Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

Given the residential component of this building, is there potential for a grocery store? Potentially another Wegmans? Maybe another Trader Joe's?

As far as department stores go, the closest Bloomingdale's is in Chestnut Hill. This would be a good spot for a new downtown store. Even if it's just an outlet which is something they've started to do more of.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but wouldn't it make sense for Macys to move into this new building and sell/redevelop their current place?

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but wouldn't it make sense for Macys to move into this new building and sell/redevelop their current place?

It may make sense for Macy's to go into a new building. Personally, I would be nervous about having another empty block in downtown crossing.

You certainly are not. Most recently it was mentioned at the very top of the previous page on this thread. I was actually talking to my mom about this yesterday. Given the land-crunch in downtown, I see the current Macy's building (and whole Lafayette landscraper) as one of the last great opportunities to develop a tall tower in the financial district. It sure beats the hell out of knocking down the Dainty Dots, etc....

As I've said previously, Macy*s (tragically) has no intention of moving. They just invested in putting a nice bookstore/media section in the basement of their current location.

^I would not let Macy's new bookstore, etc. dissuade you from thinking they could still move. These stores spend enormous amounts on re-do's that end up being very short term. Besides, by the time the Filene's block is developed, I'll be collecting SS.

Sadly, America already had a Takashimaya, on Fifth Ave. in New York, that recently closed...

No shit? How did I miss that? The stores in Kyoto and Osaka were mind-blowing, like stepping into a time machine.

Regarding Macy*s, I learned a couple fun facts yesterday. First, the Downtown Crossing Macy*s men's department sees more business than the New York department store. Secondly, the Boston store has more tourists shopping there (as oppose to locals) than the New York store, especially Asian tourists apparently.

So when you guys discuss whether Macy*s is gonna move its store or do something radical, if it ain't broke why fix it? That seems to be the mantra they're going by.

^I would not let Macy's new bookstore, etc. dissuade you from thinking they could still move. These stores spend enormous amounts on re-do's that end up being very short term. Besides, by the time the Filene's block is developed, I'll be collecting SS.

It would be an enormous downsize. The retail sf available in the NPC is 122,000sf GLA. The NPC states that it could go up to 231,000 if they add on more retail floors (possibly down to B2 or up to level 2 and 3 as stated in the approval meeting). Their current store has well over 300,000sf, which is consistent with their downtown presences across the country. By contrast, the largest local suburban Macy*s is the former Jordan Marsh at the Burlington Mall with ~250,000sf and South Shore Plaza's (Filene's) is second at 227,000.

^ Thanks for that data dshoost

Macy's had its chance to move across the street. They didn't want to.

The other thing to remember is that when that store was a Jordan Marsh, it had 4 floors (not inc basement), 3 are in use today by Macy's (retail space, and offices).

On the fourth floor (I think), there's a data center (computer server room) where some company (I forget the name) rents out space. (This was added when Macy's converted the store in the 90s). It would take an act of god to get that data center to move because its about the only resale data center in downtown.

No shit? How did I miss that? The stores in Kyoto and Osaka were mind-blowing, like stepping into a time machine.

Not sure! It had quite a street presence:

agosto-2007-f-ajello.jpg

The one in NYC was fairly small though (or maybe not, but just felt that way because it was extremely vertical) so I'm not sure how alike it was to Tokyo's iterations. There was a great tea room in the basement, though.

The Takashimaya stores I visited in Kyoto and Osaka were enormous and polished, like something out of a the 1930s. I was in Japan to attend my college roommate's wedding, and forgot to pack suspenders for my suit trousers. The attention I got from the impeccably dressed store clerk was like nothing you'd see in the States, even in a luxury retailer. She wrapped my purchase as if she were saying a prayer. In the lobby, there was a flock of Wedgwood-uniformed counter attendants, all of them smoke-shows.

I took a ton of photos in the Kyoto grocery and pastry area of Takashimaya -- I'd never actually seen anything like it. I'll post a couple when I get home from the office.

Also of note, the Daimaru store in Shinsaibashi, Osaka. Designed by expatriot American architect William Merrell Vories and built in 1922, it apparently survived WWII unscathed. Like Kyoto City Hall, it's in a regionally adapted style that draws from Gothic and Art Deco.

Re: Filene's

I admire One57 for it's height and sleekness, but I am actually more fond of the Millenium tower. I think it has better dimension overall, and it fits in very well with a nice skyline backdrop. One57 is a very tall needle sticking out of many other tall buildings as if it were saying "Ha ha, I'm taller than all of you now." And that's probably because they needed to get those views of the park while being 2 streets away from it.

Only because we've discussed this building in this thread before....but the crane on One57 has come loose during the hurricane. There is live coverage streaming right now via New York's ABC affiliate. www.7online.com

Regarding Macy*s, I learned a couple fun facts yesterday. First, the Downtown Crossing Macy*s men's department sees more business [B]than the New York department store[/B]. Secondly, the Boston store has more tourists shopping there (as oppose to locals) than the New York store, especially Asian tourists apparently.
Whoever told you this was probably referring to one or each of the metro NYC stores EXCEPT FOR the Herald Square location.
Also are you sure the Asians seen in the Boston store aren't from the Chinatown neighborhood just down the street as opposed to tourists?

Just for the record--I can't tell if it was implicitly understood during this discussion or if people were not aware--Macy's is a tenant, and not the landlord, at its Downtown Crossing store. The folks running that data center referred to by another poster are, in fact, the landlords.

Also of note, the Daimaru store in Shinsaibashi, Osaka. Designed by expatriot American architect William Merrell Vories and built in 1922, it apparently survived WWII unscathed. Like Kyoto City Hall, it's in a regionally adapted style that draws from Gothic and Art Deco.[/QUOTE]

Kind of funny about the Macy's thread because back in the late 1970's Boston was (is) a sister city with Kyoto and Jordan Marsh ran a huge promotion I beleieve called the Orient Expressed, which featured sections dedicated to Japanese designers.

Just for the record--I can't tell if it was implicitly understood during this discussion or if people were not aware--Macy's is a tenant, and not the landlord, at its Downtown Crossing store. The folks running that data center referred to by another poster are, in fact, the landlords.

I think I mentioned this a number of pages ago, but don't like to continue to repeat it.

Until Jeff Markley decides he needs a big ol' structure to stroke his ego. He's just fine with One Summer staying. There have been many many many ongoing renovations to bring the existing structure up to his standards so far, he's really beefing it up for the long run it appears.

Re: One Bromfield (28-story tower @ DTX)

Hello all, longtime follower and first time poster. Hate to bring back a topic with no news to report, but I was curious if anyone had ever seen this rendering (I did not see it in an admittedly quick scan of the entire thread):

9cc8c181b746aecc673b0eea4489a9e8

Obviously, this does nothing to assuage any fears that may exist about the building at street level, but I must say the tower portion here in this rendering looks far more appealing than the concepts presented in other renderings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back