Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Yea the Motor Mart Garage is a shining example of what a parking garage should be. It has an attractive design and interacts with the street very well (for a parking garage). It's a shame there aren't more like it...and it's also a shame that we're wishing an apartment building could be more like a parking garage.

The Motor Mart should probably receive historic landmark status. Architecturally it's very strong, but it also has an important history behind the building. The thing to remember, when discussing it's virtues as a garage, is that it was built as a retail building, albeit one that sold cars. It would be hard to make the case to a new developer that a garage needs to have retail features. But we can always try and remain hopeful.

The Motor Mart should probably receive historic landmark status. Architecturally it's very strong, but it also has an important history behind the building. The thing to remember, when discussing it's virtues as a garage, is that it was built as a retail building, albeit one that sold cars. It would be hard to make the case to a new developer that a garage needs to have retail features. But we can always try and remain hopeful.

True. Maybe they could make it a law? If they can force any development in the Innovation District to include affordable office space, then surely we can tell parking garages in urban environments they need to have retail in the base of their building.

I think we just need to wait for the Renderings hopefully the new developer understands the area. I'm not a fan of the Ritz buildings but we might be suprised.

It does seem that some of the new proposals lately seem very positive towards the future of Boston with the aspects of height & quality. Example Copley, Boston Herald Site hopefully we keep the ball rolling.

Atlantic Wharf came out okay from an A-F ----Give it a B-

Few things to say.

Good news that this is finally doing something (not overly excited just yet.)

I like the addition of a developer who has actually gotten things done. This helps take some of the burden financially off Vornado, and also shifts some of the negative press they created. I like Vornado still being in the picture (unlike what someone said earlier), just because they have deep pockets, and make me feel like they can afford to move forward.

I don't know a lot about this architect, but I must say that above the failure of the ground floor, the Millenium towers is one of my favorite newish developments in the city. The good news here is, that the main street approach already have the best 6 floors of skin you're going to find, and because it's protected , it's hard to F up. How they utilize the existing facade and open it up with retailers is yet to be seen.

I expect a set back similar to the imaginary renderings on the previous page. Use the existing facade and cornice height as the podium for the tower above. This set back would do wonders, as you wouldn't feel overwhelmed at the street level, and it makes it easier to go with a very modern tower without trying to tie it into the beautiful old facade.

F Kairos Shen (just saying.)

Cars, should be given minimal thought here, even to residents. There are garages around, and it's at the nexus of the mass transit system in this city.

Street life and 24/7 neighborhood are not going to happen because of this building, but it should be a step towards making that a reality. Few things I'd like to see to make this happen.

Keep building residential on top of retail in the area.

Update the Winter Street "Lower" area to include shopping, food, etc. People living in this tower I think would love the ability to walk from there doors, under the street, buy a couple things grab a snack, and get right on the green line over to buy their Gucci and whatnot in the back bay.

Add a couple smaller clubs and venues in some of the existing buildings to give people a reason to come here at night. Lansdowne sucks, a couple smaller venues in the downtown area would do wonders. The Orpheum does ok by bringing music acts closer to downtown, but still linking it to the Theatre district, but it's a little too classy for the types of acts I'm thinking of.

The bars already exist, and there are some good ones in the area. Residents, shows, and retailers will help drive the foot traffic, and then they will fill the bars....

Anywho, hope to see something decent, that works well in the area.

Millenium is a New York City company. Millenium owns 50%, Vornado owns 50%. Not a big change here

Bos -- Yes -- he lives in the NYC area (actually CT these days0 -- but as the Herald article said: " Millennium founding partner Philip Aarons said Downtown Crossing is an area the company was familiar with, after building Millennium Place on Tremont Street, and breaking ground last year on Hayward Place on Washington Street.

“We were actually interested in this site before the current owner bought it,” Aarons said. “We believe it is a great chance to continue the work we started in Boston.”

Aarons, a Massachusetts native, said the development will include retail, office and residential space."

In addition his own website

http://www.millenniumptrs.com/about.cfm

Under Re-invigorating American cities one skyline at a time -- it says the following:

" In America’s key gateway cities, Millennium Partners has created an unparalleled portfolio of mixed-use properties that include five-star hotels, luxury condominiums, state-of-the-art entertainment complexes, world-class spa and fitness facilities and class-A office space. Each property is unique in character and design, providing luxurious and comfortable environments in which to live, work, shop, exercise and be entertained. The result is a collection of assets beyond compare.

With a cutting-edge development strategy, Millennium Partners selects sites once viewed as ordinary and makes them extraordinary, on a scale that impacts entire cities.

Carefully selecting the appropriate components for each location, Millennium has completed dramatic developments in some of the nation’s most dynamic neighborhoods: New York’s Central Park South, Financial District and Lincoln Square; San Francisco’s South of Market area; Boston’s Public Garden and Boston Common; Washington’s West End and Georgetown neighborhoods; and Miami’s Brickell Avenue.

