Market Central (née Mass + Main) | 415 Mass Av | Cambridge

HarvardP

Reaction score
I'm referencing the brick that wraps the back of the tower and the two low-rise wings. The new-build brick looks cheap, both up close and from a distance, and the way the color distribution is laid out makes it look like a 'brick heather' t-shirt that quickly goes on clearance.
The brick on the remodeled storefront was cleaned up and looks fine. I too find the blank wall strange, as the large window placements in the structure behind it don't indicate an adjacent future build-out.

Equilibria

Reaction score
I'm referencing the brick that wraps the back of the tower and the two low-rise wings. The new-build brick looks cheap, both up close and from a distance, and the way the color distribution is laid out makes it look like a 'brick heather' t-shirt that quickly goes on clearance.
The brick on the remodeled storefront was cleaned up and looks fine. I too find the blank wall strange, as the large window placements in the structure behind it don't indicate an adjacent future build-out.
I imagine that there would be a gap on Columbia, but not on the Mass Ave frontage. If there's a gap, those residential units would still want light, even if there's no view.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
If the blank wall is on the property line, I don't find it strange at all.

I didn't think building code here allowed for windows on a property line wall -- unless you have a setback (or were willing to use fire rated windows.) And even then you have to assume the building next door can cover them if it goes tall.

RandomWalk

Reaction score
I think this building is now complete, except for commercial tenant fitout. The heavy construction is related to the storm drain project.

atlantaden

Reaction score
A vast improvement over what was there, added housing (20% affordable), retail space, and a real nice street presence. The developers did a great job!

odurandina

Reaction score
The rendering did a good job simulating how cheap the white portion of the tower would look, but I had held out more hope for the faux brick portions.
Hundreds of feet of dull/dead frontage or stumps on Mass Ave, Boylston St, Huntington Ave, Tremont St, Washington St, Dudley, & behind the Green Monster should get this tall and fat.

Last edited:

Czervik.Construction

Reaction score
The grey-stripey building directly to the west on the other side of MA Ave is re-clad (i.e., not new), correct?