Manchester Infill & Small Developments

Thanks. That is good to hear.

Anyone seen anything on or heard anything on Mill West Apartments. I think these are as important if not more important. Maybe I shouldn't say important, but I think Mill West will have a large impact on the area, especially if they are higher-end apartments/condos. The area (which needs work) will benefit form the residents.

I know the Common man restaurant chain was looking at one of the mill buildings to open their first Manchester location. This would be a great addition to the area.

Trader Joe's is coming to Nashua!

This is pretty peripherally building news, especially as pertains to Manchester, but I think this could bode well for a future TJ in Manchester--hopefully downtown or a nearby neighborhood.

I'm really excited about the prospect of the Manchester Food Co-op opening downtown in the coming years, but the gargantuan Market Basket is exactly the sort of supermarket that should not be built (at least unless part of a much larger, mixed-use project) in the city center. I think Trader Joe's is much more likely to go into a new mixed-use development or existing building downtown, however.

I'd still love to see the old West Side Rite-Aid plaza on McGregor Street redeveloped, and the neighborhood could really use a grocery store. I haven't heard anything about it, but I assume the Mill West apartments are still going forward, and having a few hundred new, middle-class professional residents across the street will hopefully increase the chances of that. With easy highway access, proximity to downtown and a dense, up-and-coming neighborhood nearby, I'd love to see Trader Joe's--or an Aldi (also coming to Salem) or other smaller supermarket--be part of a larger redevelopment plan there. The same is true of Rivers Edge and other areas near downtown.

Trader Joe’s coming to Nashua
Julie Hanson, Union Leader Correspondent

NASHUA — Trader Joe’s is opening its first New Hampshire location in Nashua sometime next year.

“We’re excited,” said Alison Mochizuki, spokesperson for Trader Joe’s. “We look forward to becoming part of the neighborhood.”

The privately held company announced that the Tyngsborough, Mass., store across from the Pheasant Lane Mall is moving down the road and across the border to Webster Square Plaza on Daniel Webster Highway in Nashua.

The new store will be larger than the current location and will offer wine, Mochizuki said. The Tyngsborough location does not carry beer or wine. The chain uses suppliers for goods such as dairy and bread.

Last edited:
I know the Common man restaurant chain was looking at one of the mill buildings to open their first Manchester location. This would be a great addition to the area.

I totally agree. The Common Man is a New Hampshire institution, and I'm a sucker for the classic New England fare and ambiance. They're also an incredibly socially responsible company that seems pretty engaged in the local communities. I know they've put a restaurant in at least one old mill in Claremont. Do you know which mill they're looking at? That would be great.

I've just opened LivableMHT's Urban Livability Awards to voting. It's a short, 26-question "best of"-style survey to name the most livable aspect of Manchester, as well as those that still need work. Please take a few minutes to vote if you can. There's also a link to a map showing the locations of nominees and information on many of them if you're unfamiliar with an of the categories.

logo1755291.jpg

I might move this to a new thread depending on whether I get more information.

This is some of the most exciting news I've heard for Manchester ever: Dean Kamen is proposing a rail loop for the Millyard and downtown, and hosted a meeting last night to discuss it with many of the biggest names in Manchester business and development.

From the Union Leader:
Train idea for downtown Manchester is coming down the track again

MANCHESTER — Entrepreneur Dean Kamen has resurrected his idea for a small rail system to serve the Millyard and downtown Manchester.

Two decades ago, Kamen proposed a small steam railroad that would bring visitors to and from Millyard parking lots and possibly up to Elm Street.

A meeting, the second in the past month convened by Kamen, is set for Monday night to discuss the idea.

“The starting point was the plan that was discussed 20 years ago, and clearly, if this is something we are going to move forward, we are going to want to explore changes in technology that have occurred since then,” Jay Minkarah, Manchester’s director of economic development, said in a telephone interview.

Mayor Ted Gatsas attended the initial gathering of Millyard building owners and business tenants, he said.

