MGH Museum/History Center

Jackson

Reaction score
Did a search but couldn't find anything:

BRA board approves MGH History Center & Museum

The Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) board of directors unanimously approved the proposed $8.25 million Massachusetts General Hospital Museum & History Center last week.

The 8,000 square-foot, two story building will feature a rooftop terrace and be located at the corner of Cambridge and North Grove streets, adjacent to the Resident Physician?s House. The space will be dedicated to museum exhibitions, and also used for accommodating occasional lectures, seminars and receptions.

Construction is scheduled to begin in the fourth quarter of this year, with an expected completion date of the fourth quarter of 2011 to mark the hospital?s 200th anniversary.

?It will be a nice way to celebrate 200 years in the city, and to educate people about the hospital?s history,? BRA spokesperson Jessica Shumaker said.

MGH Interim Museum Director Peter Johnson points out that the new space won?t be used solely to showcase hospital relics.

?The idea for the museum is to do much more than present historic artifacts,? Johnson said. ?Instead, we?ll connect these artifacts to what?s going on at the hospital now.?

MGH Project Manager Hubert Murray added, ?It?s a real opportunity to explain the complexities of modern medicine to an interested public.?

Hospital officials said the building is also designed as a new gateway to Cambridge Street, as well as to the MGH campus.

?The museum will be a recognizable building that will fulfill the role of being a portal to the campus,? Hubert said.

Beacon Hill Times

Rendering:

01N09302010.jpg

I kinda like the concept. A small medical museum near one of the nation's nest hospitals.

Overall I view this project as a nice filler piece, both in terms of architecture and use. It's not an amazing attraction, but it's certainly not worthless by any stretch of the imagination. Architecturally, looking at the rendering (which is certainly limited), it doesn't look awful, but it's not an eyesore.

On the positive side, I like the mix of what appears to be brick and glass. It looks like it will blend in well. However, I think that the glass top looks a bit awkward. Does it really need to be there for the pavilion on the roof?

Where are the stairs? Like how will people go from floor-to-floor?

I was recently at the School of Public Health in Witwatersrand (RSA) and they have an interesting museum with timelines of "health through the ages" that credits MGH with lots of amazing "firsts". This should be a good museum.

I'm guessing they are replacing the windows in the JFK building. You can see the difference on the lower rows of windows.

Bangalore and Hyderbad are serious competition for 'Medical Tourism" -- everywhere you go you see billboards advertising (Heart, Liver, Eye, hospitals and a few others)

Boston needs some medical billboards -- "Boston where modern surgery began and where we can still remove your wallet almost painlessly and before you notice" -- any other suggestions (LOL)

St. Elizabeth's in Brighton Center has a digital billboard advertising the ER wait time! It's usually less than 3 minutes, and sometimes 0!

(I assume though that this is the time to see a triage nurse who will tell you to please have a seat for an unspecified wait time afterwards! Maybe I'm wrong though. Truth in advertising?)

St. Elizabeth's in Brighton Center has a digital billboard advertising the ER wait time! It's usually less than 3 minutes, and sometimes 0!

(I assume though that this is the time to see a triage nurse who will tell you to please have a seat for an unspecified wait time afterwards! Maybe I'm wrong though. Truth in advertising?)

lol drove by there the other night and it was at 57 minutes.

I'm not sure -- but I think that I saw a message board in Hyderabad quoting the going rate for selling a lung or kidney

Back