Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

Does it bother anyone else that the low-rise portion of the proposed Filene's development doesn't line up with the roof-line of the existing building? I wish we could have another Atlantic Wharf type of situation here, where the tower could be wrapped in older facades that match more closely the buildings around it.

The complex is specifically designed to highlight the 1912 Burnham Building and let it stand on its own. This is a direct statement from the people at Handel.

yes i would prefer a taller base. I'm not sure what they are trying to highlight, doesn't the facade of the burnham building face summer and washington street? By having a very low base the result is that you only expose the utilitarian mid block side of the building i.e., the side facing toward Franklin.

Seems kind of silly. The building didn't stand "on it's own" before. Why should it now?

When does construction begin? Can we expect this spring like first stated?

They're starting work tomorrow. Merry Christmas. Do us all a favor and go take pictures.

Exiting the T on Hawley St this morning, a concrete company was doing prep on the backside of Filene's. Not certain exactly on what, but it's the first activity in the area I've seen in a very long while.

Passersby really seemed to take notice. This will be fun to watch!

The concrete pumper was active and pumping into a window in the Burnham Building this morning.

This is gonna be awesome if this starts up

That's only the old Filene's building. The tower has no start date yet. If nothing else activating the Filene's building will help push the tower plan forward.

That's only the old Filene's building. The tower has no start date yet. If nothing else activating the Filene's building will help push the tower plan forward.

The Tower will not get built until Filene's is active again. That is how they are securing the funding. (This is straight from the meetings)

The Tower will not get built until Filene's is active again. That is how they are securing the funding. (This is straight from the meetings)

One also has to believe that the sales performance of Millennium Place will also play a factor in the Millennium Tower's start. If they have 100 empty units on lower Washington Street, I can't see Millennium starting work on 600 new units two blocks away.

Question for the architects/engineers on this board:
Assuming Millennium was starting from scratch on the design, how long would it take to get to a detailed enough design that they could start construction (I assume that means ~75% drawings)?

Huh? Millennium Tower is already through the DD Phase.

One also has to believe that the sales performance of Millennium Place will also play a factor in the Millennium Tower's start. If they have 100 empty units on lower Washington Street, I can't see Millennium starting work on 600 new units two blocks away.

Really? Even though the units at Filene's wouldn't be ready for 3-4 years and likely wouldn't even be on the market for a year or so after the construction starts? I think Millennium has this spaced out perfectly if they start construction in say 6-12 months or so.

Really? Even though the units at Filene's wouldn't be ready for 3-4 years and likely wouldn't even be on the market for a year or so after the construction starts? I think Millennium has this spaced out perfectly if they start construction in say 6-12 months or so.

Your lips to God's ears, but as we have seen with some of the recent condo projects downtown, sometimes 5 or 6 years isn't long enough to sell out all of the units. For example, my husband and I walked past the construction site of 45 Province during our first date in 2007. Some of those units are still on the market.

If Millennium puts shovels in the ground on Millennium Tower before closings start on MP, I'll be extremely thrilled. But it wouldn't shock me to see them wait on the start of construction until they feel they've "turned the corner" over at Hayward Place.

To those in the know, how far in advance would the creation of steel have to be started before construction begins on a project this size? In other words, do you think that the developer has already given a 'Go' to start the material processes for eventual construction?

Question for the architects/engineers on this board:
Assuming Millennium was starting from scratch on the design, how long would it take to get to a detailed enough design that they could start construction (I assume that means ~75% drawings)?

There are many ways to get the ball rolling earlier on projects. Early release (civil, underground packages, which can be put together in a couple months). Shell & Core packages with no internal detailing minus the cores, can be whipped out i nshort order as well like 6 months. Fit-out packages another 6 months, but the whole thing could be beuilt and skinned before ever issuing the interiors package.

Start to finish I'd (as an engineer) want a good 18 month design period from SD through Bidding for a project this size and complexity. So add on some up front arch. design before that. Of course nowadays, I'd be lucky to get 12 months to design this.

To those in the know, how far in advance would the creation of steel have to be started before construction begins on a project this size? In other words, do you think that the developer has already given a 'Go' to start the material processes for eventual construction?

I would say that I have seen structural packages released early at about the 75% CD stage on projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back