Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Hayward Place

Construction staging wouldn't work with those two sites working simultaneously. Avenue DeLafayette and Chauncy Street could be used for staging the trucks and equipment. However that would require up to a two year closure.

Not something the abutters would be too happy with.

These projects are two blocks apart so I don't see how construction staging for one of them would interfere with the other at all -- even if both of them closed one lane of Washington Street.

they built both tower's at the same time accross the st?

I had a sudden gut ache in my side when I read the Mayor's comments comparing Hayward Place to Filene's, saying that Hayward Place had its act together.

He conveniently forgot to mention that it's been 11 years since plans were first announced to build on that parcel of land and that for many years, the city didn't make much more than a dime.

I had a gut ache, then I realized no one really cared about that sort of thing.

I had a sudden gut ache in my side when I read the Mayor's comments comparing Hayward Place to Filene's, saying that Hayward Place had its act together.

He conveniently forgot to mention that it's been 11 years since plans were first announced to build on that parcel of land and that for many years, the city didn't make much more than a dime.

I had a gut ache, then I realized no one really cared about that sort of thing.

It's been quite a while since the temporary fence and occasional exhibit of sporting public in queues replaced the ol Gahhhhden -- but then along came "the Cup" which has unlocked the site for consideration once again

In Boston -- things sometimes just take a while to mature before they actually get into the groud -- a bit liike letting a fine Bordeux sit in the celler for while before you un-cork it

Here's a fine example:

Chateau Lafite Rothschild Futures -- Vintage date: 2006
Winery: Château Lafite Rothschild
Varietal: Bordeaux Blend
Region: France > Bordeaux > Pauillac
Type: Red Wine
Drink Dates: 2017 - 2040

How do I make fonts really, really big?

The countdown begins. As mentioned on the Filene's thread, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino is quoted in the July 14th Boston Herald as saying that Hayward Place is "scheduled" to break ground in two weeks.

July 14 ... plus 14 days ... July 28, probably 11 AM, show up with cameras on Washington Street to take your photos.

To learn more about the history of this parcel of city-owned, tax-exempt land, check out the entries I wrote on my old blog (that I don't own/write for any longer).

http://www.bostonreb.com/index.php?s=hayward

Menino added that construction of Hayward Place, a $200 million residential project in Downtown Crossing scheduled to break ground in two weeks across from the Paramount Theater, will bring 243 units of housing and more vibrancy to the retail district.

http://bostonherald.com/business/re..._in_real_estate_business/srvc=home&position=5

Last edited:

[size=5]Your text here.[/size]

Size BB code. You can change the number from 1 to 7.

The countdown begins. As mentioned on the Filene's thread, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino is quoted in the July 14th Boston Herald as saying that Hayward Place is "scheduled" to break ground in two weeks.

July 14 ... plus 14 days ... July 28, probably 11 AM, show up with cameras on Washington Street to take your photos.

To learn more about the history of this parcel of city-owned, tax-exempt land, check out the entries I wrote on my old blog (that I don't own/write for any longer).

Looked at the Blog -- interesting table from 2008 -- here's a challenge for the forum -- how many made it;

Under construction and proposed, in Boston; a partial list

Under construction
The Clarendon (condos & apartments)
The Bryant (condos)
45 Province (condos)
Fan Pier (offices)
Paramount Center (Emerson College)
Avenir (rentals)
1330 Boylston (rentals)
Filene’s (mixed-use)
Two Financial Center (offices)
Northeastern University dorms
Russia Wharf (offices)
MFA – East Wing (art)
W Hotel and Residences (hotel & residences)
FP3 (condos)
285 Columbus Lofts (condos)
Proposed
Columbus Center (mixed use, condos, hotel, park)
Simon Tower (condos)
Prudential Plaza Tower I (residential)
Prudential Plaza Tower II [...]

04/22/08

Has anyone been by this site recently? The Herald said construction was set to begin two weeks ago. What happened?

/yawn

The mediocre state of DTX trudges onward.

Alright, well, it is fall and with nothing going on here or Kensington, this recovery I thought we might see doesn't seem to be going anywhere. And this has me worry about Copley Place; there seem to be no significant residential developments anywhere with these projects stalling for months on end. We saw the collapse of Columbus Center and Filene's, the failure of the W's sales, and we can't even get these two smaller projects going. I don't think we can expect Copley Place to be going up soon either.

The gulf between BRA approved/announced projects and actual projects is not new. The impact of a market collapse is understandable.

What has been troubling me the past two decades is the rate and density of approved and announced projects that never get built.

