Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

I really hope those light bars spanning multiple floors on the side of the actual tower are for real... could look really cool if they light them with different colors at night.

they better make it as gorgeous as it looks in the renderings. my hopes are really high for this one but so are my standards

Right there with you. I'm optimistic that Millennium will follow through.

I'm actually quite disappointed by this more final rendering. Originally, I thought the architect was working to not add yet another flat roof to the skyline, especially one so prominent as Millennium Tower. I'd understand if they were doing something with it, but at this altitude, you'd probably have winds too turbulent for something like a pool or roof deck. Earlier renderings made it look like the roof would at least consist of a slightly slanted utility hood at the top.

^ The roof angle makes this whole project "quite disappointing" to you?

IMO this design is the far superior one.

a1e654d205a368cf8a826935158fbf5b.jpg

boston_millennium-tower-boston_1.jpg

boston-condos-millennium-tower.jpg

Agree, the base of the renders Stick n Move posted is far better than what is in the video.

The video shows a big, dumb (the appropriate word here), oblong cube that appears to be made of the hideous ceramic/plastic tiles that are a trademark of the worst contemporary cheap-o buildings in the world, from the budget hotels destroying NYC's Garment District to the outskirts of a Second World Beirut or Moscow. The architects try to divert attention from this by tarting up their oblong cubewith a few (randomly placed) oversized windows and LED lights.

Aside from generally looking trashy, the base shown in the video doesn't appear to relate in any way to the tower rising out of it. Here's hoping this is not what the final product looks like.

Completely agreed with the above. I was pretty disappointed with what the video showed for the base. It looked so sloppy and disjointed from the rest of the tower. We don't need gimmick light shows here, we need life/animation of the base levels. The shiny renders above have a much more successful and transparent base.

video has also dropped the stairs/subway entrance combo

Right there with you. I'm optimistic that Millennium will follow through.

Ya, they did a good job on their other buildings. They also seem to work really hard on their interior spaces carefully selecting art (including a couple pieces by my mother). They seem to really care about quality, unlike a lot of Boston developers.

I'm pretty sure that's the old rendering. MP still has the latest rending on their website.

This might be a naive question, but is there anything that holds a developer accountable to the design that is accepted? What prevents them from presenting an architectural gem and then VEing it into an eyesore? Shouldn't developers be held accountable?

This might be a naive question, but is there anything that holds a developer accountable to the design that is accepted? What prevents them from presenting an architectural gem and then VEing it into an eyesore? Shouldn't developers be held accountable?

Nope. The only things that require a NPC to be filed are program, height, and massing changes.

I am loving the new podium. Disjointed from the tower? maybe, but it ads a modern sculptural element to an area that needs it.

We don't need gimmick light shows here, we need life/animation of the base levels.

And considering the gimmicky light blades tacked onto the godawful base of the original Millennium Place condo tower down the street, it isn't past them to give us crap like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back