Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

FYI...during the BRA presentations, Millennium said that this would be a cast-in-place concrete structure. Not sure if this materially changes the lead time needed for materials, but I just through I would throw that out there, as there won't be a ton of structural steel in this project.

I don't disagree that Millenium will need to see how Hayward does before committing on this tower. It's also disappointing that places like 45 Province and W Residences can't sell out. That being said there is a major difference in living in a building that just pokes above the skyline and one that soars over it. This will offer a living space you can't get anywhere else in Boston. The highest place you can live now is the Harbor Towers and those turd lumps are nothing like this. Tough to judge a dynamic that's never been seen before. It will be exciting to see how it folds out now and over a long period of time to if we keep building these 275" condo high-rises or if Boston can bring in the big ones.

FYI...during the BRA presentations, Millennium said that this would be a cast-in-place concrete structure. Not sure if this materially changes the lead time needed for materials, but I just through I would throw that out there, as there won't be a ton of structural steel in this project.
I doubt that the tower will be cast-in-place concrete, only the core. The base (lower floors) of a cast-in-place tower would lose so much space because the concrete columns would be so thick.

Plus, the seismic loads on such a structure.

mexico_guerrero_michoacan_concrete2.jpg

^^^ cast-in-place concrete parking garage

I doubt that the tower will be cast-in-place concrete, only the core. The base (lower floors) of a cast-in-place tower would lose so much space because the concrete columns would be so thick.

Plus, the seismic loads on such a structure.

mexico_guerrero_michoacan_concrete2.jpg

^^^ cast-in-place concrete parking garage

Nope. 55-stories of cast-in-place concrete is the plan. No steel. There are plenty of highrises all over the world made of concrete.

Nope. 55-stories of cast-in-place concrete is the plan. No steel. There are plenty of highrises all over the world made of concrete.

True. I was at a meeting where they mentioned this would be concrete. While it's probably a good thing for this that we see limited seismic activity, concrete strength is reaching insane amounts of psi and taller cast-in-place structures are being built, like 432 Park Avenue in New York City.

Funny to see Vornado involved in 432 Park Ave

^ Good stuff!

Another good example of a cast-in-place concrete structure is the Marina City complex in Chicago. It's 587 feet tall with 65 floors.

Marina City, Chicago IL.

The home improvement section of a car forum I used to post on had a guy living in a concrete highrise in China posting. They are really, really common over there. His unfortunately had a massive mold issue due to moisture wicking through the concrete, but I would chalk that up to shoddy construction and the fact the walls are typically left bare there.

Should have allowed for drying out time before moving to the next phase.

The home improvement section of a car forum I used to post on had a guy living in a concrete highrise in China posting. They are really, really common over there. His unfortunately had a massive mold issue due to moisture wicking through the concrete, but I would chalk that up to shoddy construction and the fact the walls are typically left bare there.

True cast in place buildings do not meet energy code as they currently stand. You will not see it unless they are built in two shells. Two shells = construction cost x 2. This concept is solidly in the past in our country.

cca

Autoclaved aerated concrete meets the IECC standards.

giant hole in the ground secured for at least another year

True cast in place buildings do not meet energy code as they currently stand. You will not see it unless they are built in two shells. Two shells = construction cost x 2. This concept is solidly in the past in our country.

cca
Germany doesn't even build with steel anymore. Everything is concrete. I met architects (who were my professors) that didn't even know how to properly detail steel. The same phenomenon is happening throughout Europe and Asia and is slowly, but surely migrating to the US. Millennium Place III is all CIP concrete as well as 319A Rear. Both are residences.

Autoclaved aerated concrete meets the IECC standards.
Precisely. The air acts as insulation.

Germany doesn't even build with steel anymore. Everything is concrete. I met architects (who were my professors) that didn't even know how to properly detail steel.

What would Mies say?

Another fun fact is that they insulate the exterior of concrete, whereas in the US we only insulate the interior.

Where is Met Life going?

Might be an obvious answer, but is there a big time to complete difference and or man power need for steel vs. concrete?

The new apartment building on A-Street is CIP, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back