Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

Re: Mandarin Oriental

wow...those last two pics really drive home what an impact this building is having on the street- that part of back bay has been totally transformed! and yeah, I agree that something more interesting could have gone there, but if it does nothing else but fade into the background, it will be 100% more successful than the Exeter St. Darth-Vader building, which I'm waiting to take off and return to the mother ship...

Can someone post a picture of this "Darth Vader" building? Not sure which building is being referred to, thanks...

^Ah, THAT building. Meh, what do you expect? After all, it was built during the "dark years" in Boston's architectural history (late 50's - mid 80's).

Huh, that's Boston's Darth Vader? I always assumed it would be One Boston Place...

Boston's greatest facade of a decade....

Ive always liked that darth vader building, although the first time I saw it, I did wonder how it was approved (because of height)

Re: "wow...those last two pics really drive home what an impact this building is having on the street- that part of back bay has been totally transformed! and yeah, I agree that something more interesting could have gone there, but if it does nothing else but fade into the background, it will be 100% more successful than the Exeter St. Darth-Vader building, which I'm waiting to take off and return to the mother ship...?

I agree with Robert Campbell that not all buildings need to be great architecture to have a significant positive impact. What they need to do however, is to provide the walls to the street.

Mandarin Oriental, as the wraps are coming off -- seems likely to provide the right kind of wall on the Pru side {south} of the widest commercial street in Boston {not counting Comm Ave.}

I think the new Drucker Building {hopefully with at least a whiff of Shreve's retained} can provide a similar useful south wall a few blocks up the street.

I?m looking forward in the next few months to seeing how the entrances and other minor decorations play-out as the shops start-up, etc.

One hopes that the decorations will be done a bit more subtly than the blatant rip-off of {er homage to} the Public Library?s light brackets by Johnson in the ?old time radio building? {500 Boylston}back down Boylston Street.

I?m also looking forward to seeing how this will be interfaced from the Pru-side of the building to complete the ?City Under Glass? that is open 365 if not 24X. As an aside -- with the four hotels and bunches of housing as well in the complex -- there should be a 24X365 part of the Pru / Copley complex providing the requirements and a few trinkets for the global traveler.

Westy

img0392rh2.jpg

img0396bc5.jpg

img0397qc1.jpg

img0401tj2.jpg

img0402rr8.jpg

img0403vs8.jpg

img0404et4.jpg

img0406gr9.jpg

img0407of4.jpg

img0408qb8.jpg

img0411pz0.jpg

img0412lx6.jpg

img0414cv6.jpg

it looks like work might be finally starting up on Saks

img0415kk3.jpg

img0416pu6.jpg

img0417kh1.jpg

img0418ux1.jpg

img0419rq4.jpg

img0420ug4.jpg

img0421ir7.jpg

img0425iy7.jpg

img0426qa5.jpg

img0428md9.jpg

img0430co7.jpg

That certainly is nice! Awesome photo.

That is a great shot. Now imagine the top of Transnational place just "peaking" over the top of that streetwall on the right hand side.

^^ May it please, please be, so long as the design doesn't get ravaged now that we've downgraded from Piano.

Hynes needs ground floor shops and outdoor cafe(s).

And the block from which this shot was taken needs some air rights development over the Pike. The Pike and the BRA should be pushing Berklee to develop there rather than pushing them away.

And the Hynes entrance to the Hynes Green Line T stop should be opened to the public (duh ... I can't believe it is STILL closed after Charlie allowed other secondary entrances to open (downtown crossing, park st.)

But the streetwall looks really great. The last Prudential piece (if an agreement on height can ever be reached) will fill in even more.

And the Hynes entrance to the Hynes Green Line T stop should be opened to the public (duh ... I can't believe it is STILL closed after Charlie allowed other secondary entrances to open (downtown crossing, park st.)

This is something that has ALWAYS bothered me. How can I get them started on fixing this issue?

They recently installed CharlieCard gates at the Hynes Green Line entrance so that hints that it should be opening soon.

Back