MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Too Narrow and not ADA Compliant.

The issue you folks are forgetting is the T was sued about ADA compliance issues. Not only that, this also has to do with the grandfather'd issue.

In many cases any public station/building/highrise/dollhouse built after a certain date (I think its 1990) must meet ADA Compliance. So the minute the T breaths on updating stations, it *has* to take in consideration for ADA access issues. BUT if the station/building/highrise/dollhouse is left untouched and it original format (un-modified in anyway) as it was prior to (1990), it doesn't have to be upgraded to accommodate ADA Compliance.

So, how does HubWay get away with not being ADA compliant?

I have a kneecap that dislocates every time a bike crank reaches the top, and pops back in place by the time the crank gets to the bottom. However, I have a license to ride a motorcycle and can also ride a motorized bicycle. So where are the mopeds at HubWay stations?

I have a kneecap that dislocates every time a bike crank reaches the top, and pops back in place by the time the crank gets to the bottom. However, I have a license to ride a motorcycle and can also ride a motorized bicycle. So where are the mopeds at HubWay stations?

Shut the fuck up. You just inspired twenty lawyers to sue Hubway. /facepalm :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago I called Capitol Bikeshare since they had a web page on ADA and said to call. I called and left a message for a person responsible for more difficult questions saying I wanted to visit DC and use the system. Never got a call back.

With all the lawyers involved in bike share contracting, they probably thought of it. My best guess is that stations are placed near public transit stops so disabled can use public transit instead. That limits the opportunities for station location ... until mopeds are added.

You have got to be kidding. There's been a lack of delusional thinking on here since Whighlander has disappeared. I see he's sent a replacement.

Last edited:

Not to derail the thread too much but I was on a project where one of the client's user reps was a wheelchair Nazi. She went ape over a bike cage and how would she use it. We explained cage access and path of travel within were compliant. She insisted it wasn't and that she wouldn't be able to use it. I don't know what someone with potato salad legs needs with a bike cage but we billed them to have some ADA consultant review it in detail and declare it compliant.

The shit people dream up to waste lawyers money on.

The step through frames and range of adjustment of Hubway bikes make them complaint under the guise of 'reasonable accommodation'. The Kiosks and racks comply with ADA/UFAS standards for access to 'controls' and signage (less Braille) as far as I can tell. Though I suppose someone could sue them into providing some tricycles for people with balance impairment until MIT's Copenhagen Wheel becomes commercially available.

The step through frames and range of adjustment of Hubway bikes make them complaint under the guise of 'reasonable accommodation'. The Kiosks and racks comply with ADA/UFAS standards for access to 'controls' and signage (less Braille) as far as I can tell. Though I suppose someone could sue them into providing some tricycles for people with balance impairment until MIT's Copenhagen Wheel becomes commercially available.

I hate Hubway on a conceptual level, and even I think going after them for ADA non-compliance is completely ridiculous.

I mean, it's a bicycle. There are perfectly healthy people who aren't capable of riding bicycles, never mind the vast range of disabilities that might preclude bicycle riding, such as being wheelchair-bound.

This doesn't seem like the kind of thing where the ADA really can be adhered to... I mean, you can't really ever make the service accessible to people who don't have functional/any legs.

I have a kneecap that dislocates every time a bike crank reaches the top, and pops back in place by the time the crank gets to the bottom. However, I have a license to ride a motorcycle and can also ride a motorized bicycle. So where are the mopeds at Hubway stations?

Because hubway stops aren't buildings. Yes it seems like a T stop wouldn't be considered a building but it is. Plus the T has to be ADA Compliant (its a federal law for transit agencies to be ADA compliant) because its public transportation (Hubway is private so the laws are less stringent, AND since Hubway's primary market is for able bodied people, I doubt this would ever be a problem. (similar to a blind person renting a car... it just never would be done)

And hubway stops do not block egress on the sidewalk, its compliant. (and if by some off chance a disabled person who needed proper ADA Compliance, could use the bikes on the end (since one side meets compliance for space) plus as others have said the screen itself is complaint.

Because hubway stops aren't buildings.
Right. I don't even get Mark's original question. You don't need to pull a building permit to install a bike rack. So as long as you aren't blocking egress, when would ADA compliance ever even come up. By Mark's rationale we should outlaw see-saws (or perhaps playground equipment in general).

What the fuck is going on around here?

Is there any T construction news?

The Park Street elevator headhouse now has a copper roof and signage. From the looks of the construction barricades it should be ready for 2013-4.

How about the Assembly Square Orange Line station? I believe the next step was installing crossovers that would permit operations to work around sections that go temporarily out of service during construction.

Was at Orient Heights this afternoon. Station is an absolute disaster with all the construction still going on. Rebar is all in place for the new platforms and the elevator cores have been poured.

The Park Street elevator headhouse now has a copper roof and signage. From the looks of the construction barricades it should be ready for 2013-4.

Oh good. A quick 5 year 3 story elevator project. I happened to overhear a tourist talking to a person they were with about how he remembered the construction going on when he was in Boston almost 2 years ago and wondering why it was taking so long.

How about the Assembly Square Orange Line station? I believe the next step was installing crossovers that would permit operations to work around sections that go temporarily out of service during construction.

Yep, they have marked where the crossovers will be with spraypaint. Outbound trains will be crossing over to the 'express' track around the construction. One crossover will actually be right on the Mystic River bridge.

I'm not positive, but I think they'll be inserting track panels into the inbound track so they can pull it westward, away from the island platform they'll be building.

Also; Porter elevator work appears to be 100%, but they still have some construction boards up. You can look up the old elevator shaft where you can see the workers have rigged up a system of ladders and platforms. Whew, impressive view upward. :)

Oak Grove rehabilitation doesn't seem to have started, but it should be very soon. Also, the Oak Grove bike cage is finished [in my eyes] but not in use. ???

The Oak Grove bike cage will open next month. They haven't finished all of the lighting work yet.

Back