Kamen is best known as the technology guru behind DEKA Research and Development and his role in creating and promoting the FIRST robotics competition, but he and his partners also own buildings in the Millyard.

Kamen-inspired technologies include the first wearable insulin pump, the iBot self-balancing wheelchair, the Segway Human Transporter and the Luke robotic arm.

Most recently, Kamen and partners spent $10 million renovating the former Pandora building. The Pandora is the seventh building Kamen has brought to life in the Manchester Millyard.

Arthur Sullivan, a principal in Brady Sullivan Properties, said, “It’d be a nice novelty for the city. I could see people coming in to the city wanting to ride the train. It also serves the purpose of moving people around in the Millyard.’’

Brady Sullivan is developing another Millyard building, 300 Bedford Street, for residential use. “I think residential is going to be the next wave downtown. It would be a nice amenity,” Sullivan said of the train. “You could jump on the little train; it would bring you up to Elm Street and have dinner and cocktails. I see it as being a good success.”

Other Millyard property owners and tenants include Anagnost Properties (33 S. Commercial St.), the University of New Hampshire-Manchester and the New Hampshire Fisher Cats minor league baseball team at Northeast Delta Dental stadium.

Neville Pereira, co-owner of Ignite Bar and Grille and Hooked seafood restaurant off Hanover Street, said he is working with Kamen on the idea. “It will be a real track with a real train, very similar to what you see at DisneyWorld,” Pereira said.

A potential loop could include the Millyard from Dow Street to the baseball stadium, running along Commercial and either Chestnut or Elm streets, with crossovers at Granite Street on the south end and possibly Dow Street on the north end.

The project could involve up to three miles of track that could run down the middle of the street on any paved surface.

“This is really very preliminary,” Minkarah said. “It’s in the discussion phase. There are no cost estimates, there is no proposed route, really nothing hard and fast at this point.

“Right now, this is a conversation among some property owners,” he said.

As originally envisioned, small trains would have a 19th-century vintage look.

Besides the mayor, the Dec. 19 meeting was attended by Sullivan, Anagnost, Ben Gamache, Steven Singer and Stephen Talarico.

“The response was exceptionally positive,’’ Pereira said.

“We are now having the second meeting to see logistically if this can actually happen.

“It was a good idea 20 years ago, but it’s an even better idea now, given the problems of traffic flow and parking in the downtown area,” Pereira said.

AR-701159987.jpg
Entrepreneur Dean Kamen and other Manchester Millyard building owners and tenants plan to meet Monday to discuss the idea of creating a small rail system that would loop around the Millyard area, above.

Another blurb in the Union Leader about the Millyard rail loop. This one is basically informationless as it is a blurb to promote their printed material. Maybe someone who gets the Union Leader could scan the article and post it here.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120118/NEWS15/701189972

I actually just posted the full text of the article on a new thread just about the rail loop proposal. I don't have much more information yet, and it will all depend on the details, but it sounds promising to have so many influential people involved and supportive and that they are talking with some consultants at this stage.

There's not a ton of info here, so I'm not sure what it will mean, but the UL has reported on grants received by various agencies in the state that could lead to zoning changes and other initiatives to promote sustainable, mixed-use development.

Federal grants awarded for sustainable building

MANCHESTER — Federal housing and environment officials on Monday announced $4.4 million in grants to New Hampshire for building sustainable communities Monday.

•New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority is getting a $1 million Community Challenge Grant for the New Hampshire Community Planning Grant Program.

The authority will use the funds to create a statewide, multi-agency consortium to develop and facilitate a competitive grant program.

•Nashua Regional Planning Commission is getting a $3,369,648 Regional Planning Grant for the N.H. Hampshire Sustainable Communities Initiative.

The project will increase the capacity of nine regional planning commissions to create integrated, coordinated and sustainable regional plans, establish a consistent planning and policy framework, and coordinate local plans into an overall statewide strategy.

