Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

tbh I don't hate the checkerboard craziness. The colors aren't horrendous and its kinda fun and campy/kitschy

I don't hate it was precisely my reaction to the checkerboard in the latest round of pics. And I definitely like it on the side angle:

I think when the video board is installed and lit up, this will be a fun, whimsical little building with moxy!

286-290-Tremont-Street-Tower-Chinatown-Boston-Affordable-Housing-Hotel-Parking-Community-Space-Library-Millennium-Partners-Asian-CDC-Corcoran-Jennison-Tufts.jpg

This will block the very limited view there even is of the back side too. The front came out good so that works. The ground level was supposed to have a video screen but thats been squashed and replaced with like a backlit square with designs on it, but that I think would have went with the theme better.

This is such a great example of "downtown Boston" that always baffled me. You could be in the park by the AMC, walk a quarter mile to Beacon Hill, DTX or over to Stuart, where there is still a big city feel to it, then cross Stuart and then it all completely stops. It gets really quiet, there is that sketchy little park that used to be full of drug addicts.

Or in the 6 West B'way thread, you see how close that part of Southie really is to downtown, but might as well be a world away.

It seemed, maybe less so today, that there are streets and intersections that once crossed, the city changes completely.

The checkerboard pattern isn't the most offensive part of that image.

While I don't think it deserves a pass, this stretch of Tremont (Stuart to Oak) has always been disappointing from an urban perspective, especially when you consider that it's anchored by three lovely theaters and a historic hotel building (which seems criminal to brand as a Courtyard by Marriott, but I digress). As a a kid coming into town, i used to think that this stretch is where the city "ended" because you go from the density and vitality of the downtown core to an ultra-wide street that starts with the aforementioned theaters/hotel and abruptly becomes a gap in the streetwall, a hulking parking a garage, a surface lot, an Orange Line station, and a YMCA (at least I think that raised plaza is part of the Y) that does everything in its power to ignore the street around it.

The back of the Moxy should be better. But there's a LOT that needs to happen on that street before you can say that's the worst thing about the stretch.

But as a note on the project itself, I really like how this building seems a lot taller than it really is.

It looks significantly taller than some seaport bldgs 11' shorter

The ground level was supposed to have a video screen but thats been squashed and replaced with like a backlit square with designs on it, but that I think would have went with the theme better.

When did that happen? Do you have a source?

Rare foray on the motorway today. Returning from the south was surprized that the goofy squares had a pleasing aspect in the overall skyline mix.

You could be in the park by the AMC, walk a quarter mile to Beacon Hill, DTX or over to Stuart, where there is still a big city feel to it, then cross Stuart and then it all completely stops.

Aren't you merely speaking of the abrupt/radical transition to the Bay Village protected district? Which is really no different than the abrupt/radical transition, south of Huntington Ave., to the South End protected district?

http://boston.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=c8b6ccf25f2e4bc3bdf4fd5140add599

Of course in both cases it feels like a strange displacement--a very intrusive government regulation has made it so! But that same intrusive regulation also gives Boston its incredible "a city of neighborhoods" vibe. Do we really want to jeopardize that?

When did that happen? Do you have a source?

I think he's totally misinformed. My understanding is the hotel is built on an very complicated array of easements from the Wilbur or something, but that the hotel is the "junior" easement... and the giant electronic billboard to be affixed to it is in fact the "senior" easement. Thus, to a certain extent, the hotel literally exists to keep the incoming giant electronic billboard properly erected... with the hotel's purpose of serving guests being a mere secondary function. (Again, in a very narrow legalistic sense.)

I could be mistaken.

I figured it was swapped for a sign when it went from this.
1123849648_5748.jpg

To this:
fit

And when before BBJ said for the 2006 proposal:
“An electronic sign will wrap around the corner of the building and be visible from Stuart and Tremont Streets, mimicking Time Square signs in New York City. The sign will include an 8-by-17-foot video display on the second level above the building's corner entrance. The video display will be available for commercial sponsorship and a portion of the proceeds will go to the BRA for a Theater District Improvement Fund to pay for streetscape and upkeep of the neighborhood.”

To now Bldup saying this for the recent proposal thats u/c:
“A two-story advertising sign will be constructed at the corner of Stuart and Tremont Streets as part of the Moxy Hotel's facade.“

I took the new render and description of it as a “2 story advertisement sign” as it being a sign, where before it was described as an “electronic video display available for commercial sponsorship”. I could absolutely be wrong this is just what I got from it.

Yea the wording and new render threw me off, but I agree it seems like it still is. My bad.

A coworker just told me there are multiple fire trucks at this building. I'm leaving the office shortly and will take a look/update the group. Anybody else have an update?

A coworker just told me there are multiple fire trucks at this building. I'm leaving the office shortly and will take a look/update the group. Anybody else have an update?

Two alarm fire per Twitter.

Any hope the sprinklers are up w/ compartments firestopped?

That is rather fun how they have brought the camouflage pattern around to the screen on the glass side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back