Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

Maybe (hopefully?) it will taper towards less green and more blue as the panel install moves upwards toward the top of the building?

Nope. They are 3/4 up the side now and it is the same pattern/same colors.

If this is meant to be "camouflage" it is doing a very poor job of hiding the building!

I kinda wish they did this on the walls of the Hub's North Station - T pedestrian tunnel.

The Treehouse and Zinc have already set the precedent for this and both have blunted the initial "shock of the new" as far as large scale pixelated facades go. The envelope has never been pushed by trying to please everyone.

Perhaps it has yet to be fitted with rings of lime/orange LEDs that will be lit for the first week and then ... never again (just like Zinc)!

Nope. They are 3/4 up the side now and it is the same pattern/same colors.

If this is meant to be "camouflage" it is doing a very poor job of hiding the building!
The idea behind 'dazzle' was to visually disrupt the massing. As for glass, if this is built out to the property line, then one would have to secure and pay for an easement from the abutting owner to allow for maintenance and periodic cleaning of a grungy glass facade.

That said, I might have substituted a palette of reds, grays, and yellows for the blues and greens.

The alternative (and more visually prominent) is to do what was done at 45 Province.

Amarok+Gun+.jpg

pixelated winter camo.

The idea behind 'dazzle' was to visually disrupt the massing. As for glass, if this is built out to the property line, then one would have to secure and pay for an easement from the abutting owner to allow for maintenance and periodic cleaning of a grungy glass facade.

That said, I might have substituted a palette of reds, grays, and yellows for the blues and greens.

The alternative (and more visually prominent) is to do what was done at 45 Province.

Amarok+Gun+.jpg

pixelated winter camo.

What do they do to clean the windows that are here? Theres still 2 rows here, 45 Province also has 1 row in the blank wall.

As tragic as the back of this is, I will say I stayed at the Moxy Downtown NYC a couple weeks ago and it was incredible, very young and perfect for this spot

I think if they had added some depth and given the rear a defined top like the tree house it would have had more purpose. Theres also some windows on the back if they had made those more noticeable as well I think it could have worked out better. Overall though I dont hate it and I like the front.

mass-art-new-dorm-1-resized.jpg

I still don't quite get why a wall has to be left unskinned, (I know, it's been explained many times, fire codes, whatever) but if a high rise has to have a mostly blank wall, so be it. The Moxy's solution to their blank wall situation sure lives up to it's name! Shows lots of damn moxy to cover the wall with this color pattern...and I freakin love it. It's neither boring nor bland (though the colors could have been a bit brighter), it catches your eye and adds something fun, quite different, so not Boston, to a small piece of the local skyline.

tbh I don't hate the checkerboard craziness. The colors aren't horrendous and its kinda fun and campy/kitschy

Well it's a hotel not a funeral parlor and is now also a brand new landmark. Impossible to not notice it.

Mimicking the W across the street. Spandrels can look like that after absinthe.

47323369621_ab4ca3b552_b.jpg

i think the idea was/is ok.

Execution at the Tree House; incredible.

here; not very good.

Mimicking the W across the street. Spandrels can look like that after absinthe.

47323369621_ab4ca3b552_b.jpg

The checkerboard pattern isn't the most offensive part of that image.

While I don't think it deserves a pass, this stretch of Tremont (Stuart to Oak) has always been disappointing from an urban perspective, especially when you consider that it's anchored by three lovely theaters and a historic hotel building (which seems criminal to brand as a Courtyard by Marriott, but I digress). As a a kid coming into town, i used to think that this stretch is where the city "ended" because you go from the density and vitality of the downtown core to an ultra-wide street that starts with the aforementioned theaters/hotel and abruptly becomes a gap in the streetwall, a hulking parking a garage, a surface lot, an Orange Line station, and a YMCA (at least I think that raised plaza is part of the Y) that does everything in its power to ignore the street around it.

The back of the Moxy should be better. But there's a LOT that needs to happen on that street before you can say that's the worst thing about the stretch.

Last edited:

Back