Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic shot down Franklin St!! Would love to see this replicated this summer. Could definitely be a photo of the year.

I have a crane question. I saw this over the weekend and the top part was low and horizontal. Now its at like a 145 degree? Can the ones on the seaport that are horizontal do this too? Also, I've heard the crane jumping thing, but how exactly does this work? Further, how tall is too tall for a crane on the ground where it has to go on top of the building and then how does that work exactly?

Last night, PBS broadcast the third installment of its four part series, Super Skyscrapers, highlighting the Shanghai Tower, China's tallest (2,073 ft). There were four cranes attached to the core near the top with, if I remember correctly, brackets having to be welded to the core each time a crane's height had to be increased. The heights of the cranes were no more than several stories, staying above the floors with completed exteriors. The welders and the inspector who had to check their work had to be fearless of heights. It is an exciting series for sidewalk supervisors. Next weeks program highlights One57 in New York City, the western hemisphere's tallest residential building.

I never thought I would ever say this, but those buildings are too tall.

no waaaay. For their locations? Maybe. I for one can't wait to see 432 park (thats the same as 111 57th right?) That's the one that's supposed to be ultra skinny. I think it's going to look awesome.

no waaaay. For their locations? Maybe. I for one can't wait to see 432 park (thats the same as 111 57th right?) That's the one that's supposed to be ultra skinny. I think it's going to look awesome.

432 park and 111 57th are two separate projects, very close together

432 park and 111 57th are two separate projects, very close together

gotcha, for some reason i thought 432 park changed it's name (or maybe it changed to 432 park from something else?)

Anyway, 111 57th is the super skinny 1,300' tower, correct? I just can't keep track of all of them as NYC seems to build so much so effortlessly.

gotcha, for some reason i thought 432 park changed it's name (or maybe it changed to 432 park from something else?)

Anyway, 111 57th is the super skinny 1,300' tower, correct? I just can't keep track of all of them as NYC seems to build so much so effortlessly.

Correct..111 57th is extremely skinny and has an almost whimsical, bowed design. It should be quite striking if built as rendered. Based on what I've read on the skyscraperpage forums, the developer has lined up financing and pulled permits. The site is already cleared and work should be imminent.

432 park is pretty skinny in its own right. I believe it may have started life as 440 Park Ave, which is why you might have thought there was a name change.

On the west side of 57th street the same developer who built One 57 is planning a 1,400 foot tower that will be anchored by what I'm told will be Manhattan's first Nordstrom store. (Hard to believe)

Last edited:
This is 432 Park, taller than the WTC to the roof and thin as hell! (I think it's 1398', currently over halfway up)

Oh yeah, and there are definitely plans for an even thinner (but almost as tall) supertall nearby!

tumblr_mhtx88IkEi1s3r80lo1_1280.jpg

Correct..111 57th is extremely skinny and has an almost whimsical, bowed design. It should be quite striking if built as rendered. Based on what I've read on the skyscraperpae forums, the developer has lined up financing and pulled permits. The site is already cleared and work should be imminent.

432 park is pretty skinny in its own right. I believe it may have started life as 440 Park Ave, which is why you might have thought there was a name change.

On the west side of 57th street the same developer who built One 57 is planning a 1,400 foot tower that will be anchored by what I'm told will be Manhattan's first Nordstrom store. (Hard to believe)

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I would kill just to see one 1,000' tower in Boston.

Also, what is this skyscraper forum you speak of?

Last night, PBS broadcast the third installment of its four part series, Super Skyscrapers, highlighting the Shanghai Tower, China's tallest (2,073 ft). There were four cranes attached to the core near the top with, if I remember correctly, brackets having to be welded to the core each time a crane's height had to be increased. The heights of the cranes were no more than several stories, staying above the floors with completed exteriors. The welders and the inspector who had to check their work had to be fearless of heights. It is an exciting series for sidewalk supervisors. Next weeks program highlights One57 in New York City, the western hemisphere's tallest residential building.

Wonder if the Shanghai Tower would be interested in hiring these guys;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDYtH1RH-U

Yeah, that area of NYC is getting ready for (I think) five buildings, all real close by, all over 1000', with another two or three over 750'. Pretty crazy.

Also, what is this skyscraper forum you speak of?

Look at skyscraperpage and skyscrapercity.
Page also has the diagrams which are a very useful tool.
City has the more comprehensive forum, particularly for international projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back