MCCA Hotels: Aloft & Element | 371-401 D Street | South Boston

What about the IndyCar people? Would they want it cleaned up in time for the race?

I think it makes Waterside Place look like a work of art. The blue "graphics" are hideous and ill-conceived. The rear end looks like a mental ward, prison, post-war public housing project or 70s era state university dorm. This should be on the schedule for worst new building of 2015. I live in the neighborhood and am a staunch advocate for development but wish this one just crumbled apart on a sunday afternoon so they could start over again.

It looks less like a hotel (or any building that services humans) and more like a temporary "life-size" lego display. For all the wrong reasons.

I really, really like this, but the boxy protrusions on the front side of the facade seem like a useless distraction. They take away from the clean lines and break up the facade in a very unnecessary way.

The rear of the building cheapens out so suddenly and so poorly that it reminds me of a McMansion - brick on the front and cheap vinyl everywhere else.

I understand the practical cost reasons why this would be done, but it cheapens the building immeasurably and is just as disappointing as it is on the hotel by the Barking Crab.

Looking great, and I'm thrilled to think that there is going to be a whole new group of life and retail along this stretch.

Mmm. Up close, looks as though they are prepping that area for the exits from the hotel.

The lot next door was supposed to be a 1,350-car parking garage, built as part of the BCEC expansion, but presumably not going to be built, now. There seems to be some surface work going on over there; perhaps that will be a (ugh) surface lot for the hotels? (Although, the hotels have their own parking garage.)

I was also going to comment about that. You just can't say anything is "guaranteed" until the day the building is finished, yes finished, not even just under construction. The MCCA hotels are likely to be abandoned and not fitted out inside until funding is re-appropriated. This is a highly volatile industry. The plug can get pulled at any point.

So not to derail the Congress St. thread, Data, are these the hotels you're referring to?

I was also going to comment about that. You just can't say anything is "guaranteed" until the day the building is finished, yes finished, not even just under construction. The MCCA hotels are likely to be abandoned and not fitted out inside until funding is re-appropriated. This is a highly volatile industry. The plug can get pulled at any point.

So not to derail the Congress St. thread, Data, are these the hotels you're referring to?

Yes.

Back