Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

Great example of a sliver tower and a common sense way to maximize small sites.

Absolutely:

1) Cantilever over the sidewalk, with substantial foundation elements actually under the sidewalk to support the moment from the cantilever (IIRC from scanning the project docs a while back)
2) also notice the subtle outward taper toward the W hotel (air rights over Tremont)

These designers maximized every possible square millimeter of floor space on this puppy, and did so without making it look like a frankenstein.

Also kudos to negotiating air rights over two streets, and "under rights" beneath the sidewalk.

When this tower is finished it will create a nice gateway/twin pillars guarding Tremont St. effect with W Hotel across the street... it's just too bad that the view they'll frame looking northbound is so incredibly lackluster, with the State Transportation Building hulking fortress on the left and those incredibly degraded, ridiculous relics on the right:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3507652,-71.0649836,3a,75y,1.81h,91.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVjce9KrEdau9f8nN0C_idQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

P.S. I respect that one of those "incredibly degraded, ridiculous relics" houses the beloved Tam dive bar, and then there's the equally quaint Intermission Tavern (building of which appears to be in OK condition). But still...

Great example of a sliver tower and a common sense way to maximize small sites.

i wonder if a few more of these could be lurking out there for Round II of the Marty Construction Era From BU West Campus to Kenmore Sq, and from Mission Hill & Roxbury to the Fenway. :rolleyes:

i wonder if a few more of these could be lurking out there for Round II of the Marty Construction Era From BU West Campus to Kenmore Sq, and from Mission Hill & Roxbury to the Fenway. :rolleyes:

Doubtful you'll see anything along the BU corridor before Kenmore except maybe a new academic building next to the College of Arts and Sciences. BU had planned to put up a tall new dorm in West Campus but those plans are on hold indefinitely.

Lol how old are you? I'm 52, never in MY lifetime did I think. I can remember back to when a "Re-elect Mayor Collins!" sign was on Parcel 7.

Never in my lifetime did I think these two parcels would be developed 🙂

Northeastern is supposed to build a hotel on Parcel 18 (?) next to Renaissance Center. It has been a parking lot for decades. A Moxy hotel geared to Northeastern and the Harvard medical area would be good there.

The barriers have now been bumped much farther out onto Tremont Street than they were originally placed.

Completely taking away the sidewalk, especially in a heavy foot traffic area, is ridiculous. Someone is going to get killed. Pedestrians get treated like garbage in this city.

Completely taking away the sidewalk, especially in a heavy foot traffic area, is ridiculous. Someone is going to get killed. Pedestrians get treated like garbage in this city.

Agreed. They actually build the sidewalk landing out behind the jersey barriers if you take a walk by.

The issue here is that all modes should be asked to share the burden of the construction disruption. Right now the peds are carrying the entire burden of the disruption...

What I mean is that if you are going to close a sidewalk and force people to cross, why not make an update to signal timing / make the walk sign buttons actually work...or even insert a peds-only signal phase.

But they never do that...they just close the sidewalk and keep the signals the same...so the drivers keep going business-as-usual, and meanwhile the peds just got 3 minutes added to their walk. So naturally they say eff this and walk into the traffic.

I believe this intersection already has a peds-only signal phase.

Ah ok, thanks!

I'll simplify: since this thing is going to be going on for ~2 years, I just hope they do a good job sharing the burden of the disruption among the cars & peds

Back