Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Hayward Place

There is no need for a setback at this location. A narrow streetwall corridor is much more dynamic, and certainly will not looked cramped. Case in point, London, or the North End.

There is already a setback and small plaza just down the street at Washington/Essex across from the DMV that is not used to its potential.

I am going to be very unpopular saying this, but building there will make that area/street corner exceptionally cramped. That's a very narrow street and to me, that plot is perfect for a small park to accentuate the theater row across the street.

I'm not one of those "greenspace" crazies, but I feel that particular location could benefit from one.

JMHO. Fire away, I'll duck.

A small park in that area would be a perfect hangout for drug dealers and the homeless.

^^ Just walked by; the lack of a small park isn't keeping them away.

I think of a small setback as a good place to put cafe tables in nice weather, so people can eat outdoors before or after going to the theatres.

I think of a small setback as a good place to put cafe tables in nice weather, so people can eat outdoors before or after going to the theatres.

I agree. It would even be a nice space just to view the beautiful theatre. The parking lot that is there now offers these kinds of views from afar.

I don't think there needs to be a set back. Does the roadway really need to be 3 lanes? Make it two lanes and have a wider sidewalk.

I agree. Bina is right across the street and is a pleasant sidewalk dining experience in spite of the parking lot view. Picturing two al fresco joints facing one another, both with views of theater goers, the theaters themselves, and the hotels would be a nice intersection.

Setbacks are not necessary to create a vibrant cafe culture. Quite the contrary, in fact:
patio-heaters-1.jpg

The thing is that a setback would allow program to occur without the actual need for program to be embedded into the streetwall of the building. As we all know, the ground floor isn't programmed for an eating establishment. With a general setback, seating could be placed and the space would be useful before a show at the theatre across the street for people who were eating take-out or wanted to rest, but still be close.

It would be better to drop a lane of traffic and widen the sidewalk rather than set back the street wall for the entire length of the lot.

Perhaps, but this is already a pretty narrow street, and has to accommodate big Silver Line buses.

If anything they need to widen the street just past Hayward Place where it turns into a 1 lane street. Every time I walk pass that area, it's clogged up by the Silver Line, and building a new mix used development here will increase the congestion a little.

Then make it a bus-only street

Guys,

A lot of the same arguments keep being re-argued in different threads -- let's set up some threads where anyone who wants to argue about the following can do so separably from these various projects:
1) biking, walking and T in versus car-ing
2) to have an underground garage and the necessary curb cuts or not
3) whether the street should be limited to buses or not
4) how wide the sidewalks should be
5) why the current site should be used for something else

None of the above are going to change from what has been planned, and construction launched so -- let's not fill all of the discussions of specific new projects with the repeats of old arguments

Specifically for those of you worried about needing parking in a residential tower -- a lot of the people in these towers commute to work on foot, some take the T -- very few drive to work -- yet a lot of them want a car to drive to: (Vt, NH, ME Mountains for skiing, Cape for swimming or weekending, Berkshires for Tanglewood, etc) -- since you can't get to these places any other way -- you drive -- ergo most people want to have a car --although ZipCar is making some inroads

On the other hand so far -- most of the new places of business such as the Innovation District need garages because while some will walk to work or take the T a lot will drive from suburbs where they live. If you want to fundamentally alter this -- then you need to provide places where young families would want to live inside the city and these places need to be accessible to the places of business without the need for a car.

The latter my friends are all major long-term projects as they involve transit, schools, local shopping which the typical suburban family is used to having a short drive away -- being created in the middle of the city or in one of the new districts where the T is already located or is easily extended such as Sommerville

from the Herald:

construction of Hayward Place, a $200 million residential project in Downtown Crossing scheduled to break ground in two weeks across from the Paramount Theater, will bring 243 units of housing and more vibrancy to the retail district.

Link

WTF is all I have to say.

Maybe Kensington fell through (at least for now) so this was able to jump back up again?

Or the parking attendant just didn't know what he's talking about.

Why would there be a dependency between the Kensington project and this one? Is there a shortage of building contractors locally?

Why would there be a dependency between the Kensington project and this one? Is there a shortage of building contractors locally?
I think it had to do with construction blocking street lanes.

Back