pepsi Road.

Robert Dahlinger Jr., chief executive at Mill Metals Supply Co., said only the containers and trucks would be at the storage yard. No recycled metals would be kept on site.

Tower Mill apartment conversion received approval (and it sounds like endorsement) from the Planning Board. Construction should begin in a few months:

Apartments OK’d for Bedford St. mill building
Close to everything:Manchester planners said the 110-unit development fits within the city’s recent master plan.

By MARK HAYWARD

New Hampshire Union Leader
December 18, 2011

MANCHESTER — City regulators approved 110 apartments for a Bedford Street mill building on Thursday, setting the groundwork for the first significant residential presence in the Millyard.

Brady Sullivan Properties received the go-ahead for 300 Bedford St., where it wants to create Lofts at Mill No. 1, which will include a billiard room, a 10- to 12-seat theater, a lounge and a basketball court.

Some units would have small balconies.

City planners said the development fits within the city’s recent master plan, which calls for self-contained, walkable neighborhoods.

“I think it’s a good fit. They get tenants who will work in the area, there’ll be less need for cars, and parking might not be an issue,” said Planning Board Chairman Mike Landry.

Ronald Decola of Brady Sullivan said his company should be acquiring the property within a week or so. Construction could start within the next two months and should take about a year, he said.

The current owner, PMC Property Group, had obtained permits several years ago to convert the office to both apartments and office space. But it had never gone forward with the project.

Also on Thursday: • The Planning Board approved a 9-foot, 6-inch tall lattice screening for a refrigerator unit outside the Dunkin’ Donuts about ready to open on Hanover Street.

Two weeks ago, planners balked about plans to use bushes to hide a refrigeration unit at the rear of the building.

The board also extended hours from the original opening time to 4 a.m. Anthony Marts, the lawyer for the developer, said the manager will be able to control the drive-through volume.

“We can adjust that if there are any complaints,” he said. He said the restaurant should open in the next couple of weeks.

• The board delayed consideration of a facelift for the South Willow Street shopping center that include Staples and Hobby Lobby. The owners have said they want to spend $1 million to upgrade the center, including the addition of 15,100 square feet of space for a new tenant.

But the owners don’t want to repave the parking lot or hire a landscape architect.

Board members leaned against the repaving but said they wanted a landscape architect to work on the project.

However, John Brady said many of the trees the city has required of Keller Street merchants have died due to road salt and snow banks.

“We have all these wonderful ideas. What happens when it (a tree) gets knocked down?” Brady asked.

• The planners approved a slight expansion at Allegro Microsystems on Perimeter Road and a truck parking and storage area on Pepsi Drive.

Back