Menino vs Chick-fil-a

Re: The New Retail Thread

Initially, I had the same feeling. Then I remembered that this is about civil rights, and not the usual Menino micro-management.

Civil rights? I don't get this statement. Do people not have the freedom to have their own beliefs, even if you or I don't agree with them? You're fighting for a freedom by suppressing another freedom?

This was a bad PR move by Menino, and sends a bad vibe to the business community-which, lets face it, is another knock against the city and state that they just don't need right now.

You're fighting for a freedom by suppressing another freedom

I think we'll be able to survive as a free society even if the cavemen among us can't continue dictating who can and can't get married.

I think we'll be able to survive as a free society even if the cavemen among us can't continue dictating who can and can't get married.

So you insult someone because they don't agree with you?

Chick-Fil-A isn't dictating who and can't get married-they're merely stating their beliefs. Only the government can.

=Chick-Fil-A isn't dictating who and can't get married-they're merely stating their beliefs.

They're merely stating their beliefs by spending millions of dollars in an effort to dictate who can and can't get married. If they want to be left alone with their ignorance, they can always save themselves the money and hold onto the cash.

They're merely stating their beliefs by spending millions of dollars in an effort to dictate who can and can't get married. If they want to be left alone with their ignorance, they can always save themselves the money and hold onto the cash.

Exactly. They talk the talk AND walk the walk. If the CEO just babbled on all day about how he thinks the precious sanctity of marriage is threatened and didn't donate then it would be a different story. Even though he and his company are not directly discriminating their customers and employees at franchises, they are partaking in furthering discrimination at a much larger scale.

Maybe next we can purge all the VC's, business executives, lawyers, doctors and entrepreneurs who've supported Republican political candidates. That ought to bring Boston right up to the standard of your beloved Berlin and it's status as the social welfare capital of Western Europe.

I do think that even though the gay rights issue is important, the most important factor is that the store isn't even open on Sundays. The Faneuil Hall area can't afford another dead fast-food joint on Sunday. (The loss of McDonalds didn't help this situation either) All of the 123 Center Plaza shops are closed as well.

Calling out an organization working for systematic oppression is the same thing as a political purge how exactly?

Maybe next we can purge all the VC's, business executives, lawyers, doctors and entrepreneurs who've supported Republican political candidates. That ought to bring Boston right up to the standard of your beloved Berlin and it's status as the social welfare capital of Western Europe.

To purge is to eliminate something that exists. You can't purge Chik-fil-a from the city if it doesn't exist.

Frankly, again, I think the people should decide, not the mayor.

How about we put it this way?

How would you guys feel if Chik-fil-a were associated with and funded groups that are for Sharia law? The mayor shouldn't have the right to decide to do business or not. The people should be the one to decide. It's obvious that voting for whether a restaurant should do business or not sounds ridiculous but if a large number of protests are staged against it, then the city should ban Chik-fil from the city.

I support the freedom for people to speak their minds, even if I don't agree with them. I also agree with Kent, the people should decide, not the mayor. The best way to voice your displeasure is to not spend money in their establishments.

The CEO (and founder) of Whole Foods came out against Obamacare. Does that mean that he is ignorant for not believing what others do?

You guys are funny. You try to criticize what Menino - an elected official - is doing as mere political grandstanding, while simultaneously urging that "the people" be allowed to decide instead. If you believe that Menino is merely playing politics, then shouldn't you also expect "the peoples'" judgment on Chik-fil-A to be the same one Menino is trying to latch onto?

No, what you guys are really saying is that the economic "right" to receive a license to operate a business in a particular location within a particular local municipality is more fundamental than the right against discrimination on account of a trait that one is in no way responsible for. This is a view I just can't wrap my mind around.

And why the assumption that Menino can somehow manipulate the licensing board and deny any disfavored restaurant operator its permits? Why isn't Menino just "expressing his opinion" about Chik-fil-a? You guys are that cynical about executive power yet give Chik-fil-a the complete benefit of the doubt about its hiring practices despite its multimillion dollar anti-gay campaigning?

The CEO (and founder) of Whole Foods came out against Obamacare. Does that mean that he is ignorant for not believing what others do?

ACA is a policy position. Being gay isn't. Reasonable people can argue about policy positions, but if you discriminate against a class of people for something they can't help, then you're a bigot.

You guys are funny. You try to criticize what Menino - an elected official - is doing as mere political grandstanding, while simultaneously urging that "the people" be allowed to decide instead. If you believe that Menino is merely playing politics, then shouldn't you also expect "the peoples'" judgment on Chik-fil-A to be the same one Menino is trying to latch onto?

I'm not criticizing him on where he stands. I'm criticizing the fact that he believes he has to power to decide which establishment can do business in Boston. That's a power that no one person should be allowed to wield. As I stated earlier, I stand by his opinion but I also believe that Menino does not have the right to ban businesses unless it's outright illegal.

