Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: One Bromfield (28-story tower @ DTX)

Hell, if they build that, I'LL live there.

That's new to me. Where did you find it? Based on the height that looks more like a discarded Filene's proposal, to be honest.

The position on the street is not clear, nor are the background buildings...If it's Wash. St. where is City Hall?

Honestly, I cannot remember where I found it; before I discovered archBoston about a year ago, I kept a folder with renderings and articles about notable real estate projects in Boston so I could keep track of them (this forum is much more efficient). I stumbled across said folder doing a cleanup of my desktop earlier today; it was attached to an older article.

I agree with Padre Mike and Downburst...my gut reaction is that this is a bad rendering in the sense that it was either sloppily made or the original source picked up an old Filenes rendering (going by the height). I did some poking around the web and couldn't find it anywhere. Just thought I would open it up to the forum to see if anyone had an answer.

I assure you this is not the Bromfiled tower, To be honest I'm not sure what that is. If you look in the background it towers over the new State Street Building which the old Filene's proposal would not. Yet it doesn't look like the new Filene's rendering.

I'm pretty sure those are the Millennium Towers in the background, which would put this building on the Filene's plot.

Reverse-Image-Searching only yielded me this; which is the same news about this project we got about a week ago.

The caption on the image in the article says it's a rendering of the project taken from Millennium's website!

EDIT: Yup, here it is. This is for the Filene's tower. Interesting.

You are correct the Millenium towers are in the back right I was speaking about the back left. At 503' at the spire the State Street Financial Center this rendering towers over that and it looks like this building is roughly 700ft tall.

This looks like a Filene's rendering. Here is roughly the same perspective from Google Earth. You can see Filene's in the bottom left-center of the image. The Millenium towers are as is 1 Lincoln St. and even the completed Hayward Place building.

WashingtonGoogleEarth.jpg

*edit*
Looks like I was beaten to the punch. Good excuse to play on google earth though.

Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

Seems like a new rendering's shown up on Millennium's website, showing what seems to be extended vertical spandrels (or something similar) on the building. Here:

boston_millennium-tower-boston_1.jpg

Does this still look like 625' to anyone? Maybe it's the perspective, but this looks like it's positively looming over State Street and Millennium Place. Certainly more than 625' looks, to me. Millennium is still claiming it will be Boston's 4th tallest. (Are they taking Copley Place into account?)

This soaring 60-story tower at the Franklin Street site will be Boston’s fourth tallest building. It will connect at the lower levels to the historic Burnham Building, creating a unique blend of past and future in true Bostonian tradition. The tower will feature nearly 500 luxury condominiums along with luxury rental apartments and 80 guest rooms...

(Credit to BostontoLancaster for finding this.)

I like how the design sort of not really resembles a design I was kicking around when I participated in the Superpolis project at SSC.

FourSeasonsHotelandResidence.png

Not digging the flat roof though.

So on that rendering, is that a penthouse apartment or an open mechanicals area. If it is a penthouse, where are is all of the elevator gear, generators, and other equipment often found on the roof?

So on that rendering, is that a penthouse apartment or an open mechanicals area. If it is a penthouse, where are is all of the elevator gear, generators, and other equipment often found on the roof?

It's definitely an apartment... you can see beds and furniture through the windows. The roof junk is probably in the same category as the height question: promotional rendering. No reason for Millennium to be completely honest.

Not sure where to put this, but nearby they have installed new, illuminated street signs. Anyone else see these?

IMG_20121126_184049.jpg

Why?

That just seems incredibly wasteful and pointless. Am I missing an advantage?

Regarding the lighted signs, just saw this article on Boston.com:

Boston plugs in city's first LED-powered street signs
Posted by Matt Rocheleau November 26, 2012 03:53 PM
By Matt Rocheleau, Town Correspondent
City officials have plugged in Boston’s first-ever LED-powered street name signs.
The inaugural signs at the intersection of Washington and Winter streets downtown are part of a pilot program to test “how different manufacturers’ products perform, and making sure they can stand up to winter conditions in the City of Boston,” said a statement from city transportation department commissioner Thomas J. Tinlin.
At no cost to the city, several vendors will test out their electronic street name sign products.
After the pilot phase, the transportation department plans to launch a competitive bid process to install permanent LED-powered signs at about a dozen, yet-to-be-determined locations.
“This is a unique program, and we are one of the first cities to use LED street signs like this, oriented towards the pedestrian rather than the car,” Tinlin’s statement said.
The 4-foot-long by 1-foot-tall signs are 35 percent larger than the street name signs in the area. They are internally illuminated by high-efficiency LED (light-emitting diode)technology, making them visible at night from several hundred feet away.
“We have seen from New York City and others that these signs are an amazing pedestrian amenity, helping BIDs to feel welcoming and walkable,” said Rosemarie Sansone, president of the Downtown Business Improvement District Corporation.
The LED Street Sign program is part of public investments that Mayor Thomas M. Menino has committed to making in the Downtown BID.
“These signs look great, and I’m so glad they’re going up just in time for holiday shopping season,” Mayor Thomas M. Menino said in a statement. “These signs will literally serve as a beacon, drawing shoppers into the BID to do their holiday shopping here, and helping shoppers, visitors, and everyone in between find their way around downtown Boston.”
Vendors interested in joining the pilot program can contact transportation department operations director Paul McColgan at Paul.McColgan@cityofboston.gov or 617-635-3122.

E-mail Matt Rocheleau at mjrochele@gmail.com.

Source: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/downtown/2012/11/boston_plugs_in_first-ever_led.html

Jesus Fucking Christ, that intersection is off-limits to cars. Exactly who needs to know what intersection you're at?

Not a week goes by on this board without someone eulogizing the old neon Combat Zone. And we all uniformly sung the praises of the Paramount restoration. Yet people are complaining about an effort to bring *more* shiny things light to the area??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back