MBTA Construction Projects

I thought that all of the stations on the GLX are supposed to have ADA access. Looks like the one that's pictured a the top of this page has no elevator. Either that or I can't see it. :unsure:

What headhouse needs to be rebuilt next?

Personally, I do think some of the blue line stations need to be enclosed better. Those are very old anyway. Back Bay may be a bit worn down and ready for some rehab.

Perhaps the half-disassembled, tarped-over outbound head house directly across the street from this one that has been "on hold pending MBTA review" for the past umpteen months? (these sites are not updated often, but both mention pending MBTA approval: BXP & Cambridge Redev. Authority)

(Approximate) current state:
ksq-mb-ob-1.png

From google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/1ZjgNN1dPTohxsZW9

...Versus, here is what it is supposed to become per design render from architect's site (Pickard Chilton):
1715_N254_webslider.jpg

Both this inbound headhouse (which actually got built) and the outbound one that is stalled are public-private projects with developer and MBTA components, and MBTA as design approver. For some reason the inbound one cruised ahead ostensibly on schedule and the outbound one did not. I have not seen any publicly posted documentation explaining the holdup.

Last edited:
Two of the great flaws of the MBTA public/private partnerships for station rehab are 1) the lack of transparency about delays (common) and 2) lack of contingency plans in case of developer failures that leave the shitty station in place for decades (Hynes looking at you :( ).

Three or more stations still look like crumbling crap. Hynes, Boylston, Bowden & Symphony. Symphony just got approved for a redo. And why the hell is the escalator at Bowden still not working? I have to go that way when I have appointments at the eye doctor's office. From the looks of it, it has been not working for eons!! :mad:

Three or more stations still look like crumbling crap. Hynes, Boylston, Bowden & Symphony. Symphony just got approved for a redo. And why the hell is the escalator at Bowden still not working? I have to go that way when I have appointments at the eye doctor's office. From the looks of it, it has been not working for eons!! :mad:

The T frequently seems quite sluggish on escalator repairs. I don't know if that's an in-house thing or a contractor thing. It definitely seems like it's lower on the priority list than elevator outages (which is understandable, given that elevator outages tend to make stations completely inaccessible). Part of me wonders if they have a priority list for repairs (and Bowdoin, being a low-ridership non-transfer station probably doesn't get very high priority, kind of like the other cruddy stations mentioned.)

The T frequently seems quite sluggish on escalator repairs. I don't know if that's an in-house thing or a contractor thing. It definitely seems like it's lower on the priority list than elevator outages (which is understandable, given that elevator outages tend to make stations completely inaccessible). Part of me wonders if they have a priority list for repairs (and Bowdoin, being a low-ridership non-transfer station probably doesn't get very high priority, kind of like the other cruddy stations mentioned.)

Yup! The four stations that I mentioned also are NOT ADA compliant at all. They really could stand makeovers. Hynes is or was supposed to be given a facelift soon, given that the area over the Mass. Pike is getting 2 new towers (which are u/c now). Bowden has one side of the platform accepting 6-car trains, but the other side isn't. Only four cars can fit on the outbound side. :unsure:

Yup! The four stations that I mentioned also are NOT ADA compliable at all. They really could stand makeovers. Hynes is or was supposed to be given a facelift soon, given that the area over the Mass. Pike is getting 2 new towers (which are u/c now). :unsure:
Bowdoin is also supposed to be demolished as part of Red Blue connector. The MBTA has said that Boylston can’t be made ADA compliant because of the historical commission.

At least put an elevator in there so that disabled passengers aren't forced to walk to either Park Street or Arlington. :unsure:

Perhaps the half-disassembled, tarped-over outbound head house directly across the street from this one that has been "on hold pending MBTA review" for the past umpteen months? (these sites are not updated often, but both mention pending MBTA approval: BXP & Cambridge Redev. Authority)

(Approximate) current state:
View attachment 33612
From google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/1ZjgNN1dPTohxsZW9

...Versus, here is what it is supposed to become per design render from architect's site (Pickard Chilton):
1715_N254_webslider.jpg

Both this inbound headhouse (which actually got built) and the outbound one that is stalled are public-private projects with developer and MBTA components, and MBTA as design approver. For some reason the inbound one cruised ahead ostensibly on schedule and the outbound one did not. I have not seen any publicly posted documentation explaining the holdup.

A headhouse will also be put in this building at the base for Hynes.
Proposed hotel..jpeg

Ah, would have to be the new headhouse going in on Seaport BLVD, near the intersection with Boston Wharf Rd. Haven't seen any pictures underground but surface activity has been going on for awhile.

Well, @ Courthouse this is more like waterproofing and a lot of it is on the existing head house end

Last edited:
Don’t want to estimate too aggressively but it looks like the inbound Kendall head house is going to open imminently. I couldn’t get a pic since the train was arriving but the plywood barriers have been taken down, and despite a fence and some meshing you can see right through to the escalators in the new head house. Elevators have been testing for at least a few weeks so it seems like it could be any day.

On the outbound side it seems like maybe the new Google building might serve as a head house but can’t be sure and frustratingly can’t find anything official about the plans there.

Don’t want to estimate too aggressively but it looks like the inbound Kendall head house is going to open imminently. I couldn’t get a pic since the train was arriving but the plywood barriers have been taken down, and despite a fence and some meshing you can see right through to the escalators in the new head house. Elevators have been testing for at least a few weeks so it seems like it could be any day. On the outbound side it seems like maybe the new Google building might serve as a head house but can’t be sure and frustratingly can’t find anything official about the plans there.

As discussed upthread (Post #1,604), the outbound headhouse is part of Boston Properties' 325 Main project (in collaboration w/ MBTA). I don't have time to dig them up, but I recall the designs were part of the submittal package for 325 Main. However, the new outbound head house is not inside the Google building; it is outside on the plaza on the same footprint as the current headhouse. See the image I just posted in Post #1,604. Here's the architect's site for the project (scroll till you see the head house).

Also mentioned in my prior post, both the City and Developer note waiting on MBTA review in their latest (outdated) status briefs.

Cool thanks. Presumably that means Kendall will have only one exit on the outbound side while they rework the new head house since it’s on the same footprint. The old one is such an eyesore, it’ll be great to see it replaced.

There’s additional work on the Main St side of 325 that looked like a new opening/entry, so we’ll see what ends up there. Don’t think a commercial tenant has been named for that space yet.

There’s additional work on the Main St side of 325 that looked like a new opening/entry, so we’ll see what ends up there. Don’t think a commercial tenant has been named for that space yet.

Yes, it has been announced. It will be a food hall / "Kendall Public Market." The construction work and entry way are for that. See the presentation linked here:
Last item:
MXD Innovation Space Compliance Presentation

^Scroll all the way to the end (Section III):
kpm_mxd-2.png

Back