No, what you guys are really saying is that the economic "right" to receive a license to operate a business in a particular location within a particular local municipality is more fundamental than the right against discrimination on account of a trait that one is in no way responsible for. This is a view I just can't wrap my mind around.

Take another perspective then. Technically, by banning Chick-fil-a, you're discriminating against a firm on account of their beliefs. By doing so, this could lead to a slippery slope where other firms are banned from the city for various reasons. For example, why not ban McDonald's or Burger King, or any other restaurants that serve meat because they pay the meat industry to kill animals for our consumption, something vegetarians and vegans oppose to.

And why the assumption that Menino can somehow manipulate the licensing board and deny any disfavored restaurant operator its permits? Why isn't Menino just "expressing his opinion" about Chik-fil-a? You guys are that cynical about executive power yet give Chik-fil-a the complete benefit of the doubt about its hiring practices despite its multimillion dollar anti-gay campaigning?

Frankly I don't know if he can manipulate but the fact that his comment seems to imply that he will do whatever is within his power to ban them is troubling. If he is only expressing his opinion, then that's fine. It's when he takes further step to personally ban it is the problem.

Again, I'll point to Northeastern University as an example. Northeastern initially approved having Chick-Fil-A operating at Curry Student Center but that decision was overturned when the Student Body Government voted against it. If Bostonians really do not want Chick-Fil-A, they can and will petition for a ban. They do not need the mayor to control which company can do business in the city.

ACA is a policy position. Being gay isn't. Reasonable people can argue about policy positions, but if you discriminate against a class of people for something they can't help, then you're a bigot.

I'm not arguing for discrimination, I'm arguing for the freedom for people to freely speak their mind, and the freedom to operate within the rights set forth by the Constitution. I don't agree with Chick-Fil-La and their founder, but I certainly respect their rights to believe and say what they believe that are afforded to them under the law-but I also believe that patrons have the right to not support them in by not visiting their restaurants.

Kent summed up the rest of my views. I would also argue that health care is certainly a rights issue.

Let's put it this way: if Vertex was anti-gay marriage, Menino wouldn't stop them from moving from Kendall to the Seaport. He'd roll right over.

He's politicking.

I'm not arguing for discrimination, I'm arguing for the freedom for people to freely speak their mind, and the freedom to operate within the rights set forth by the Constitution.

There's a difference between free speech and actively spending money to discriminate though, right? What if Burger King was funding human trafficking? Just let it happen as freedom of speech? Of course not. I'd expect Menino to say something then too.

There's a difference between free speech and actively spending money to discriminate though, right? What if Burger King was funding human trafficking? Just let it happen as freedom of speech? Of course not. I'd expect Menino to say something then too.

That's a bad comparison considering that human trafficking is illegal. But then again, I'm almost 100% sure many of these chain restaurants does something illegal like using illegal labor but nobody seems to be doing anything.

Upper Crust Pizza looks like they are still doing well.

The Onion - July 24, 2012 | ISSUE 48•30
Chick-Fil-A Debuts New Homophobic Sandwich
'Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu' Goes On Sale Wednesday

ATLANTA—As part of its recent efforts to publicly align itself with fundamentalist Christian values, the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain announced today the debut of its new Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu sandwich that would be on sale in all of the company's 1,600 restaurants this Wednesday.

In a press conference to reporters, company representatives said the homophobic new sandwich will include the national fast food chain’s trademark fried chicken filet wrapped in a piece of specially-smoked No Homo ham that would be topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and lathered in a creamy new Thousand Island-based Fag Punching sauce.

"The Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu is our company's way of showing our firm commitment to strong, Christian family values," said Chick-fil-A spokesman Robert Gary, before adding that the vehemently anti-gay rights sandwich comes served in a combo with waffle fries and a medium soda for just $6.95. "From the very first morsel of this savory meal to the very last bite, customers can envision gays burning in hell with their sodomizing cohorts, and know that our sandwich is on their side.”

"Of course, the young ones will want to finish their meals off right with a No Fudge Packin' Soft Serve Cone," Gary added. "I can't think of a better way to follow up a sandwich this good."

While the release of the Queer-Hatin’ Cordon Bleu has led to anger from pro-gay rights groups, loyal Chick-fil-A customers claim they are happy they can finally enjoy a sandwich that takes a firm stance on the issue of homosexuality.

"Any sandwich that combines that great Chick-fil-A flavor with a hefty dose of vitriolic homophobia is definitely going to keep me coming back for more," said Atlanta customer John Oaks. “Come Wednesday, I’m going to be first in line for this thing.”

According to sources, the Queer-Hatin’ Cordon Bleu is merely the first of Chick-fil-A’s new family values menu which is set to include the AIDS Is God’s Curse chicken nugget combo and the Fags Caused 9/11 strawberry fruit smoothie.

Back