Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

That helps explain the lack of downward pressures on condo/lux apartment prices even when they go unsold for years... they're just holding out for wealthy internationals looking for a fourth or fifth residence. Why drop prices for locals who would live there year round when you can hold out for an international who'll pay full price and only be there once every few years...

As a former native of Massachusetts, I do enjoy yearly visits to my beloved, beautiful and dynamic Boston. Keep rockin'!

This is commonplace now for real estate developments - marketing to people who have done well in emerging markets and are looking for places to invest their money - especially if they do not feel comfortable with the stability of their local economy / local currency.

Interesting...how many Legal Seafoods are there in Boston? It seems like every new development which features restaurants has some form of Legals in it.

Legal - boring.

The building looks fantastic in the shots Downburst put up on 5/16 though.

Trees being put in on the back side yesterday, June 5.

Ugh, way too many different window vocabularies happening on this side of the building.

There must be a hell of a lot of boring people in this city (myself included) since every single time I've eaten in a Legal, whether it's been in Park Square, the Pru, or in the Seaport on Liberty Wharf it's been extremely busy! Plus, it's got great food! How can you possibly fault a well-known, very popular restaurant group taking up 5600 square feet of space along with out-door patio seating?

There must be a hell of a lot of boring people in this city (myself included) since every single time I've eaten in a Legal, whether it's been in Park Square, the Pru, or in the Seaport on Liberty Wharf it's been extremely busy! Plus, it's got great food! How can you possibly fault a well-known, very popular restaurant group taking up 5600 square feet of space along with out-door patio seating?

I am totally guessing but based on my lengthy eating experience, on average, downtown Legal Seafoods' clientele are about 30-40% out of towners. That being said, one of the ironic parts of Boston dining is that there aren't that many restaurants that focus on fish. Even fewer if you take out the shack/casual places like Barking Crab, No Name, Yankee Lobster etc.

aren't that many restaurants that focus on fish

Something I've found endlessly frustrating.

At least Legal is a local chain. It could be a Red Lobster.

1. Legal Sea Foods is the Dunkin Donuts of upper middle class fish restaurants in Boston. There are too many around, at the expense of a greater diversity of dining options, and while they're okay, they're not amazing. Yet still popular with a lot of people because they're familiar. Homogenization, blah, etc.

2. Again, this is a large space. Would be better for the street/city for a more diverse group of uses to occupy it.

For better or worse, a Legal Sea Foods in DTX will get people who don't live or work in or immediately around DTX to visit. Considering its proximity to the theater venues across the street and on Tremont, Boylston, etc., I bet the place will be pretty busy, hence the size.

I also think this is pretty consistent with what people have been asking for in DTX/Filene's in terms of retail/market (Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, Target, Whole Foods, Wegman's), but in the form of a restaurant.

If the goal is to get people to work, live AND visit there, this helps achieve the latter and complements the priors.

I'd also say Legal Harborside does a good job of putting a new shine on a starting-to-get-worn chain, maybe naming this place Legal Crossing means they have something similar on the drawing board.

Call me an optimist.

Legal's luster has worn off over the years, but I do appreciate that they try and differentiate as they expand. The one in park sq. and the pru are the standard that they go with. But Harborside is a great space. I haven't even ate there, but drinking on the deck is great and the raw bar on the 1st floor is top notch. LTK and this LTX or whatever both are a good change of pace. At least its not the same same same.

I've been consistently disappointed with Legal Seafood, and I've been to a bunch of them lately. There is no excuse to serve me cold clam chowder. How hard is it to keep soup hot?!

For better or worse, a Legal Sea Foods in DTX will get people who don't live or work in or immediately around DTX to visit. Considering its proximity to the theater venues across the street and on Tremont, Boylston, etc., I bet the place will be pretty busy, hence the size.

Does anyone ever visit a neighborhood for Legal Sea Foods? With so many to choose from, I'd guess it'll serve people who were going to be in DTC for a show, shopping, or whatever anyway, rather than be a draw. At best it'll keep them in the neighborhood a little longer.

Back