MCCA Hotels: Aloft & Element | 371-401 D Street | South Boston

16390627689_bab12ff570_c.jpg
[/url]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/beelinebos/16390627689/

Look at that streetwall. Nothing excites me more about new development than an emerging streetwall. This was a wasteland just a couple years ago and now it's slowly shaping up.

Thanks for the grand tour, BeeLine.

Look at that streetwall. Nothing excites me more about new development than an emerging streetwall. This was a wasteland just a couple years ago and now it's slowly shaping up.

It's true - last night I drove down D Street, and was first time felt like a proper city street, and not an urban desert. I hope it continues all the way down to West 1st, and then more infill behind D.

It's true - last night I drove down D Street, and was first time felt like a proper city street, and not an urban desert. I hope it continues all the way down to West 1st, and then more infill behind D.

Pappas owns most, if not all the land from E St east to the channel. Does anyone know what their plans are?

That statement sounds profound -- but in reality its much less than it seems

That area wasn't an urban desert it was an urban support area -- not every block in the city of Boston needs to be a copy of Beacon Street from Arlington to Berkeley or Newburry from the Taj to Shreve's

Somewhere you need to have a place where you can get service for a refrigerated truck, or replacement light bulbs, wholesale cleaning supplies. None of us want these near to us -- but they are part of the city. A lot of these kind of places were located in the vicinity of the Papas and other warehouses. Now they will move along just because these kinds of uses have to inhabit places where the land is relatively cheaper -- Now possibly Readville.

That statement sounds profound -- but in reality its much less than it seems

That area wasn't an urban desert it was an urban support area -- not every block in the city of Boston needs to be a copy of Beacon Street from Arlington to Berkeley or Newburry from the Taj to Shreve's

Somewhere you need to have a place where you can get service for a refrigerated truck, or replacement light bulbs, wholesale cleaning supplies. None of us want these near to us -- but they are part of the city. A lot of these kind of places were located in the vicinity of the Papas and other warehouses. Now they will move along just because these kinds of uses have to inhabit places where the land is relatively cheaper -- Now possibly Readville.

+1. I love it when I can agree wholeheartedly with you haha.

Nope. Where the hotels are going up wasn't an urban support area. No refrigerated trucks or replacement lightbulbs were to be found there. Just weeds as far as the eye could see.

D%20St%20-%20200908-02.jpg

Pappas owns most, if not all the land from E St east to the channel. Does anyone know what their plans are?

The majority of the parcels between E and the Reserve Channel are owned by Massport and the Federal Government. Long-term land leases to Pappas and others are just a land-bank use until development pressures push across E Street.

Isn't some of that land supposedly where USPS would move to?

The development pressure from the South Station CoDevelopment would have to dislodge the current USPS building from its prime Channel-front location. That shouldn't be too difficult.

The development pressure from the South Station CoDevelopment would have to dislodge the current USPS building from its prime Channel-front location. That shouldn't be too difficult.

I know that USPS is slow-walking, but South Station Expansion will happen in the next ten years and the Post Office will have to move. It's just a matter of bureaucratic negotiation.

I know that USPS is slow-walking, but South Station Expansion will happen in the next ten years and the Post Office will have to move. It's just a matter of bureaucratic negotiation.

I understand the CoDevelopment opportunity must go hand-in-hand with the Station Expansion. Frankly, I'm shocked its taken this long. Development is moving down D Street well before the Channel has been fully developed.

Nope. Where the hotels are going up wasn't an urban support area. No refrigerated trucks or replacement lightbulbs were to be found there. Just weeds as far as the eye could see.

D%20St%20-%20200908-02.jpg

XEC -- Only Recently has it been unused

I know about the truck maintenance facility because I took a truck there [ThermoKing] as part of some of the research which I was engaged with while I was at Lincoln circa mid 1980's

Take a look at old Aerial Photos with views toward the Army Base -- Since the land near Summer and D was filled [beginning in the mid 1800's and continuing as recently as WWII] -- none of that was ever for any significant period of time without any obvious function - i.e. weeds and fences

Some of it was used as a Highway maintenance truck facility, and so might have held a big pile of salt [1973 photo] https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:bk128b42v

Later a number of the parcels in that area were used as staging for the Big Dig which was ripping its way through the area as I-90 heading for the Ted Williams Tunnel

OK, but Bos77's comment was about what D street is like today, not what it was like years ago.

Back