Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

giant hole in the ground secured for at least another year

These can be seen as two seperate projects. The Filenes building will start when a lead tenant is signed. Even if Filenes was finished and occupied the tower would not happen automaticly. I assume it's financing that is holding up the tower.

Sorry, but who from the development team or the City of Boston ever suggested the tower would be under construction by now anyway? What recent news has suggested that the start of the construction has been further delayed and won't be this summer or fall as was estimated when the project officially received approval from the BRA?

Well, I am cautiously optimistic. I will believe it when I see steel rising.

Thanks for the update Stellar, but the word "may" always bothers me.

I recognize that the article was written very optimistically, but I can't help feeling the same way about this project myself. We'll know in a few months either way.

This is the only real black mark against Menino legacy so I think he will make sure it succeeds and soon. The fact that Worldwide Arnold has a tight deadline also helps push this forward.

I'm confused. Last week, the BBJ reported that Arnold dropped its interest in Filene's due to their tight deadline. Now, the Globe reports they are close to signing on? This could/would mean:

1. The BBJ was wrong and reported bad info
2. The Globe wrote this story late last week and held it for space, and than ran the story this morning without making sure the info in the story was still accurate. (Probably unlikely, say what you will about the Globe, they aren't that sloppy)
3. Arnold was going to pull out of Filene's, but reconsidered. Whether that reconsideration was internal or external (begging on the part of Millennium, pressure from Menino administration) is unknown.

Given what's been reported about their deadline, this deal - if it's going to happen -will probably shake out pretty soon.

4. Arnold floated the idea of Back Bay location (or legitimately looked into it) as a bargaining tool to pressure Millennium to lower its price re: lease arrangment

4. Arnold floated the idea of Back Bay location (or legitimately looked into it) as a bargaining tool to pressure Millennium to lower its price re: lease arrangment

touche'

Though this does play somewhat into scenario 1 as the BBJ certainly made it seem like their move to Filene's was dead.

Still no word about the retail tenant. With Target's expressed interest in the Garden Towers and also in the Fenway, Target has been eerily silent about Filenes in recent times.

Still no word about the retail tenant. With Target's expressed interest in the Garden Towers and also in the Fenway, Target has been eerily silent about Filenes in recent times.

The wild card is Wegmans. According to the Globe story, Millennium wants a grocery store. Danny Wegman hinted last year that he wants to do an urban format store and thought Boston would be a good candidate.

I have no inside information, but this site seems like a perfect fit.

The wild card is Wegmans. According to the Globe story, Millennium wants a grocery store. Danny Wegman hinted last year that he wants to do an urban format store and thought Boston would be a good candidate.

I've said it before in this thread, but a grocery/drug store connected to the T on the Shopping Concourse like the one in Karstadt connected to Berlin's U-Hermannplatz is ideal for this location.

There still needs to be something above it though. Target seems ideal because their grocery store cold be in the basement and then home goods, clothes, electronics, etc on the floors above. Starbucks (Target's partner) could find itself a prominent spot on the ground floor along the street.

I hope this pans out, Wegmans would be a great addition to this part of Boston. For what its worth the rumor here (Rochester, NY) is that Wegmans is working on a deal to locate to Downtown Crossing.

I wonder if Lamberts has the capability to launch a full scale grocery store. It would be nice to see a local company set up shop in there.

I have a strange feeling it will end up being Wegmans.

I am a little concerned about the current plan to build this in phases. Rehab first and then the tower. I am worried it could be several more years before they even start the tower portion of the project which means 5-6 more years before it is finished. I hope I am wrong.

This is the only real black mark against Menino legacy so I think he will make sure it succeeds and soon.

I think there could be an entire thread to discuss this statement.

I think Target lost all interest when there was no good way to do a loading dock to meet their needs.

I am a little concerned about the current plan to build this in phases. Rehab first and then the tower. I am worried it could be several more years before they even start the tower portion of the project which means 5-6 more years before it is finished. I hope I am wrong.

All that means is that you have to wait a bit. Yes, you ARE going to have to wait before the tower is built. Patience is a virtue. This is actually the MOST responsible way of funding and building this project. This kind of security ensures that the building will actually be built. You can't just blindly build a tower. It doesn't work. See Columbus Center and Trans-National Place.

Would you rather have a 5-6 year wait and have a tower or have a 10-20-30-whatever year wait to secure obscure funding to build this tower and still have no tower?

Why would Target's need for a loading dock be different from Filene's, and Filene's Basement's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back