Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

I dont know what the difference is between deluge sprinklers and the regular ones, but a couple of years ago, California mandated that all homes (including detached single family) have sprinklers.

Developers threw a fit, claimed no one would ever buy a house again yada yada.

Well, not every new home has sprinklers and last I checked, people are sitll buying them.

It's not buying, it's building. The California housing market is in crisis right now because the state isn't building enough homes.

I'm not saying that sprinkler requirements are the cause of that, but if you're trying to make a point then California housing probably isn't your best exhibit...

It's not buying, it's building. The California housing market is in crisis right now because the state isn't building enough homes.

I'm not saying that sprinkler requirements are the cause of that, but if you're trying to make a point then California housing probably isn't your best exhibit...

Fake news.

The only housing crisis is in the Bay Area.

A new 400 home subdivision starts construction every say in the middle. Theres probably more homes under construction in Kern County right now than all of New England

Fake news.

The only housing crisis is in the Bay Area.

A new 400 home subdivision starts construction every say in the middle. Theres probably more homes under construction in Kern County right now than all of New England

Anecdotes aren't data; check the stats.

Housing construction in CA dropped to an all-time low after the Great Recession. In the years since it's increased some, but it's still only at a level right around the mid-recession troughs of past decades. In the 60s, 70s, and 80s CA saw housing construction levels about 3 times what CA is building now. As recent as the mid-2000s they were building about 2X the current rate. And that's all on an absolute level basis; when you look at construction in terms of percentage of population (or employment!) it's even worse.

my California nimby is rising.

Build highrises at every GD transit station w/ bike stations and no parking.

But, i don't want Oxnard and Ventura and every other place going more endless condo hell.

This nice tower hints at how superb 533 Washington St would have been.

Need to solve it and build.

Anecdotes aren't data

Id love to see data that directly addresses my comment:

"Theres probably more homes under construction in Kern County right now than all of New England"

Id love to see data that directly addresses my comment:

"Theres probably more homes under construction in Kern County right now than all of New England"

The data's available if you spend 5 minutes looking.

2017 total residential unit building permits:
Suffolk County, MA: 5,235
Middlesex County, MA: 3,682
Kern County, CA: 2,640

If you're going on single-family units alone:
Kern County, CA: 2,378
Middlesex County, MA: 1,485
Worcester County, MA: 1,163
Plymouth County, MA: 1,092

So no, there are NOT more homes under construction in Kern County right now than all of New England.

Also note that Kern County is more populous than Suffolk, Worcester, and Plymouth counties but with a population density <1/8th of Massachusetts.

Looks like we might be getting some small, fire rated windows on the back side, on the property line.

picture.php

They need to do this curtain wall on the never spend money to improve anything anywhere in any city Sheraton Towers.

Although not the tallest building, a roof bar would be fantastic here given it is not surrounded by lots of taller buildings.

Nice, glad they went with a lot of glass. This will stand up significantly better over time than some of the surrounding buildings.

Back