Over the past 20 years, I'd estimate the difference between BRA approved/announced projects and actual buildings that were constructed in the tens of millions of square feet. I'm basing this figure on a rough extrapolation based on approvals, announcements, re-announcements for the same vacant parcel (as on Hayward Place) that have occurred in my own neighborhood (Seaport), where upwards of 15-20 million square feet of new construction has been approved and routinely publicized (and re-publicized as time lapses) but never gets built-- even during the best of times.

At this point, the real money game may not development. It may be buying land, upzoning at City Hall, and then reselling the vacant parcel at a higher price until one buyer is left either holding the bag or able to secure financing. During the entire process, the public believes a building is being constructed on the vacant site.

Visitors to the BRA can view a 3D model of the City of Boston. If I'm not mistaken, the model displayed shows buildings including those that are in the approval process -- whether or not they ever enter the construction pipeline. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Fan Pier at full build. There is no distinction to the general public what buildings are real and what ones exist only in the upzoning process. And buildings are not removed from the model after a number of years -- someone once suggested on this board that an active appeal process exists for extensions. I don't believe that.

EDIT: Added last paragraph

Last edited:

If Sicilian is correct, that the most money can be had by holding and flipping undeveloped parcels, then we should certainly not expect to see construction. Whatever your ostensible line of business, the primary concern is maximizing profit. If our permitting and zoning process makes it more profitable to not build, then that is what we will get.

From the horse's mouth, here's a screenshot from somewhere around 2005, on the real estate page of a prominent Seaport District property owner:

wN4Fv.jpg

I've redacted the property owner's name because it's not relevant here. The property owner removed there entire webpage shortly after this (and other) information was widely circulated in our neighborhood. I archived a screenshot of the entire page.

The second half of this screenshot supports my earlier assertion. And this is but one example -- I've seen many similar examples of upzoning for profit.

I realize I'm straying from Hayward Place, so I'll cut this short here. But the announcements and re-announcements are directly related.

So is it fair to say that this practice is the real estate equivalent of junk bonds?

At some point though the upzoning will reach a limit. Why would a company spend millions of dollars on a parcel that they can neither upzone and flip nor afford to build on. Don't these companies do any kind of due diligence? And why is it the BRA's fault when they don't?

Sicilian is dead right on this.

For another smaller-scale example (not to stray too far from Hayward Place, but it's a few blocks away) take 212 Stuart Street, the former Jae's Restaurant.

This was sold by Jae Chung to Ceres Realty at the very end of '04 for $2.5 MM. The developer, Ceres, then engaged in negotiations with the BRA to get substantial relief from the "as of right" zoning to permit a 13 story plus mechanicals condo building on the site and a vacant neighboring parcel for which they had a purchase agreement. The Bay Village Neighborhood Association tried to influence both the scale and design of the project, to little avail. With respect to scale, neighborhood leadership was told by BRA personnel, off the record, that it wasn't going to be less than 13 stories as any development would be "uneconomic." (Because this is a so-called "urban renewal" zone, the BRA can basically re-write zoning however they wish). And after the developer at first made positive noises about some design concessions that the neighborhood wanted, these were quietly stripped away after review by the BRA ... with the final renders looking like the usual Kairos Shen value-engineered, prefab box.

Neighborhood residents pointed out at public meetings that the developer had zero track record of residential development. The developer had a track record of commercial development, and a track record of flipping, but no project remotely similar to the project proposed. And the developer was coy on this topic when pushed at meetings - with the BRA in it's usual role as Greek chorus in favor of whatever is put forward.

Sure enough, after the paperwork was pushed through, two years later, Ceres flipped the property for $6.5 Million. (All figures available on line at Suffolk Registry, FWIW). And it sits vacant today.

This is what gets people in the neighborhoods worked up against the BRA and which breeds NIMBY-ism. If it were simply a matter of Jae, a restauranteur known personally to many in the neighborhood, selling his building for $6.5 MM and having the development stall because of the recession, that wouldn't provoke ire. But instead, a politically-connected development team triples their investment, less the cost of some vague drawings and some paperwork, without so much as turning a shovel. Heck, if neighborhood residents had known at the outset that triple the as-of-right zoning was on offer, we all could and would have chipped in to buy Jae out ourselves! But of course it doesn't work that way ... a group unfamiliar to the BRA would simply be pointed to the existing zoning and told to lump it.

At some point though the upzoning will reach a limit. Why would a company spend millions of dollars on a parcel that they can neither upzone and flip nor afford to build on. Don't these companies do any kind of due diligence? And why is it the BRA's fault when they don't?

At the end of the chain, the last buyer is presumably a developer who plans to build. So the question becomes, who are the flipping middle men, and how do we get rid of them?

Back