“The nine NH Regional Planning Commissions are thrilled to be able to undertake this innovative effort,” Kerrie Diers, executive director of Nashua Regional Planning Commission, said in a statement.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development New England Regional Administrator Barbara Fields and Environmental Protection Agency Regional Administrator Curt Spaulding announced the grants Monday morning.

“With this funding, HUD is proud to help New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority and the New Hampshire Regional Planning Commissions achieve new visions for communities to better plan for housing, transportation and workforce development that will improve the quality of life of residents for generations to come,” Fields said in a statement.

The grants were part of $97 million in HUD funding distributed to communities in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. HUD said it said it received more than $500 million in funding requests.

Funds may be used for amending or updating local master plans, zoning codes, and building codes to support private sector investment in mixed-use development, affordable housing and re-use of older buildings. Other local efforts may include retrofitting main streets to provide safer routes for children and seniors, or preserving affordable housing and local businesses near new transit stations.

This year, HUD’s investment of about $96 million is matched by $115 million in contributions from 56 grantees, bringing total public and private investment to more than $211 million.

I drove by the municipal complex under construction on Valley Street a couple weeks ago, and while I can't tell whether I'll like the finished architecture yet, the project is clearly giving the area a denser, more urban feeling.

Here are a few photos from the City website with project updates:

MMC%20Overall%20SW%20View%20Dec%2011%202011%20Pictures%20provided%20by%20Harvey%20Construction.jpg

Valley Street is mostly out of frame to the right, Hayward Street to the left; the building under construction at the bottom (east) is the Administration Building and the upper (west) is the Police Station. Both buildings are setback from Valley Street a bit, but align with existing neighboring buildings because of an old rail line that ran along the road.

Admin%20Exterior%20Dec%2013%202011.JPG

The Admin building--I'm having a hard time telling whether I like it--it will depend a lot on the finishes, but the big doorway to the left is a nice urban gesture.

Police%20Wall%20Construction%20North%20Side%201-10-12.jpg

The Police Station--I'm having an even harder time telling if I like this one, but the sense of urban enclosure at Maple and Valley Streets is so much better than the old highway department garage

Admin%20Steel%20Frame%20Sept%2028%202011.JPG

Older photo of the Admin building--you can see how it adds to the scale and presence of the Hoitt's Furniture building just up the road in contrast to the shopping mall across the street

Police%20Steel%20Structure%20Nov%2022,%202011.jpg

Similarly, you can see how the Police Station adds to the old, brick building across Maple Street

431478_10150736694482306_683387305_12156318_662058849_n.jpg

Finally a historic image with Gill Stadium in the center, downtown and the Millyard in the center background. The brick building next to the police station is in the foreground, and the old highway garage is where the police station is now being built. The open space next to Gill Stadium is unfortunately now the Maple Street Plaza

Not too exciting, but definitely an improvement over the old Queen City Motel:

Developer touts Queen City Ave. motel proposal
By KATHRYN MARCHOCKI

New Hampshire Union Leader

MANCHESTER — A plan to convert the 1950sera Queen City Motor Inn into a fully staffed, in-patient rehabilitation center would continue the revitalization of south Manchester that began with last spring’s opening of a $100 million medical facility, the project’s developer said this week.

“It’s a $3.2 million rehabilitation to a rundown structure,” Richard “Dick” Anagnost, president of Anagnost Companies Inc. of Manchester, said this week. The proposed rehabilitation center also would be a “complementary use of the area (that) the property lends itself to,” he added.

Anagnost was lead developer of The Elliot at River’s Edge Ambulatory Care Center, the $100 million project flagged as an anchor for future redevelopment in the south downtown area when it opened across the street from the motel.

He said Elliot Health Systems is not involved with his plan to convert the 140 Queen City Ave. motel into a 72-bed rehabilitation center with 24hour nursing and security staff. Anagnost said he is in talks with two to four health care providers about potential uses for the site. They range from a nursing home, drug and alcohol rehabilitation center to a physical rehabilitation facility where day-surgery patients from Elliot at River’s Edge could convalesce. He said he has no formalized agreement with anyone to date.