Millennium Partners has developed over 1,600 luxury condominiums, eight five-star hotels, an extended-stay luxury hotel, 1,000,000 square feet of office space, 1,200,000 square feet of retail space, 3,750 parking spaces, four Loews Cineplex theaters and five magnificent health clubs. With the acquisition of six health clubs, Millennium Partners now owns and operates an impressive portfolio worth over $4 billion.

In the process of fulfilling an unrecognized market need, turning overlooked areas into destination neighborhoods and creating a financial formula that has become the paradigm of an entire industry, Millennium Partners has reinvigorated the skylines of America’s most desirable cities.

"

I doubt that you'd ever read that from Vornado

Few things to say.

Good news that this is finally doing something (not overly excited just yet.)

I like the addition of a developer who has actually gotten things done. This helps take some of the burden financially off Vornado, and also shifts some of the negative press they created. I like Vornado still being in the picture (unlike what someone said earlier), just because they have deep pockets, and make me feel like they can afford to move forward...... This set back would do wonders, as you wouldn't feel overwhelmed at the street level, and it makes it easier to go with a very modern tower without trying to tie it into the beautiful old facade.....Street life and 24/7 neighborhood are not going to happen because of this building, but it should be a step towards making that a reality. Few things I'd like to see to make this happen.

Keep building residential on top of retail in the area.

Update the Winter Street "Lower" area to include shopping, food, etc. People living in this tower I think would love the ability to walk from there doors, under the street, buy a couple things grab a snack, and get right on the green line over to buy their Gucci and whatnot in the back bay.

Add a couple smaller clubs and venues in some of the existing buildings to give people a reason to come here at night. Lansdowne sucks, a couple smaller venues in the downtown area would do wonders. The Orpheum does ok by bringing music acts closer to downtown, but still linking it to the Theatre district, but it's a little too classy for the types of acts I'm thinking of.

The bars already exist, and there are some good ones in the area. Residents, shows, and retailers will help drive the foot traffic, and then they will fill the bars....

Anywho, hope to see something decent, that works well in the area.

Seamus -- I agree almost totally -- I would just add 3 points:

1] sorry to the NYC-philes 24x7 really only exists in one city in the US -- New Orleans -- well OK the Pentagon

20X6.75 is sufficient for complete vitality -- i.e. 5 AM to 1 AM or 5:30 to 1:30 -- the vast majority of people in almost all cities where I've set foot -- are not doing anything except sleeping between 2 AM and 5 AM or at the very least they are not out on the streets

2] the best thing that can be done with the T in the area is to connect the Orange and Blue Line platforms along Washington St and while we're at-it to build a nice all weather mini-mall underground -- all of the winters wont be like this one's been so far

3] Millenium's architect will have some excelent street-cred to work with -- the Burnham Filenes facade -- so don't keep flipping the "built-from-scratch" moderne abstraction up as an example

I hope you are not naive enough to think that people who shop at "Gucci and whatnot" are taking the subway to and from their ultra high end shopping outings. Never going to happen. I'd be shocked if even 1 out of every 50 Gucci customers in Boston arrives and/or departs by subway before or after shopping there.

Meh.... 1 out of 10. Gucci ain't that exclusive. Point taken. Bad example.
The idea was there, and people will take the subway or take a cab if you don't give them a parking spot.

Let's say Coach instead. Because everyone has those ugly bags covered in C's. And they are all over the train. Everyone and their lame aunt wears Ugg(ly)'s and they are all over the subway.

I'm thinking these will be upper middle class apartments and condos. The upper crust is staying in Beacon, Back Bay, & some So. End. So, yes subway riders will be included.

1] sorry to the NYC-philes 24x7 really only exists in one city in the US -- New Orleans -- well OK the Pentagon it's much easier to say 24x7 and understand that everyone knows what that means without this explanation....

20X6.75 is sufficient for complete vitality -- i.e. 5 AM to 1 AM or 5:30 to 1:30 -- the vast majority of people in almost all cities where I've set foot -- are not doing anything except sleeping between 2 AM and 5 AM or at the very least they are not out on the streets

2] the best thing that can be done with the T in the area is to connect the Orange and Blue Line platforms along Washington St and while we're at-it to build a nice all weather mini-mall underground -- all of the winters wont be like this one's been so far

3] Millenium's architect will have some excelent street-cred to work with -- the Burnham Filenes facade -- so don't keep flipping the "built-from-scratch" moderne abstraction up as an example Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. I'm pretty sure this is my point. The street level is already pretty pissah here. Just needs to be utilized and opened up properly.

My thoughts. Methinks you agree, and wanted to add a point about the Blue Line. I always overlook the blue line, because it is so easy to overlook.

