Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

It is a bit discouraging that we spend time talking about how the BRA and Vornado are having discussions with Target.

Or how the director of the BRA may call Eataly to replace Borders (on another thread).

The evolution of Downtown Crossing should be something considered by the BRA and its property owners on a much grander scale. But instead they are working against each other, not in collaboration.

My support for Target is definitely based on a fairly low bar of expectations.

Vornado is calling the shots now. They are basically saying to the Mayor and the BRA you people are morons.

The Mayor is making such an uproar over Walmart..... So Vornado is making a deal with TARGET to lease out this area. Walmart and Target are the same in my opinion. Can somebody tell me the difference?

The mayor and his fat ego is at the mercy of Vornado. Vornado can sit on the sight forever with the hole in it and collect tax breaks the rest of their lives. 150 or 160 million they paid for this is sock money for the chairman of this company.

The papers are promoting Target like it's this great for this location. I can go to Target Anywhere in this state in every other city. I would rather go drive to Wellington Station in Everett to go to Target incase I got a bookcase. DownTown I would probably get a parking ticket for driving into the DTX area for that Target.

Before there was consolidation in the department store business, Bloomingdale's was supposed to go into Hayward Place but that was 20+ years ago. And that was when Jordan Marsh was owned by Allied Stores, and Bloomingdales owned by Federated, and Filenes was owned by the May Co.

Ancient history.

And the reason you won't get a Bloomingdales next to a Macy's is because they are now part of the same company.

Maybe we could wait for Marks and Spencer (AKA Marks and Sparks) to open a second store in Boston. What, you haven't been to their first store?

Are you referring to the Boston in Lincolnshire?

Eataly? That would be a PERFECT use of the Borders store...if you want something that draws people in and enlivens the area, Eataly is a destination.

I do think a Whole Foods or other supermarket might be a great use for the Filenes space, putting the cart ahead of the horse to attract residential development.

A supermarket would be the type of forward-looking use that might actually be worth some type of tax breaks for at least a decade in which no critical mass of residents existed.

The 1000 residents living in the Seaport/Waterfront/Fort Point/Innovation District can't wait for a real supermarket. I'd bet the same goes for Millenium residents and others in that area.

Are you referring to the Boston in Lincolnshire?
I can remember when the pound was cheap compared to the dollar, people flying across the pond to get bargains on Brompton Rd., and maybe even venture to Market Sq to visit M&S in Boston.

Trader Joe's would be more successful at Downtown Crossing than a Whole Foods. (Though Trader Joe's doesn't do near as much with prepared foods.) The problem is that a supermarket couldn't get the volume to cover the rent.

Now a place like Daveco liquors could make a go of it.

20110623__SawagedDaveco~p1.jpg

51605881-12192529.jpg

Last edited:

The 1000 residents living in the Seaport/Waterfront/Fort Point/Innovation District can't wait for a real supermarket. I'd bet the same goes for Millenium residents and others in that area.

There is a rumor circulating that the Shaws/Star at JFK-UMass may close, which save the tiny Stop and Stop on East Broadway, leaves no alternatives other than Stop and Shop at South Bay, Shaws at Pru, and Whole Foods at Charles River Plaza. Talk about a suck fest of options.

There is a rumor circulating that the Shaws/Star at JFK-UMass may close, which save the tiny Stop and Stop on East Broadway, leaves no alternatives other than Stop and Shop at South Bay, Shaws at Pru, and Whole Foods at Charles River Plaza. Talk about a suck fest of options.

Shaws Fenway (Kilmarnock St) is comparable and it has parking.

That's rotten news.

I shop occasionally at that Shaws at JFK. Fast cashiers, lots of hard-working and helpful employees.

By contrast, Stop & Shop on Bway is too small, hard to park and generally a hassle.

South Bay is a nightmare - hard to get out of that Stop & Shop without interminable delays and lines.

Something has to eventually work out for the Seaport and Downtown. If the BRA continues to sit on their hands, Maybe Massport will step in across from BCEC.

Shaw's at JFK isn't that old. Why would they close it, except maybe to make way for a higher-use development that I hope would also have room for a supermarket?

In response to the "Mayor's" sign at the hole... Was posted Wednesday and next time I checked (last night) it was ripped down (zip ties still hanging). A new one was up around the corner. This morning is was gone (clipped off, zip ties missing). And the one where the original was, was replaced. Less than 5 hours later it was gone.

Methinks the BID workers are "taking out the trash".