City planners took no action last week on Anagnost’s request for a conditional use permit. The nine-member board will take up the proposal again at its March 1 public hearing.

While Anagnost said he is pursuing the proposal independent of Elliot Health Systems, he said he has talked with Elliot officials.

“We have had multiple conversations with the Elliot that this is one of the properties in the neighborhood that needs to be cleaned up,” Anagnost said.

The motel has been a frequent source of complaints of drug activity, fights, assaults, thefts, loud noise and domestic disputes, according to police crime data.

Since September 2007, police have gone to the Queen City Motor Inn 587 times in response to complaints, Lt. Maureen Tessier said. Of these, 51 resulted in police developing enough information to either make arrests or file a report of a criminal activity, she said.

“I would say that is certainly a high number,” Tessier said.

Several factors make the hillside site ideal for development, Anagnost said. The tract is on a hilly rise off a main thoroughfare with quick access to an interstate highway, Anagnost said. It is “extremely secluded” and “well surrounded by buffers” and has few residential abutters, he said.

“Although Elliot is not involved in this proposed project, we welcome the development of such a center to improve the health and wellness of the people who need rehabilitation services,” Elliot Health Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Doug Dean said in a statement.

The general concept of converting the motel into a rehabilitation facility also won the support of Richard Webster, housing development manager at Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority. The authority owns and operates Elmwood Gardens, a 199-unit apartment complex that is the motel’s closest residential neighbor.

“I would have to support in general terms any facility which will help people rehabilitate from their drug and alcohol dependencies,” Webster said.

“But, at the same time, the devil is in the details and I don’t know any of the details of this proposed facility and how it would impact the neighborhood,” he added.

At last week’s public hearing, several Brown Avenue and Kennedy Street residents opposed the idea of a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center.

Anagnost said he has a purchase- and-sales agreement on the site that is contingent upon obtaining necessary city approvals.

I do not see how any could be against this. I think it will do a lot for the area. The problem that development in general has is building on lots of forest and field in suburban towns. I like to see developers pushing to have places renovated and abandoned lots used like Anagnost. Much MUCH better use of land, promoting urban development and living strengthening the communities and saving our untouched land.

It sounds like Manchester is finally resuming the Neighborhood Initiatives program that Guinta let flounder after a promising start in Rimmon Heights in 2006. The focus now is on the Hollow, a more isolated and economically struggling area, but with similar density to Rimmon Heights. The area is in the city center, but not on any major roads (Lake Ave, being a possible exception) and is defined by the meandering line of Massabesic Street, which defies the city's grid.

xy_6A28B037-FC04-4DA5-B8F5-F0B613DA4023__.jpg

The Odd Fellows building/Dearborn Hall in the Hollow before restoration began last year

From Saturday's UL:

City Neighborhoods
FULL OF IDEAS FOR The Hollow
Big-dollar facelift is hoped for

By MARK HAYWARD

New Hampshire Union Leader

MANCHESTER
City officials have some big plans for the Hollow, a small neighborhood on the eastern edge of the center city, where Massabesic Street winds to a halt at Lake Avenue.

That is where the old Odd-Fellows Hall stands, a 4-story, brick landmark that is undergoing a $1 million-plus facelift, courtesy of federal community development funds.

In the last few years, sidewalks and storm drains have been rebuilt, and a corner at Old Falls Avenue has sprouted benches and a flagpole.

Now, city officials say they are poised to make a second urban redevelopment push into the Hollow. On tap is everything from a new apartment/ storefront building to early 20th century street lamps. Officials will even encourage corner stores to stock healthy food.

“I’m really excited about what’s going to happen with some of the funding we’re going to be getting,” said Brian Keating, a neighborhood planner with the city of Manchester. But several residents of the Hollow worry that social problems won’t be addressed by the city.

During a meeting held this week to discuss Hollow revitalization, residents complained about graffiti, unsupervised children and ugly storefronts.

