MetroMark Apartments (née The Commons @ FH) | 3593-3615 Washington St | Jamaica Plain

Re: The Commons at Forest Hills | 3593-3615 Washington St | Jamaica Plain

This is now well under construction. I did not snap a picture, but it's certainly farther along than this:

The Commons at Forest Hills Station Rises

July - The amount of construction going on around Forest Hills is staggering. As the Casey Overpass is demolished, next door the elevator shaft for The Commons at Forest Hills Station, a 280-unit apartment complex at New Washington and Washington streets, has been rising.

A reminder: this is a huge, and truly transit-oriented mixed-use development taking place near Forest Hills Station. It's the biggest development in JP right now.

This project is now being called MetroMark:

http://www.metromarkapts.com/

Construction progress at Metromark Apartments in Jamaica Plain

Construction is underway at Metromark Apartments in Jamaica Plain, a 283-unit mixed-use development for The Brennan Group and John M. Corcoran Company, with wood framing nearing completion at Building A (pictured above). The concrete and steel podium construction is in progress at Building B, above which wood framing will begin in the upcoming weeks.

As a moderate market rate project, Metromark is the only one of its kind in the City. The project not only leverages the proximity of public transportation, but will become an anchor in an area previously without sidewalk activation or a clear sense of place. With the recent removal of the Casey overpass, the project provides the critical “stepping stone” to restoring continuity along Washington Street.

The development team is targeting initial occupancy beginning in summer 2016 and final completion in early spring 2017. Metromark features ground level retail, extensive roof decks, and amenity spaces, and is conveniently located adjacent to the Forest Hills MBTA station as well as some of Boston’s largest green spaces.

From way down Hyde Park Ave:
2irrkm1.jpg

From the Bus Yard:
2ijrfxz.jpg

A half covered mock-up (really makes me wonder about those white trimmed windows with black brick - if only that damned banner wasn't there...):
124hj42.jpg

Re: MetroMark Apartments (née The Commons @ FH) | 3593-3615 Washington St | Jamaica P

Damn this is massive! Awesome!

Re: MetroMark Apartments (née The Commons @ FH) | 3593-3615 Washington St | Jamaica P

Utile's website has some other renders that I haven't seen (great site in general for many projects, actually) but the one that takes the cake is this:
Metromark-Aerial.jpg

If you look closely, you should be able to figure it out

If you look closely, you should be able to figure it out

Ahh the MBTA. That was a dumb question. However that parking lot is such a waste of space in its current form. Hopefully the Baker and Walsh administration will adhere to their pro-development policies and sell parcels like this to developers.

Looking at it through street-view it looks like the lot is a maintenance yard for MBTA buses.

One of those appears to be filled with MBTA busses so I would guess the MBTA owns the upper one with all the busses.

^I ask this only semi-rhetorically; does the MBTA really need all that land?

Probably not and this is really the kind of thing I hope Baker starts getting involved in. The T should be working to maximize it's land holdings by converting it into recurring lease revenue.

Same feeling I have about the more urban parts of the Southwest Rail Corridor which should all be decked and filled with 20-30 story apartment blocks.

Probably not and this is really the kind of thing I hope Baker starts getting involved in. The T should be working to maximize it's land holdings by converting it into recurring lease revenue.

Same feeling I have about the more urban parts of the Southwest Rail Corridor which should all be decked and filled with 20-30 story apartment blocks.

Deck the Mass Pike first. The orange line and surrounding streets would have a hard time absorbing all of that added density.

Deck the Mass Pike first. The orange line and surrounding streets would have a hard time absorbing all of that added density.

It seems like decking The Pike is way more complicated and expensive, first because it's operating 24/7/365 without a couple hours of downtime and second because it's a much larger canyon.

I'm not a civil engineer though, so who knows?

Remember that this is just a temporary bus facility (though it's been temporary for a longgggg time). This was the old trolley yard for the E trolleys when they ran all the way to Arborway/Forest Hills. After the Bartlett Yard (bus facility) was closed and sold off for redevelopment, they built a temporary facility at Arborway since they ended up not needing it since they were no longer restoring Green Line service. Half of the property was supposed to be sold off for development a decade ago (the Washington St frontage) and a new permanent bus depot built near 500 Arborway. They couldn't afford the new facility so they are in a holding pattern.
http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2014/06/06/the-ts-arborway-yard-plan-a-recap/
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/67cdd1e3-b0b5-4d49-91d4-b7e83945ddc4

Wow I didnt know about this. This looks like exactly the type of transit oriented development we need.

MeddlePal -- Why is there this all consuming obsessive desire to spend money on decking things when there are plenty of vacant or near vacant lots along the Southwest Corridor which can be built upon without any extra cost

Back