It is a bit discouraging that we spend time talking about how the BRA and Vornado are having discussions with Target.

Or how the director of the BRA may call Eataly to replace Borders (on another thread).

The evolution of Downtown Crossing should be something considered by the BRA and its property owners on a much grander scale. But instead they are working against each other, not in collaboration.

My support for Target is definitely based on a fairly low bar of expectations.

Guys there are a few thousand daily grinders within a couple of blocks of that potenial target -- that is market #1

market #2 is a few thousand college students within a few blocks

market #3 is the few thousand residents within the few blocks
market #4 is the tourists who might need something

I think that Target has done its homework and decided that the some of the above is compatible with one of their big or super target stores

To answer one of the other rants the differences between Taget and Walmart:
1) higher-end merchandise at Target
2) more experience as a developer in the context of other retailers -- targets development group often develops centers such as in Woburn near Rt-128 / I-93 junction which includes 5 or 6 other retailers

Guys there are a few thousand daily grinders within a couple of blocks of that potenial target -- that is market #1

I think that Target has done its homework and decided that the some of the above is compatible with one of their big or super target stores

2) more experience as a developer in the context of other retailers -- targets development group often develops centers such as in Woburn near Rt-128 / I-93 junction which includes 5 or 6 other retailers

Bingo! I said this how many pages ago?

Downtown Ambassors Job to Rip Sign Off
By anon (not verified) - 9/11/11 - 12:15 am#37

I personally saw an Ambassador rip the sign down. I asked why he did it and he said he was told to. Keep them coming. Maybe Menino and The Boston BID hacks will grow a sense of humor.

But I doubt it.

http://www.universalhub.com/2011/new-signage-hole#comment-192681

Hehe. Orders coming through to rip down those signs, eh?

Ron, someone needs to check the public record. The Pappases own/owned the empty lot next to that Shaws, maybe they own the Shaws parcel and have plans for the space.

Is there a category for funniest image of the year? I'm sure there are many worth a year-end review. Consider:

Appearing July 4th at Atlantic Wharf:
ThA78.jpg

No caption necessary from Statler:
User_Lord_Belar_Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

And this gem of a post from BostonUrbEx:
fileneshole.jpg

Target and Walmart are the same. They are competitors it’s like comparing BJ’s and Cosco. Walmart can also build high end stores to reflect the surroundings of the area. My point is the Mayor continues to rant over Walmart but has no problem with Target taking over Filenes Flagship location for the downtown area. That doesn't make any sense.

Let’s go down the list of destinations spots that are developed in the city of Boston which continue to make our beloved city so special.
This is why the entire market segments you listed above plus TOURISTS, and Suburan Residents flock to each year.

Kenmore Area= Fenway Park
Haymarket= Faneuil Hall
North End—Residential area with some of the best small restaurants in the city
Backbay= Boston Common, Newbury Street, restaurants
North Station=Boston Garden
Greenway=Boston Aquarium
Seaport District +Children’s Muesuem

Beacon Hill Most of the Colleges around these areas.
South End Comm Ave
I’m sure I missed many more.

A tourist or anybody who is not a resident of the city. The only reason to head to the heart of the city is for two reasons.

#1 The jeweler’s buildings
#2 Theater.

Besides that we have nothing of real interest in DTX to really attact anybody to go through the area besides the residents.
Target would be a great spot for a prime location in DOWNTOWN MALDEN not the city of Boston. Or maybe put Target somewhere in the city that is not a prime location. That is my point. This is a prime location that should be a destination spot.

I guess TARGET happens to fit Kairos Shens BOSTON DNA chart.

Of course the numbers#'s will work with Target they would probably work with Home Depot. Home Depot could be the anchor tenant for the Congress St garage. The Mayor might get mad and tell the BRA that Lowes fits in better.

This is not a good planning for the city.
The goal for the City of Boston should have been to make this Filenes Development into a destination location for the city. This is my logic.

Last edited:

Herald story apparently made the deal sound more imminent than it actually is:

http://blogs.bostonmagazine.com/boston_daily/2011/09/12/target-downtown-crossing-boston/

But the issue so far, Hynes explained, is that it doesn’t make sense for a business to move into the Burnham building until some decision on what to do with the giant hole next to it is made. Because, you know, if you’re trying to attract customers, giant holes tend not to make for the best neighbors.
That's utter bullshit. Target could function fine with the Hole next to it. The building is connected to the freaking subway for god sakes, you don't even have to see the hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back