And they worried that a scarcity of parking will be exacerbated once dozens of workers start showing up the OddFellows Hall. The city plans to make it into an office building for non-profit organizations.

“If you get home after 5 o’clock, forget it. You’re parking outside your neighborhood,” said Lake Avenue resident Diane Prievy.

City officials acknowledge they don’t have all the answers. For example, Keating touts the Highway Department’s graffiti removal van, while neighborhood activist Cheryl Mitchell said she doesn’t wait; she takes a hose and cleaner to graffiti.

To Mitchell, more has to happen than new buildings and sidewalks. She worries about a loss of neighborliness in the Hollow, which is home to some of the city’s newest residents, immigrants and refugees. “How many times do you walk down the street with blinders?” asked Mitchell. “You gotta get involved, you gotta say hello, you gotta know who your neighbors are.”

The Hollow is named after a dip that takes place along Massabesic Street, right before it terminates at the intersection of Lake Avenue and Hall Street. With its curves and humps, Massabesic defies the city’s orderly grid, cutting odd-angled intersections and triangular buildings into the cityscape.

Here’s what the city has in store:

• Finish the OddFellows Hall. This week, the aldermanic Community Improvement Committee gave a green light to its continued rehab. Some $930,000 in Neighborhood Strategy Program funds has been spent on the building. The city has applied for a $3 million U.S. Housing and Urban Development loan poll, some of which could be used on the OddFellows Hall.

• The building at 401 Spruce St., known as the Oven Popper or old Sealtest Ice Cream building, will be demolished. On store is a building with retail/ commercial storefronts and housing for veterans.

City officials say they have $1.1 million in federal funds available for the project.

• The city plans to offer $5,000 in matching grants available for retailers to improve their storefront and for landlords to bring their buildings up to code.

• The city hopes to promote a walkable neighborhood with bus stops and crosswalks. The Manchester Health Department also wants to encourage neighborhood stores to make healthy food available.

• Harriman Park will also be improved. Keating said the city wants to “assess the use of the basketball court.” Several years ago, the city took down the basketball hoops at the request of Alderman Ed Osborne.

Osborne, who quietly pushed the first phase of redevelopment, is excited about the plans for the Hollow.

“Anything is better than the way it is,” Osborne said. “It needs to be upgraded, the infrastructure.

Spruce it up, liven it up.”

I was driving by an saw that the Amoskeag Inn (I think I have this right) is being renovated, at least on the outside, and it does look significant. I don't know much, or know much of the place, but I think prior to this, it looked fairly old and just didn't have a modern look to it.

I was driving by an saw that the Amoskeag Inn (I think I have this right) is being renovated, at least on the outside, and it does look significant. I don't know much, or know much of the place, but I think prior to this, it looked fairly old and just didn't have a modern look to it.

That area is never going to be very urban or desirable in my view--it's too much of an off-ramp/rotary area with a hydro plant--but the renovations are definitely an improvement. There's actually a good deal of info on the project at the website of what they're calling the Falls Center.

Here's a rendering of what it should look like when completed:
la_quinta_2.jpg

It will definitely be a better looking building and a bit more welcoming to those coming off the highway to the North End, but that area will always be an auto-dominated suburban bubble right near downtown. That's okay, I guess. Interestingly, Aurore Eaton, the executive director of the Manchester Historic Association, has a weekly column in the Union Leader (subscription only) and she's currently documenting the history of the Amoskeag neighborhood. Here's a snippet about how the early Amoskeag Manufacturing Company built up the area:

To accommodate its growing work force, the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company created a small self-contained village near the mills. Amoskeag Village included tenement housing for employees, machine shops, horse stables, a store, a post office, and a meeting hall. This little settlement was laid out on a neat grid system. The village was located at the current site of the new LaQuinta Inn at Amoskeag Circle near the Amoskeag Bridge.

It may never be very urban, but ultimately it is part of the city, and the building did not necessarily stand out as ugly, but I do not remember what it looked like. So it definable needs improvement to stand out more. That rendering looks good.

Back