Marathon Monument

I started to do a google search of the Boston Marathon Bomb and Infowars.com came up in the search.

Well, there was mistake #1. It came up because they have been comment-bombing actual media outlets with links to their batshit crazy schitck. AdamG had to ban someone on Universal Hub for this shit. Infowars makes the whole Zeitgeist thing look credible.

I think this deviation is warranted just to illustrate the absurdium of misinformation that exists on teh interwebz to turn well meaning people into raving lunatics.

Don't flatter yourself. I doubt anyone reads beyond the second sentence of whatever you've written.

For me, anyway, neither the political motives or the identity of the terrorists figure in the design considerations. They can eat shit and die. I wish I could feed them personally, double down.

Just don't want the monument to be craven, self pitying or anything unresolute.

A small Memorial will due , nothing to big or that stands out....

A small Memorial will due , nothing to big or that stands out....

It should absolutely stand out. Considering the trivial shit that this city will put into bronze or lay down a plaque for, a terrorist attack responsible for three deaths, dozens with permanently disfiguring injuries and many more forever stuck with the unfathomable images of the carnage deserves to be acknowledged in a significant way.

People were discussing the importance of the event. Its worth considering that, in Texas this week, there was an explosion that killed more people and the wounded count is comparable to Boston. However, it was not at a public event (it was a factory), though there is plenty of youtube footage, and seems to have been an accident.

It is unlikely that there will be a monument to the lives lost due to that explosion. The contrast between the two events does draw the mind to how we approach death, to be sure.

Why wouldn't there be a monument to the Texas explosion? There's a monument to the Hotel Vendome fire in Boston, which was also a deadly accident.

We are going to need a lot of monuments by the time this night is over :(

there's still no proper memorial for the Cocoanut Grove fire, which happened over 70 years ago.

Ultimately, there will be a monument, perhaps in Copley Square.
I'd like to see something that isn't a "memorial", but something affirming that we carry on.
Nothing mawkish like the horrible Irish Famine memorial, or abstract, or designed by school children.
I'd like a 12 foot St Gaudens style winged Mercury, one hand raised in victory, the other clutching a piece of the finishing line ribbon. Mercury can have the features on a Kenyan. The names of every winner inscribed around a circular base. The names of each fatality inscribed on the ribbon.

I think that this would be the best plan. It's not overstated, but not so obscure that people will understand what the monument is actually for. I have a coworker and bf who were injured and my partner who ran. I think this would be VERY appropriate.

It deserves more than a plaque on a tiny side street.

Very much agreed. Almost every time I go down that street there's either an individual or group standing around, looking for the plaque and/or the site. It deserves better.

Back