Marathon Monument

tobyjug

Reaction score
Ultimately, there will be a monument, perhaps in Copley Square.
I'd like to see something that isn't a "memorial", but something affirming that we carry on.
Nothing mawkish like the horrible Irish Famine memorial, or abstract, or designed by school children.
I'd like a 12 foot St Gaudens style winged Mercury, one hand raised in victory, the other clutching a piece of the finishing line ribbon. Mercury can have the features on a Kenyan. The names of every winner inscribed around a circular base. The names of each fatality inscribed on the ribbon.

Perhaps an extension of the Freedom Trail would be fitting. Maybe calling it "The Patriots' Trail" or "Trailblazer Addition". Not only would it guide people to the site to pay their respects in remembrance discretely, but also it would open the possibility to highlight many other historic gems in the city that can be ignored by tourists assuming all worth seeing is on the existing freedom trail.
- The Public Garden
- Future Edgar Allen Poe Monument
- Trinity Church
- Copley Square
- RH (site of Boston's Natural History Museum)
- Boston Public Library
- Old South Church

As toby said, something that is a memorial at inception yet celebratory to future marathons.

Last edited:
All deaths and injuries should be memorialized and not forgotten. But... and here is a bit of a controversial question (and, not even having all the facts in yet, it is quite hard to answer) ... does anyone think this event was probably less earth-shatteringly consequential than the media and talking heads would have it?

Would this be placed near the rabbit/tortoise and plaque on the ground with all the winners?

All deaths and injuries should be memorialized and not forgotten. But... and here is a bit of a controversial question (and, not even having all the facts in yet, it is quite hard to answer) ... does anyone think this event was probably less earth-shatteringly consequential than the media and talking heads would have it?

I think that is a pretty good question. There was an earthquake in Pakistan and Iran (granted, maybe not our favorite countries) that killed ten times more people, so in absolute terms not as significant.

But this is our event regardless of the outside media. When they have moved on to ricin or empty rental trucks we should mark it in a way that reflects our character.

It sounds horrible to say so now, but ultimately it probably won't be remembered as a major incident. I tend to forget the Atlanta bombing, which was on the same scale, even happened until I'm reminded of it. There were more deadly terrorist bombings in the early 20th century in many US cities that most people would be very hard pressed to know even happened today.

Of course, this depends on the outcome of the investigation. If it turns out to have international dimensions, it could well be swept into the litany of post-9/11 events (London, Madrid) that get cited often.

All that said, of course there will and should be a memorial. Anyone looking for anything triumphalist shouldn't hold your breath - that isn't the direction memorials have taken over the last quarter-century, and I don't think they'll be going back. I have been picturing something like a series of statutes of runners in a line - first in full stride, then lost, devastated, confused, then determined and running again. I think that would poignantly take note of the event but acknowledge that life must go on.

I'm not sure, the marathon is a bit different from Atlanta in that it happens every year (as opposed to every 4) and is always hosted along the same route (as opposed to being hosted by a different venue each time). Also, it was a bit more symbolic, being at the finish line, and was undiscovered prior to the explosion. For these reasons alone (excluding anything about the perpetrator), while the attack was not as deadly as many others attacks, i'd wager it will be remembered for some time to come.

Last edited:
This will never be forgotten, at least by Bostonians. The 117 year-old event is now permanently scarred.

Well, assuming this is indeed something we want to memorialize, I'd propose a simple but elegant arch over Boylston at the finish line. This both commemorates victims and at the same time emphasizes the permanence and durability of the annual race.

while grand statues and arches seem appropriate at this point in time, they would likely seem ostentatious in the future. We already have a marathon monument. The most fitting tribute would be a simple addition to the pre-existing monument, be it another stone pillar, a bronze plaque, or some other small gesture to memorialize those killed but still celebrating peaceful and friendly competition, which is what the marathon is all about.

EDIT: I was really tired last night... just cleaned up my horrible grammar.

Last edited:
I think an addition to the current Boston Marathon Memorial would be appropriate as well. It should also recognize victims of all such violence. I saw a report from Syria recently where people are so used to bombings, shootings, and rocket attacks, that they no longer flinch at gun fire and explosions. We are still very lucky to live where we live.

Something needs to be put here, but not something that overshadows the joy of the race (literally or figuratively).

It sounds horrible to say so now, but ultimately it probably won't be remembered as a major incident. I tend to forget the Atlanta bombing, which was on the same scale, even happened until I'm reminded of it. There were more deadly terrorist bombings in the early 20th century in many US cities that most people would be very hard pressed to know even happened today.

Of course, this depends on the outcome of the investigation. If it turns out to have international dimensions, it could well be swept into the litany of post-9/11 events (London, Madrid) that get cited often.

I think this will be more remembered than Atlanta due to the sheer brutality of the attacks - with all the missing limbs and graphic pictures. It's sort of the first major US terrorist attack in the "digital age" and massive sharing on social networking. It also might be known as the first major successful attack on US soil since 9-11, though I guess that depends on how you view the DC sniper incident.

Of course a lot depends on whether the attack was foreign, domestic or both. That will determine if it falls under the London/Madrid category or say Oklahoma City. Boston's relatively high profile (compared to OKC) and the fact that it occurred during an international event (unlike say a normal commute) will keep it pretty well known in spite of the low death total.

Locally of course it will always be a huge deal.

This Boston Marathon Bombing feeling like an inside job....... but I feel like the Boston FBI unit cannot be trusted at this point.

I'm not sure who is involved but Infowars.com has good information on the site.
The Media has lost all its creditability on this.
http://www.infowars.com/breaking-police-confirm-infowars-photos-of-boston-suspects/
Looks like multiple people could be involved

Not only that NY Post is backing Infowars with a picture of a couple of the suspects on their front page
http://www.nypost.com/archives/covers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWRQ8YnrWg&feature=player_embedded

Hi. Let me just throw this out here as someone who lives on Earth and is curious .. what the fuck are you talking about?

This Boston Marathon Bombing feeling like an inside job....... but I feel like the Boston FBI unit cannot be trusted at this point.

I'm not sure who is involved but Infowars.com has good information on the site.
The Media has lost all its creditability on this.
http://www.infowars.com/breaking-police-confirm-infowars-photos-of-boston-suspects/
Looks like multiple people could be involved

Not only that NY Post is backing Infowars with a picture of a couple of the suspects on their front page
http://www.nypost.com/archives/covers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWRQ8YnrWg&feature=player_embedded

Actually, no.

The New York Post can fuck itself. If they went away tomorrow, nobody would miss them.

Now let's get back to the subject of this thread: what is the most appropriate way to commemorate Monday's terrorist attack?

Back