I hope you are not naive enough to think that people who shop at "Gucci and whatnot" are taking the subway to and from their ultra high end shopping outings. Never going to happen. I'd be shocked if even 1 out of every 50 Gucci customers in Boston arrives and/or departs by subway before or after shopping there.

I have seen several people on the subway with bags from high end stores. Louis Vitton, Polo, Gucci, Chanel. I am guessing the bulk of them are tourists, but nonetheless, they are still using transit.

How about a Trader Joe's in the lower floors?

1] sorry to the NYC-philes 24x7 really only exists in one city in the US -- New Orleans -- well OK the Pentagon

What about Vvvvvegas?

As to retail, they should imagine Canal St. in NYC around 10 yrs ago, make it vertical and call it "Knockoff City". Then everyone can get their crappy Coach, Vuitton, Prada, etc. bags cheap.

Big hair heaven.

Does anyone else share my sentiment of disappointment over the fact that the hotel portion of the development has been scrapped? Don't get me wrong... (continues)

More likely that a hotel component would decrease residential than office, yes? So as far as activation goes, I'd prefer to see DTX have an increasing number of residences. As for price, the production of luxury residential increases supply and decreases pressure on other housing units -- a net plus for affordability.

Back to the groundfloor issues, in the plus column for the portfolio is the Loews Boston Common. BIG FAN.

Also there is a decent restaurant and epicurean market on Washington, just off Avery across from Bobos.

I have seen several people on the subway with bags from high end stores. Louis Vitton, Polo, Gucci, Chanel. I am guessing the bulk of them are tourists, but nonetheless, they are still using transit.

Or more likely, they're flea market knock offs.

Meh.... 1 out of 10. Gucci ain't that exclusive. Point taken. Bad example.
The idea was there, and people will take the subway or take a cab if you don't give them a parking spot.

Let's say Coach instead. Because everyone has those ugly bags covered in C's. And they are all over the train. Everyone and their lame aunt wears Ugg(ly)'s and they are all over the subway.

I'm thinking these will be upper middle class apartments and condos. The upper crust is staying in Beacon, Back Bay, & some So. End. So, yes subway riders will be included.

I feel like 5/10 Gucci shoppers is an Asian tourist/student who is probably taking the subway. 4/10 are Italian guys and gals stopping by to purchase a small accessory that says "Gucci" all over it to wear with their Armani Exchange outfits. 3/4 drive a recent model 3-series BMW or Infiniti G35, while one takes the T. Then 1/10 is an actual wealthy person who just happens to shop at Gucci. So ultimately, 6/10 shoppers at Gucci take the subway. Unfortunately for the Filenes project, the 1 actual wealthy person probably doesn't.

I read a study that said up to 35% of female handbags tested positive for traces of doodie on the bottoms....such a shame

How about a Trader Joe's in the lower floors?

Are you knowledgeable enough about those high end purses to be able to decipher a fake from an original? I know I can't and I lived in Italy years ago. A large number of those you see around town are not real and it is nearly impossible to the untrained eye to tell which are which.

Getting back on point, I think we will see a Trader Joe's or other specialty grocer (Fresh Market?) at the Filene's site.

I feel like 5/10 Gucci shoppers is an Asian tourist/student who is probably taking the subway. 4/10 are Italian guys and gals stopping by to purchase a small accessory that says "Gucci" all over it to wear with their Armani Exchange outfits. 3/4 drive a recent model 3-series BMW or Infiniti G35, while one takes the T. Then 1/10 is an actual wealthy person who just happens to shop at Gucci. So ultimately, 6/10 shoppers at Gucci take the subway. Unfortunately for the Filenes project, the 1 actual wealthy person probably doesn't.

Those Asian students all have cars and do not hesitate to use them to drive to Copley Place/Newbury Street etc. And the wealthy tourists are staying at the Mandarin/Four Seasons and either have direct indoor access to Copley/Pru or are a couple block walk/taxi ride.

Are you knowledgeable enough about those high end purses to be able to decipher a fake from an original? I know I can't and I lived in Italy years ago. A large number of those you see around town are not real and it is nearly impossible to the untrained eye to tell which are which.

Getting back on point, I think we will see a Trader Joe's or other specialty grocer (Fresh Market?) at the Filene's site.

I should have specified, by bags, I meant shopping bags. I have a decent sense of a fake bag if I see it.

Those Asian students all have cars and do not hesitate to use them to drive to Copley Place/Newbury Street etc. And the wealthy tourists are staying at the Mandarin/Four Seasons and either have direct indoor access to Copley/Pru or are a couple block walk/taxi ride.

Yea that's true. Solid fail on my part.

I remember last summer when I was living in Packard's Corner, there was some Asian student who would get picked up by his friend in a brand-new Lotus Elise. Pretty sweet ride. I'm sure he spent quite a bit of time at the Gucci store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back