Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Washington Street side of the tower seems to be moving much slower than the rest as evidenced by your last picture. The are already pouring and leveling concrete on the first above ground floor in most spots but the Washington street side isn't even built up to the first floor yet. Seems strange that in some spots the first floor has been poured and in others there aren't even any supports and they are still doing lots of below ground work.

IIRC Franklin Street isn't level, so the back of it is lower than the Washington street facing side

Looks like the interior of the Burnham building is almost complete. With so much attention on the tower, I almost forgot about that building.

No pics but it looks like the Washington St side is almost fully built up to the first floor. It had a full set of scaffolding anyway. I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure am impatient for them to finish this podium and get going on the tower!!!

Thursday and Friday there was a ton of yellow-clad poles/scaffolding-type material (most of it put up between Wednesday and Thursday, but a bunch of it is visible in the picture above - what is that? It doesn't look like a permanent component of the building, but also looks too flimsy to support any real weight for doing anything else...?

Thursday and Friday there was a ton of yellow-clad poles/scaffolding-type material (most of it put up between Wednesday and Thursday, but a bunch of it is visible in the picture above - what is that? It doesn't look like a permanent component of the building, but also looks too flimsy to support any real weight for doing anything else...?

The yellow poles you are describing are temporary supports to hold up the slab formwork while the floor slab is poured. When the slab is cured/done, the supports are removed and moved to the next floor to repeat the process.

jkb2JWa.jpg

w76rDD8.jpg

They are using the Peri Sky Deck system for their concrete formwork. This is composed of flat composite panels that are supported by the yellow jacks you see in the photos.

The formwork panels can be stripped after about 24 hours after concrete is placed (this is all dependent on the specified concrete mix) but the yellow jacks must remain as reshores until the concrete reaches a certain percentage of its specified strength. Depending on engineering, these jacks are required for +/- 3 weeks after the deck is placed. (I use 3 weeks as a guide but this all depends on strength of concrete and the mix used). To speed up the process, a new round of these yellow Peri jacks can be erected on top of the newly placed deck as early as the next day and the next cycle repeats itself. What holds this cycle up is that you have a core and multiple shear walls on the floor. This is why you often see these large CIP buildings being placed in 2 sections. This way while one crew is working on the vertical sections of one half of the building footprint, a separate crew is working on the flat section for the second half of the building and they will repeat this process all the way up the building.

Way more interesting and fun than steel beams and columns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007
The yellow poles you are describing are temporary supports to hold up the slab formwork while the floor slab is poured. When the slab is cured/done, the supports are removed and moved to the next floor to repeat the process.

They are using the Peri Sky Deck system for their concrete formwork. This is composed of flat composite panels that are supported by the yellow jacks you see in the photos.

The formwork panels can be stripped after about 24 hours after concrete is placed (this is all dependent on the specified concrete mix) but the yellow jacks must remain as reshores until the concrete reaches a certain percentage of its specified strength. Depending on engineering, these jacks are required for +/- 3 weeks after the deck is placed. (I use 3 weeks as a guide but this all depends on strength of concrete and the mix used). To speed up the process, a new round of these yellow Peri jacks can be erected on top of the newly placed deck as early as the next day and the next cycle repeats itself. What holds this cycle up is that you have a core and multiple shear walls on the floor. This is why you often see these large CIP buildings being placed in 2 sections. This way while one crew is working on the vertical sections of one half of the building footprint, a separate crew is working on the flat section for the second half of the building and they will repeat this process all the way up the building.

Way more interesting and fun than steel beams and columns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007

Thanks for the info Azimuth. Can you shed some light on the process of stripping the formwork panels that you mentioned? How are the panels stripped if the concrete is poured over/on top of them? Clearly the concrete must somehow not come into contact with the panels but I am having trouble envisioning how the formwork panels are stripped after the concrete is placed. Thanks!

There is a quick release lever on the peri jack which will drop the panel a few inches from the bottom of the slab. The laborers hit the quick release, drop the panels, then shimmey the panel out between the surrounding jacks. This allows the peri jack to remain in its erect position to fully support the slab above with out detensioning it to remove any panels.

I am trying to figure out how to upload some pictures to show you.

Thanks for the info Azimuth. Can you shed some light on the process of stripping the formwork panels that you mentioned? How are the panels stripped if the concrete is poured over/on top of them? Clearly the concrete must somehow not come into contact with the panels but I am having trouble envisioning how the formwork panels are stripped after the concrete is placed. Thanks!

14900066361_83195c5464_b.jpg

14903119125_eb099bdc34_b.jpg

14716446810_5b48a7f92c_b.jpg

14900061861_440903d304_b.jpg

14716448060_bb36907ce3_b.jpg

14900057031_de1fb5c632_b.jpg

14716565897_3dc76ab07c_b.jpg

14880118146_8450eeb52c_b.jpg

14716435720_69663b6811_b.jpg

14716434600_82884a951c_b.jpg

14880113876_d2a0d24ffc_b.jpg

14880112666_30ee0f5f25_b.jpg

14716467909_40c7ec8cef_b.jpg

14716559607_fc55d3dea0_b.jpg

14716554987_43e0e896fa_b.jpg

14902750652_17b249374f_b.jpg

14903091765_1b04c905b8_b.jpg

14716548957_ca912fa1a5_b.jpg

14716413420_174863f9d7_b.jpg

14716478798_7e340704da_b.jpg

14900023061_0d35c859dc_b.jpg

14716403520_6d09318a57_b.jpg

14716470438_68c864f914_b.jpg

Oh look, our new friend Azimuth wasn't lying about the concrete system...

14716528787_c6d2206c07_b.jpg

I guess you could say this project is doing it Peri-style, amirite?!

14880082386_270a4209ff_b.jpg

And one last look at Summer Street:

14900012571_cc6fc998d2_b.jpg

Fantastic pix as usual! I love the individual moments you've managed to capture.

See, these are the photos that BostInno should be posting on their weekly Millennium Tower updates, not blurry iPhone pix at night. Their Millennium Tower feature drives me crazy because their "reporter" has no idea about anything related to architecture/construction and the photo captions are ridiculous.

Given the sordid history of this site, I'll admit to watching this site over the past year or so with a somewhat cautious eye. But walking by there yesterday and now seeing these latest picks, I'll admit, I'm having a hard time containing my excitement.

I loooooooooooooove the treatment that Winter Street is getting, not only for the aesthetics, but also because it is level with the curb.

(nitpicking here) It's actually Summer St. We in Boston like to say that it's the only place on earth where Winter flows directly into Summer.

(nitpicking here) It's actually Summer St. We in Boston like to say that it's the only place on earth where Winter flows directly into Summer.

I'm pretty sure that in many years, Boston's winter does flow directly into summer.

I get that it was probably a tenant request, but the only thing I don't like about the Burnham restoration is how they broke the canopy along Winter St for that stupid modern opening.

The picture from Hawley St is particularly exciting, you can really make out an actual building forming there, instead of a mess of jacks and scaffolding.

I hope the new tower spans some redevelopment of the garage across Franklin St. So ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back