MCCA Hotels: Aloft & Element | 371-401 D Street | South Boston

it would have been cool if most/much of the seaport got divided up into blocks the size of this building...

Fucking expansion joints. Is real bricklaying really THAT much more expensive? I watched them do it for the Urban Outfitters building in Allston only a few years back, and that's about as spec as you can get.

So far I'm really digging the building, though. The massing is prefect and restrained, and the pop of color is welcome, and has just the right touch of Mad Men-ness. Granted, how it looks once the bay windows go in will make or break it.

Oh my. Is this the reincarnation of "The Purple Hotel?"

article-blog-image-01.jpg

If you do not know this story, you should check it out. It is a wild story. There is also a great 99% Invisible podcast about it. (If you do not know 99% Invisible you are really missing out.

This just proves that all things come back around. This glazed brick stay is hitting its 40 year cycle.

cca

Re: MCCA Hotels: Aloft & Element | 371-401 D Street | Seaport

I know it's not done, but Aloft sure looks to be a far cry from this:

BCECHotelsrend3.jpg

Guess I'll have to wait and see before I can be truly disappointed.

The gross expansion joints aside, this is a shaping up to be a winner.

Guess they figured no one would ever look at the back of these buildings...

Yes ... the back is awkward at best. A strange place to stop the glazed brick.

cca

I wonder how long those parcels with the trucks will remain...seems like the land would be extremely valuable to a developer, and from a selfish point of view would be great to have both sides of D street activated with a continue streetwall from Summer all the way down to 1st street.

Is there any money going towards improving Cypher St in the future, at the very least in the BCEC expansion? Place is a wasteland. I walk there every time I take photos of these two buildings.

18144547775_ccef015050_z.jpg

17956676768_c9a5cd5585_z.jpg

18118081636_70122ef041_z.jpg

Back