Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

Agreed, Kneeland is particularly awful.

All the sidewalks have been recently replaced on Kneeland. The city has put a ton of money into fixing this area up in the last 6-12 months.

Between Tremont Street and South Station?

Definitely on the Chinatown/DTX side between Washington and South Station. Not sure about the Masspike side. Kneeland doesn't start officially until Washington. Also does anyone know why Stuart becomes Kneeland just randomly like that? It's super confusing.

Definitely on the Chinatown/DTX side between Washington and South Station. Not sure about the Masspike side. Kneeland doesn't start officially until Washington. Also does anyone know why Stuart becomes Kneeland just randomly like that? It's super confusing.

As a long standing convention in Boston, all streets were supposed to change name when they cross Washington Street. Today's Washington Street was named after General Washington took this route into Boston for his triumphant return to the city at the end of the Revolutionary War. In addition to renaming the then string of streets he traversed into the city to come to the Old Statehouse, the city also instituted the custom to change street names when they cross the then new Washington Street.

Sometimes the name changes are obvious (Stuart, Kneeland; Winter, Summer; State, Court). Sometimes they are more subtle (East Newton, West Newton; Oak Street, Oak Street West). And some newer street do not follow the custom (Marginal, Herald, Massachusetts Avenue). (Massachusetts Avenue was originally East Chester and West Chester until the 1890's)

Last edited:

Just adding on to JeffDowntown's response to note that the practice of changing names as they cross Washington tends to peter out as you get further outbound. It still happens in Roxbury, JP, and Roslindale, but probably fewer than half of the streets in those neighborhoods change names at the intersection.

You appear to be easily confused.

Vertical construction of Theater District’s 24-story Moxy Hotel tower beginning

ext

Really impressive that they manage to squeeze the crane and the fire exit for the adjacent theater into this little postage stamp. This is a cool project.

25864607418_f80861e6ae_b.jpg

39736337441_073f52833b_b.jpg

And a couple shots of the sidewalks on the north side of Kneeland

25864611908_f70a343fe0_b.jpg

25864609268_ace0bf2744_b.jpg

I went and looked at the other pic of this posted this ones zoomed out more than the other one.

Exterior-Moxy-Rendering-Image-02-768x1024.jpg

and heres the zoomed pic I made and have posted but f it good to look at what were getting

https://postimage.org/

58bdbefb04ad0_rsz_rendering_tremont_and_stuart_corner.jpeg

Last edited:
I went out to dinner for my sisters birthday a few days ago in dtx and noticed that theres a lot of very thin lots around this size dotting the city. I mean Ive noticed before but never really mentioned it, but if we can get some pencil towers going up theres actually a lot of spaces like this all around the city. Most are those minuscule parking lots, or some other random use but there has to be about 10 around downtown that you could throw up a thin tower in at some point. The economics are starting to make it so those lots will actually become viable probably pretty soon.

-looks like we get another lit crown here too. Keep em comin baby.

Plus some vertical led's at ground level and some lighting right at the ground floor. Should be a cool foil for 45 stuarts lit up glass lobby across the street.

I know it's not this building exactly but the W across the street looks like it is getting a huge sign added to it just over the side walk. Hopefully some more light and neon down here.

Yes^ u can see the sheets of plywood in the 1st pic , it’s going to be a big sign hopefully lit up

Back