MBTA Fare System (Charlie, AFC 2.0, Zone, Discounts)

Speaking as an NYC commuter, all I've wanted is to have an equivalent of the Charlie Card. The ease of pulling my whole wallet out and tapping it was perfect.

Someone explain how we destroyed such a quick and simple process that systems around the world have implemented and turned it into a 6 year catastrophe. How. Why.

Fare+Transformation+Timeline.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Because we didn’t use Cubic last time, and S&B and Cubic hate each other?

HelloBoston -- there's no legitimate reason why you need to contact the reader -- proximity works fine
I keep my Charlie inside my wallet and just wave the wallet within a few mm of the reader -- never have a problem
This doesn't work for those of us with wallets with RFID protection embedded within.

This doesn't work for those of us with wallets with RFID protection embedded within.
My solution: affix a radio-transparent outer pouch to the outside of my wallet.

I figure that it was my job (not the T's) to accommodate my RFID paranoia.

Now, I have the best of both worlds: my credit cards are protected and my charlie card is readable (and, better, does not conflict with my other cards)

Despite looking cheap and oddly-rigged, it Has lasted really well since Nov 2017 on the outside of my wallet (still solidly attached, no rips)

Some wallets come with a card sleeve built on the outside and some wallets, like my husband's, a detached card sleeve that you can just use it by itself and/or can have it flip outside the wallet

Someone explain how we destroyed such a quick and simple process that systems around the world have implemented and turned it into a 6 year catastrophe. How. Why.

Fare+Transformation+Timeline.png

How heavy is piloting and testing required with this stuff? This isn't like our new OL/RL cars, where they're entirely different animals. This technology exists all over the place and in some of the largest pulic transit systems worldwide. Why is a year of piloting scheduled, followed by a year long rollout on TWO lines? Phase 2 and 3 should be together, with pilot testing of next generation readers accelerated instead of improved reliability of subway gates that will last for 4 years. There's no reason both phases should take a year each.

1 billion? Why not 2 billion? Hell, make it 5 billion. Its not like there are more pressing needs in the system.

Given COVID-19, considerations, is this a fully contactless payment system?
While I think the idea that COVID will push us to a fully contactless payment future laughable, yes the new system can be used fully contactless with just a contactless credit/debit card, or a CharlieCard and online account management. Lets be realistic though, if you're riding public transit, touching the screens or putting cash into a FVM is probably the least of your worries.

While I think the idea that COVID will push us to a fully contactless payment future laughable, yes the new system can be used fully contactless with just a contactless credit/debit card, or a CharlieCard and online account management. Lets be realistic though, if you're riding public transit, touching the screens or putting cash into a FVM is probably the least of your worries.
Laughable? I'd say reasonable. I'm sure that the payments community is already planning to make your next credit card touchless, even if your current plastic isn't. Tech like this transitions very quickly from "mind blowing" to "commonly possible" to "mandatory"

And who is going to use a FVM in a tap-to-pay world? It was very nice on my recent NYC & London trips to not have to worry about FVMs or fare media, but to just tap my Chase Visa.

But, I will say, that the yellow grab bars struck me as germtastic the first time I saw them, knowing, as I do that most bare metal surfaces are naturally germicidal, I was disappointed to see paint.

Actually touching a surface that has been touched by literally every passenger boarding is the highest of your worries in a pandemic world. That is why handwashing is such a mantra in public health circles.

Any point of contact is a point of contact. So, this is not laughable at all. Whether or not it is the highest used point of contact is immaterial. EVERY point of contact counts.

If people wear gloves, then sure , use the hand rails. If you sit on the seat, then later throw the pants in the wash.

Contactless fare system is a valuable piece of the puzzle. It also reduces foot traffic jams.

The most important word for humanity over the next several months/years is going to be "Confidence". Any Governor who opens up a state for business and declares the crisis over is piffle. It only matters if the general public has CONFIDENCE to use the transit systems/hotels/restaurants/offices, etc. There's no amount of snake oil salesmanship that will overcome that. Real Progress Talks and Bullshit Walks.

Wait, isn't the current Charlie Card system already touchless?

Are these just the machines that sat unused on the D-line for 10 years?

Back