MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Re: MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. + Mass. Ave

I hope the former bank building at the southeast corner will remain?

That's Berklee property and there's no way it'll stay.

Pretty low rent. I get that this is a good thing, and I'm happy to hear about it. But maybe they could have tossed ADA-ification of Hynes Convention Center in the package? That's a win-win really.

The actual center or the T stop? T-stop work would end up part of the project that develops the parcel (13-14?) across the street.

Last edited:

That's Berklee property and there's no way it'll stay.

The rendering in the BRA PDF linked in the Globe article shows a separate project being built on top of the Berklee building on the corner. Looks like the base may remain, but that's apparently not part of this project.

If I remember correctly, the massing over the Berklee corner building is part of Berklee's expansion in conjunction with their new building down Mass Ave.

T-stop

This is the proposal with the crappy two-story glass box over the Pike, isn't it? Blah, could've gone with something better for that parcel, at least.

Renders/reminders:

screenshot20130304at450.jpg

screenshot20130304at450.jpg

screenshot20130304at451.jpg

screenshot20130304at451.jpg

Matthew - as the renders KZ posted show, the T entrance on Boylston is part of the remaining parcel that the winner didn't bid on. I'm guessing this parcel will now go out for bid independently.

But, might the Mass Ave parcel here involve a new entrance as well?

Hmm, it will be on top of the bus station area.

Don't recall if there is a connecting tunnel underneath, would be nice, but doubt it.

Yeah, the render just makes it look like a new bus stop area, not an entrance to the station.

Midrise looks not bad at all, nor the glass box. They both get the job done pleasantly enough. Tower is ok but it suffers a bit from the usual Elkus multi-facade schizophrenia.

It will hide the Dalton St garage nicely.

Hmm, it will be on top of the bus station area.

Don't recall if there is a connecting tunnel underneath, would be nice, but doubt it.

There is one!

I believe it's behind that silver door to your right as you make your way down the steps into the Hynes station lobby. It leads to the bus shelter, but hasn't been used in a very, very long time.

I think there is a tunnel under mass ave but it's closed.

I would expect that the proposal that includes the dorms will be selected.

Rehab of that would have been appropriate, plus access on the other side, part of the building. Imagine that, a direct underground link to your building from a subway station... just like in Tokyo or Montreal ;)

The renderings show a building between the high rise and the Hynes. Is there any chance something will happen here with and I wonder if this means the proposal to build on the Dalton St garage site is dead?

Any impact on the Freeway Veuw Bukowski's? Haven't even acquired my commemorative mug from them yet in order to launch in on drinking the compleat beer selection....

The renderings show a building between the high rise and the Hynes. Is there any chance something will happen here with and I wonder if this means the proposal to build on the Dalton St garage site is dead?

This might be an issue of cost. Weiner controls the portion of P15 which was private, the old grotto area behind St. Cecilia's. St Cecilia's took the money from that sale (2007 or 2008) and redid the entrances to the church.

It is much easier, owing to the slope of the site, for Samuels to build on the section of P15 outlined here. Furter development would require some extra decking over the T tracks and a portion of the pike. Also, I'm sure the Hynes wants to have some say, since trucks are stored down next to the Dalton Street fun palace.

I'm sure the fight has just begun here over this development. Remember all those jersey barriers at the corner of Dalton and Boylston a few years back. Those were placed there in order to protect load limits on the bridge. Simple fix, yes, but a peeing contest broke out between the Boston PD and the Staties on who would run the details during reconstruction. Expect more of this arsehattery going forward on this project since we have mixed Boston and State jurisdictions over these sites.

I am still miffed at the killing of Boylston Square. "Northern Light" my foot.

A 2-story box "can" (we'll see!) get built over the Pike, but we can't get a tower anywhere on the damn thing in decades?

Back